CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Quint Fischer

Profile:
Swatting Flies With A Wrecking Ball

Hello all...

Been CrossFitting since December of 2007 and I've decided to begin my version of the Hybrid Program, originally developed by Gant Grimes. Hopefully, logging it here will keep me honest and prevent me from using my two jobs as an excuse to not work out. With the personal help of Steven Low, Jesse Woody, and others, I'm hoping this is a huge success.

A little about myself:
I'm currently an assistant trainer at Primal Fitness in DC.

24/5'8"/155#

Fran: 7:41 (stop laughing)
Cindy: 19 rounds
Angie: 16:30
FGB: 281
Deadlift: 315#
Squat: 275#
Press: 155#
30 Muscle-ups: 6:01

My goals are to significantly improve all of these numbers (and others) as well as develop proficiency in the Olympic lifts. I'll also be working to achieve a freestanding handstand, front levers, and other gymnastics skills. The main purpose is overall strength gain to hopefully improve metcon times. Steve's already got me drinking a gallon of whole milk a day. Diving in headfirst on Monday.

Thanks for checking out my log and feel free to comment, advise, or shamelessly ridicule as needed...

Quote Of The Day: "The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen." -Lee Iacocca
Old 11-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Re: Swatting Flies With A Wrecking Ball

Awesome name for your log.

Your time on the 30 MU is ****ing killer.

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Quint Fischer

Profile:

Finally got this thing going. Would've started yesterday but Mark conned me into driving him to Home Depot.

1) Warm-up
2) 10 Minute Handstand work
3) Clean/Jerk technique - will be going for heavy loads in a few weeks; for now just focusing on form
4) Deadlift 5x1 - 315 / 325 / 330(f) / 325 / 330(pr)
5) Metcon
3 Rounds:
15 GHD Sit-ups
10 Two KB thrusters (20kg each)
5 Weighted pull-ups (40#)
Time: 4:22

Totally underestimated what those thrusters would do to me. Serious Fran-lung, pumped about that DL PR, and almost done with my gallon of milk...

Quote Of The Day: "All I do is track a profane route to something (I hope) profound. Like swimming a river of s*** for a kiss." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Quint Fischer

Profile:

Haven't felt this sore in a while. Glad to be hitting WODs hard again...

1) Warm-up
2) OH Squat work - definitely have the strength for these but my flexibility is garbage; constantly doing shoulder dislocates and working on thoracic mobility
3) Snatch technique - still going light and focusing on form; hopefully getting some Do-Wins for Christmas
4) Press 5x1 - 145 / 150 / 155(f) / 150 / 155(f)
5) Metcon
15-12-9:
KB Swings (70#)
Weighted Ring Dips (20#)
Time: 4:39

Travis Graves did this one with me... and subsequently smoked me by almost two minutes. Still mad at him for it. Those ring dips definitely catch up on you.

Quote Of The Day: "My goal for the rest of my life is to win the Crossfit Games." -Freddy C. (as seen in Comments on the Games page)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Quint Fischer

Profile:

11/24/2008

Unfortunately, I've missed a few days due to ridiculous soreness, traveling back home to CT, and possibly a slight case of pulmonary edema. Such is life...

I was pressed for time yesterday because I put my brother through a scaled "Christine." He wasn't a fan.

1) Warm-up
2) 5 Minutes of Front Lever progressions
3) Metcon
3 Rounds:
5 Clean & Jerks @ 135#
5 Muscle-ups
Time: 5:47

Should've been faster but getting the last three muscle-ups killed me. Probably should've gone a bit heavier on the weight but I was preparing for Tuesday's WOD...

Quote Of The Day: "The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Quint Fischer

Profile:

11/25/2008

Nothing quite like waking up at 5AM to workout in a garage in central CT... and it's about 30 degrees. Cold bars suck...

During the entire six hour drive from DC, I kept wanting to do a scaled version of "King Kong," but I was worried about the weight on the squat cleans, especially considering I'm not terribly confident in that particular movement. Regardless, I warmed up, practiced my technique, and got after it...

1) Warm-up
2) Metcon
"Mini-Kong"
3 Rounds:
1 Deadlift @ 315#
2 Muscle-ups
3 Squat Cleans @ 177#
4 Handstand Push-ups
Time: 7:34

Probably could've been faster, but I failed on a few of the squat cleans and was more focused on moving all that weight efficiently. In all honesty, one of the most fun I've ever had during a WOD. Still... no where near Josh Everett's level. Few human beings are, I suppose.

My boy Drew actually took a video of me doing this so hopefully I'll have a link for it in a few days...

Quote Of The Day: "Want to strip fat off your body? Intensity. Want to do it while preserving all your lean muscle mass? Intensity. How about stronger, denser bones? Intensity. Would you like to move all your cholesterol levels in the right direction? Intensity. It doesn’t matter what your fitness goals are. If you want to improve how you look, feel, and perform the answers are intensity, intensity, intensity." -Brendan Gilliam (as seen on the CrossFit Coastal blog)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Quint Fischer

Profile:

Unfortunately, the holidays, travel, and my hours (I work 9PM to 7AM Wednesday night through Saturday morning) totally screwed me last week. I haven't worked out since the Mini Kong effort and I slacked off big time on the milk. Despite all this, I'm back at it now and currently finishing up a gallon for the day.

AM:
1) Back Squat 5x3 - 225 / 235 / 235(f2) / 235(f2) / 230

Previous 3RM was 265# or so, but this time, as dictated by Gant, I was getting as low as humanly possible. The 6-8 inch change in depth makes a HUGE difference. Looking forward to improving these numbers dramatically.

PM:
1) Warm-up
2) 10 Minutes of Handstand / Front Lever work
3) Metcon
3 Rounds: (all with 25# vest)
10 Box Jumps (34" box)
10 Lunges
10 Pull-ups
Time: 4:59

Definitely enjoyable, but after all that leg work today I'm terrified how they're gonna feel tomorrow. Time to stretch.

Quote Of The Day: "Optimism is not a choice, it's a belief." -August Burns Red
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Quint Fischer

Profile:

Legs are completely obliterated right now. Stretching, foam rolling, and walking like Clay Aiken on his first night at Rikers Island.

AM:
1) Push Press 7x1 - 135 / 145 / 155 / 165 / 175(f) / 170(f) / 170

Not too happy about these numbers, but glad I got that 170 up to finish it off.

PM:
1) Warm-up
2) Metcon
3 Rounds:
10 Jumping Sit-ups
10 Clapping Push-ups (feet on 20" box)
10 Knees To Elbow
Time: 4:53

Not a terribly heavy WOD, but quick and intense. Need to get back on the Oly lifts. Pretty pumped for some heavy deads tomorrow. One gallon down easy today.

As promised, here's a link to the video of me doing "Mini Kong." Should be wfs, although there may be an F-bomb in the song somewhere. Otherwise, the only really offensive thing is my form on the squat cleans. Sure, I've never done squat cleans that heavy before, but still... gross.

Quote Of The Day: "Some people are just born human. The rest of us, we take a lifetime to get there." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
David Schneider

Profile:

You're doing strong **** around here Quint!

I saw your "Mini-Kong" video, that was some serious work. I was thinking of doing a "Diddy Kong" WOD here soon myself...

I'm diggin' your Metcons too man, soild movements with awesome times!

Keep swattin' those flies
Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Lovin' the quotes!