CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Brent Ramos

Profile:
Hip stretching

I've been doing a lot more air squats and kettlebell exercises lately and I've noticed a problem with my hips/legs.

I always do these exercises after a good run so I'm quite warmed up by the time I begin, however, I don't think the correct areas are warmed up and I wanted to ask you guys for a good stretch that will help me improve.

I've always been tall, I'm about 6'1, and when I do my first set of squats it's always really hard to get my *** low, something in my hips or that area feels really tight and my first set always sucks.

Each subsequent set feels better and better, and by maybe the fourth or fifth set of squats/kettlebell swings I can really get my *** below my knees. I've tried stretching different areas but I can't seem to isolate an area that helps me attain proper squatting form.

It has something to do with my knees wanting to spread outward when I squat, it's very difficult to force them to remain centered.

I think this also causes problems for me when I deadlift and perform cleans, both have led to injury.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Re: Hip stretching

Hey Brent,

As far as KBs go, your butt doesn't have to be below your knees. I get low enough to set my back and get hamstring tension and then explode with my hips.

A run may not be the best warm up. If you're squatting, you want to warm up by doing squats with the barbell only, then 50% of work set weight, then 70%. It should look like 5x barbell only, 5x 50% work set, 3x 70%. You can tailor it to your preferences but the idea is to work the actual movement and not get tired before you do your workset. 2-5 minutes of leisurely rowing with an increase in intensity at the end is also a good total body exercise that will help you get warmed up and not tax you terribly.

You actually want your knees to be shoved out during squats. They should not be locked and centered. Are you squatting on a smith machine? If so, stop that and use a power rack with a free standing barbell instead. I suggest you search Starting Strength on wikipedia and go to the stub page for an explanation of squat form. Even better, buy Starting Strength if you plan on doing heavy squats. "Shove the knees out" is an important cue for squats and if you're keeping them centered, that could be your problem.

Go here http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ WFS and look up hip mobility and stretches.

Last edited by Colin McLafferty; 02-17-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

Sounds like you could really benefit from seeing a certified strength coach or similar and get an assessment of your movements. These movements should be helping your hip mobility, not hindering it.

Colin already pointed out that for swings your butt should be pushed back but not down into a squat position. Squats you should always be trying to push your knees out.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Zach, I was just up in Duluth hiking the Lake Superior Trail. CFFB used my photo of the trail as their WOD after I got back, small world!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Zach S

Profile:

Nice! It is a small world when your visiting duluth, what was your reason for coming up?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Michael Ingley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Nice! It is a small world when your visiting duluth, what was your reason for coming up?
"Zach, I was just up in Duluth hiking the Lake Superior Trail."
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you check out www.70sbig.com (WFS) today's post has a video demonstrating what I would consider the three essential stretches for lower body mobility in terms of squatting. Do them along with a little lacrosse ball and foam rolling and you should be golden.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
"Zach, I was just up in Duluth hiking the Lake Superior Trail."
I dont think someone would travel from pittsburgh to duluth just to hike a trail. Although i could be wrong.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Haha well Zach I did go up there just to hike on the trail but it was sort of a special occasion too since I wasn't far from MN at the time. I actually got lost on the trail the first night and was banging my water bottle really loudly and clapping to ward off bears, etc. It turned into a "Find your way back on the trail and high tail it to the campground for time" WOD