CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Brent Ramos

Profile:
Knee/leg pain

Hello crossfitters, I'm back again with another injury.

So I was running last night and I was on about mile two out of three and I began to feel pain in my left knee area. I just pushed through it and finished strong but I cooled down and drove home and when I got out of the car I noticed that my knee area on my left leg was hurting.

As the night progressed it would become more painful to walk, it was as if I had a certain amount of steps and I would feel something tighten up and begin to hurt in the same area. I went to bed and the next day (today) it wasn't that bad, I felt it a bit while walking around school but it felt as if it would wear off and come back again, it would ebb away then return depending on my step length; the longer the step, the more it would begin to hurt (just a little though).

I decided to try and do a SLOW two miles today and I made it about a mile and it began hurting on a hill, I found that shortening my stride and spreading my feet out a little bit as I ran would result in the pain ebbing away, but it would return.

It feels as if it's a ligament or something, I'm not anatomically educated but I know it's not a muscle, it feels as if it goes from my *** area down to my knee.

When I sit in the car and lean my left leg against the door I can feel it hurting a little, just the slightest pressure induces a small bit of discomfort.

The pain isn't excruciating but it gets a bit painful, enough to make me stop running.

Any ideas as to WHAT it is that's injured and how to prevent it?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Knee/leg pain

Well, you didn't say where the pain was, and if you're getting some radicular symptoms from the sciatic nerve you should likely see a physical therapist about that as well.

Unless you want a random guess on a message board in which case you need to provide a lot more information about where the pain is (with a google marked picture preferably), what exercises hurt, what type of pain it is, chronic/acute, other orthopedic issues, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Brent Ramos

Profile:

The pain is acute, it just started two days ago and ONLY flares up while running at certain times

I did a slow mile today and it didn't hurt bad at all, but I felt it beginning to become irritated so I stopped to walk a few steps, stretched my legs and kept going.

Like I said, it feels as if it's in the knee area but it doesn't feel like a bone or muscle pain, it feels as if it runs through my leg, which leads me to believe that it could be a nerve or something that's swollen or something.

When it hurts, my leg feels as if it wants to remain straight, in other words, it's the bending that occurs in running that induces the pain.

It feels better today, it doesn't hurt while walking, however it did hurt a little while running, like I previously mentioned

I have been running in boots and a weight vest for the past few months, could it be something from the extra weight of the boots?

I apoologize for the ambiguity of this, it's just hard to pinpoint exctly where ir hurts.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Uhhh, why would run in boots and a weighted vest?

Definitely get rid of that.

Really need more information than what you gave on location and times or portions of exercise on where the pain is.

Again, prolly best to see a physical therapist on that since this is just random guesswork.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Brent Ramos

Profile:

Alright, thanks for trying Steven. I'll see if it improves and if it doesn't then I'll go to the doctor in a few days.