CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Greetings all!

As I stated in the title, I've never truly eaten healthy. I try to stay away from junk food and all, but I mostly just eat what my mom gets from the store whatever it is.

I've recently heard about zone dieting (on this site), but I can't seem to find ANYTHING that talks about what it truly is. Such as, how does it work? What are you eating more of/less of? What is the purpose of this diet? and where can I find real instructions on how to eat? Please keep in mind, I'm 17 and I have no money to go out buying high priced healthy organic food and special stuff, hell, I have no money to go buy anything my mom doesn't buy, and my mom still cooks for my family for dinner every night and I have to eat. And I don't even have money to buy any books or videos or tapes or anything to teach me about zone eating. Thanks.

Josh
Old 04-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
Well for starters, I'd say get your mom's Credit Card (with her permission) and buy the CrossFit Zone Journal. It's only $5 USD, is a good, straight to the point intro and is really all you need.

What the zone is, is a diet guideline set around the parameters of eating all of you macro-calories at a balanced level, 40/30/30, and portion control. What that means is that 40% of your total calories come from carbohydrates, 30% comes from protein and the other 30% from fat. There are 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrates, 4 calories in a gram of protein and 9 calories in a gram of fat. So if you were to eat say, 2000 calories a day, you'd be eating 800 calories of carbohydrates, 600 calories of protein and another 600 calories of fat. You simply then divide the amount of calories in each macro calorie by the total calories and you've got the total amount of macro calories, in grams, that you'd be eating each day. So for the above example you'd be getting 200 grams of carbohydrates, 150 grams of protein and 67 grams of fat or 40/30/30.

In the zone food is broken up into "Blocks" for easy reference so you don’t have to go through all of that calorie counting and math. The blocks are again broken down by the macro-calorie so you end up having a fat, protein and carbohydrate block and their break down looks like this:
9 grams of carbohydrates = 1 carbohydrate block
7 grams of protein = 1 protein block
1.5 grams of fat = 1 fat block

From here things get a bit harder to explain because this is where the Block charts that are in the journal become really useful but I’ll do my best to try to explain it. Since everyone has a different intake requirement you have to find out what yours is. There’s a whole ton of info on this board to find that out so do a bit of searching. See below for a zone calculator. From there it will basically tell you how many blocks you need each day. Say you needed 17 blocks, throughout the day you would have to divide those 17 blocks up into a plan that works for you. I myself am a 17 blocker and have them over a 5-meal span of 4, 3, 4, 3 and 3. So for my 4 block breakfast and lunch I’ll have 4 blocks of protein, 4 blocks of carbohydrates and 4 blocks of fat. For the rest of my meals I’ll have 3 blocks of protein, 3 blocks of carbohydrates and 3 blocks of fat. See below for a food block chart.

That’s pretty much the gist of it. I highly recommend you get the CrossFit Zone Journal and search this forum. There is lots of information in the archives that I’m sure I didn’t cover.

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/bodyfatcalmale.jsp
http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm
Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
... that calculator says I'm at 6% body fat, I may be thin, but I know for a fact that I've got love handles and a layer of fat over my abs so something has to be wrong. Also, the calc says I should eat 17 blocks a day. I weigh 157, I'm 5'10 1/2". Does this sound right? Thanks btw, this really did help.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
There's so many different ways to take ones BF% that they should all be taken with a grain of salt, especially one that you can do online.

I'm 17 blocker at 155lbs, 5'-10 1/2" so yeah it sounds right.