CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Weight gain

if you've gained muscle why do you want to lose it? just curious, and yes that would help lose the muscle
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Throw your scale away. No seriously, throw it away.

Judge your progress based on how you are performing in the gym, and how you look in the mirror.

I've gained weight since I started CrossFitting, and I am much leaner and more muscular that I was before CF.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Elke Robinson

Profile:

My two cents worth...and possible a hormone CORTISOL connection, given you are eating only ONCE a day...esp. at the end of the day?

With the energy expenditure you are describing, your body may be wanting 5-6 little smart meals, not ONE at the end of the day...our bodies adapt to famine/starvation, and a metabolically efficient body burns more calories/fat and shifts body composition given the tools such as timing of fuel, rest, fuel intake...

you are going to get a lot more smarter TRUTHS in this post...:stir:
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Brent Ramos

Profile:

I'm in a program to become an officer in the Marine Corps and 208 is the max weight for my height. I lost a lot of muscle mass this past summer at OCS and I think the redevelopment of the muscle could be causing the weight gain. If that's the case then I probably should attempt to lose as much fat as possible, so I can maximize muscle development while remaining at a good weight.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What's your % bodyfat? I'm overweight by Marine Corps standards but I'm fine on bodyfat percentage so I don't get hassled about it. Running a 285 PFT and 300 CFT also helps shut people up.

Get yourself checked out by a hydrostatic test or by the wildly inaccurate waist/neck measurement formula the Marine Corps uses. Your OSO should be able to take care of you on that.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
BMH

Profile:  

I am going to have to say I don't buy that you only have time to eat once a day. not trying to troll it up, but even if it was a handfull of nuts and an apple, you should be able to squeeze something in somewhere.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
Brent Ramos

Profile:

Eric, I would prefer not to have to rely on bf percentage to be within standards, primarily because I used to be really fat in high school so as a result I have excess skin around my waist, which would effect the accuracy of the tape test right? I just would feel much better within the weight cap. Offhand, I don't know my bf percentage. I run a 255 PFT and 29X CFT score, so it's not like I'm a fatbody, I just am always very close to my max weight, I don't no why, people are always surpised I weigh this much.

Bill,I probably could work in a small meal before class in the morning, but between 18 units last semester and 23 this semester, all while PT'ing four to five times a week, with a part time job on the weekends, I literally do not have time to eat a meal between the hours of 12-6

Last edited by Brent Ramos; 01-24-2011 at 12:30 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You should still get your BF tested just to see roughly where you are. If you've got a big neck then you should be fine unless your waist is 36" or 38". Just have your OSO check you out, or if you don't live near him go into any RSS and the recruiters can take care of you.

Are you getting enough sleep? Someone mentioned cortisol earlier, that's a possibility if you're training too much and not eating/sleeping enough. What you're doing for eating amounts to intermittent fasting which is typically not recommended for people with lots of stressors in their lives.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
adam adkins

Profile:

You have a medical condition (thyroid) or
You have a stress problem or
You have a sleep problem (often related) or
You are being less than honest with yourself regarding your diet.

Those are the only options.

I would start from the bottom and work up as the things you can most easily control are on the bottom.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
Brent Ramos

Profile:

Alright, I'll look into that Eric, thanks for the advice.

I ate paleo for while about a year ago but gave it up for monetary reasons.

I'm going to begin eating paleo again due to the fact that I want to lose this weight. Plus, this will definitely rule out whether by diet is to blame or not.

I have a quick question that I hope some of you guys can answer. I frequently notice people mentioning that overtraining leads to weight gain. If that's the case, how come so many candidates at OCS this summer LOST weight? We were eating anywhere from probably 4000-6000 calories away and thought we only had formal PT ~4 days a week, we route-stepped and ran all over the place in boots/MARPAT/assault packs/rifles all day, and mostly every candidate lost weight.

As previously mentioned by Eric, all sorts of stressors were placed on us, plus we averaged 4-6 hours of sleep a night, if that's not overtraning, then what is? How did we manage to lose weight?

Thanks for your advice and comments guys, very valuable.