CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Shaun Ward

Profile:
Hello everyone,

I started Crossfit about 3 weeks ago and need some advise. Although it has not been that long I am starting to get frusterated. I have tightened up my nutrition, been doing the WOD (I have done some variations since I can not comlete some of the exercises yet). I am a big guy @ 250lbs and over the last 3 weeks I have actually put on almost 5lbs and it does not feel like muscle, I feel like a water balloon. The only thing I can think of is my MD put me on Bactrim for a Staph infection recently. I have also been doing MMA (split sessions). Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
shaun, that's 2% of your bodyweight and easily could be mostly muscle. i started at 199 six weeks ago and now weigh 202. i'm definitely eating more, but eating more healthy foods and much more protein. i look in the mirror and can definitely see good changes, and i think you will in the near future. don't sweat it yet, and keep up the scaled wod's.

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

maybe a nutritionist or physiologist could comment here, but i think your body tries to fight the fat loss for a while, particularly while adding muscle, until it becomes a fat burning machine through the exercise and proper diet.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Hard to say but medication may have some side affects...read the label.

First time in...you will always gain muscle first...just a natural process. Other than that, look at your sodium intake and make sure it is low...get more potassium (natural source) if you feel like you are retaining water.

Eat enough protein, enough fats for fuel and less carbs...and you will be dropping fat and be starving all day long!

Just a quick overview without getting into detailed diet info
Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Shaun,

When I started crossfit i went from 217 to 229 and was like WTF ? I thought I was eating zone friendly and technically i was but i was just eating WAY too much. Buy the book Mastering the Zone and do the calculations and measurements to find out what your LBM is and how many blocks you need per day.

I was shocked at how much I was over-eating. Maybe your not but its better too find out now rather than later.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Shaun Ward

Profile:
Thanks for the advise! I guess i'll hide the scale for another few weeks. I also just bought a bf% scale but I need to go get a caliper test.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #6
Jerry Berg

Profile:

yo shaun...i've been doing crossfit about the same time as you...i'm up 6 or 7 lbs too.

someone once told me that diet/nutrition were about 90% of ftness...they were right.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
maybe a nutritionist or physiologist could comment here, but i think your body tries to fight the fat loss for a while, particularly while adding muscle, until it becomes a fat burning machine through the exercise and proper diet.

I agree that there is a transitional period where the body doesn't burn the excess fat coming in. While it is still used to being a pasta and white bread dumpster the extra fat most likely will get stored like it had been in the past.

Like a lot of things, it will get worse before it gets better. And if you do it right, it will get a lot better.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
John Griffis

Profile:
Shaun

I'm experiencing that as well (feeling "softer" a couple of weeks into the WOD'). I attribute it to cutting back on conventional boring aerobic stuff which, in the hot sun, roasts alot of water weight off of you.

I've decided to stick with and follow the advice of the folks on the board who are in a heck of alot better shape than me. I'm also cutting WAY back on the wine and carbs. If nothing else, just doing that has given more energy and alertness. And after a couple of weeks, I think I'm beginning to feel things tightening back up again.

(Message edited by grif on October 06, 2006)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/31168.html

i posted this in testimonials but i think it's good here regarding worries about initial weight gains.