CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ramos View Post
I have a quick question that I hope some of you guys can answer. I frequently notice people mentioning that overtraining leads to weight gain. If that's the case, how come so many candidates at OCS this summer LOST weight? We were eating anywhere from probably 4000-6000 calories away and thought we only had formal PT ~4 days a week, we route-stepped and ran all over the place in boots/MARPAT/assault packs/rifles all day, and mostly every candidate lost weight.

As previously mentioned by Eric, all sorts of stressors were placed on us, plus we averaged 4-6 hours of sleep a night, if that's not overtraning, then what is? How did we manage to lose weight?
Because you ran all over the place in full gear, thereby burning a boatload of calories.

Katherine
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Robinson View Post
My two cents worth...and possible a hormone CORTISOL connection, given you are eating only ONCE a day...esp. at the end of the day?

With the energy expenditure you are describing, your body may be wanting 5-6 little smart meals, not ONE at the end of the day...our bodies adapt to famine/starvation, and a metabolically efficient body burns more calories/fat and shifts body composition given the tools such as timing of fuel, rest, fuel intake...

you are going to get a lot more smarter TRUTHS in this post...:stir:
Most of everything you said about fasting is false. do yourself a favor and check out http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html (WFS)

if you have been cutting calories to compensate for you weight loss consider a refeed to get your leptin levels back up.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Because you ran all over the place in full gear, thereby burning a boatload of calories.

Katherine
...probably losing lots of muscle along the way.

One of our gym members just came back from military camp (dunno what it is...Marines, Army, not sure which) and joined us in one of our WODs over the holidays. He had been one of our strongest and fastest guys before he went to camp. After 6-8 months (maybe longer) at camp, he is now much leaner, lighter, and faster, but his strength has gone (as he describes it) to sh_t.

Body weight isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a perfect indicator of health and fitness. He was grumbling the whole time about his lost strength. And (my opinion only), despite being much leaner now, he doesn't look nearly as physically fit as he did before he left.

- Mark
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
Brent Ramos

Profile:

Just posting an update. I went paleo about two weeks ago when I created this thread. I've been pretty strict and I'm down to 208. I'm going to remain strict on paleo until I get around 200. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Have you gotten your bodyfat checked out yet?