CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-05-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Kevin H

Profile:  
It would be nice if there was a book called 'The Economy Zone' because one of the nasty side effects of the zone, in my experience, is that it costs more to eat. Bread, potatoes, pasta, these are the staple of anyone's diet who need to eat when money is tight.

So this is my main impediment to sticking with the zone, the secondary impediment is getting food I'll actually eat. I'm still working on this problem, but what I've found works is to take various foods in the grocery store and divide the mass of macronutrients total in that package (grams per serving x servings per container) by the price for that package, to result in the total number of grams of macronutrient per dollar. Like with sardines, which are favorable protein, I can get for 80 g/dollar. If you want to, you could divide it by 7 to get about 11 blocks of protein/dollar. Vegetables, which you are supposed to eat a lot of, are relatively expensive. Green peppers I can get for about two for a dollar. Thats 1 block of carbohydrate/dollar.

Anyway, I'm going to get some grocery store fliers and compare prices in this way and see how well I can keep with zone while staying cheap. I'm wondering what the rest of you guys are eating on the zone and how much it is costing you. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kevin-

Do the best you can but there are ways to get a lot of mileage here. if you are eating say 4 block meals eat say 1 block of veggies, one of fruit and two from say sweet potatos, yams of if need be rice/beans. Ratios are very important, quality is a close second but not ending up homeless is perhaps the most important! Look for bulk chicken breasts, mackrel is suppppppper cheap if you can handle it. A little lemon and sesame oil make it almost....not nauseating!

Be creative and you should be able to make it work.
Robb
Old 09-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Eggs can make up a lot of your non-post-workout meals. If you a do an post-workout insulin spike, skim milk alone produces recovery approximating that produced by expensive protein powders.

Incidentally, fat, by the calorie, is very cheap. Some frown on peanuts as a source for monounsaturated fat (they are technically not a nut, and are quite acidic), but you can't beat them for price; calorie for calorie, peanuts by the bag are cheaper than pasta.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Kevin, I have noticed that in my area, produce prices vary more than anything from store to store so I bet shopping around will help. If you have a farmer's market, by all means check that out too, there is one two minutes from my house every Tues and it is great. Frozen vegetables are not too bad, Sears explains that the nutritional value of quality frozen vegetables is really high. Also see if there are some vegetables you have never tried, some might be bargains, like I found kale is pretty cheap around here and I like it.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
Kevin H

Profile:  
Rob:

You're right, thats something I should try. One thing I noticed was that in the Glycemic index table in the back of Enter the Zone, rye bread seems to have a low glycemic index. However, other tables I've seen have rye bread pretty high. But any bread is super cheap for an unfavorable carbohydrate. But I suppose what makes rye bread unfavorable carbohydrate is its lack of vitamins and minerals? It would be great if we could say that rye bread + vitamin supplement = favorable. Comments?

Ross:

Milk is my favorite cheat food. Lots of times I just use 1% or 2% milk as a snack or to boost my meal by a couple of blocks. Eggs are great, but its a pain to de-yolk them, and egg beaters is pricey. A caution on peanut butter: I've had some peanut butter with trans-fats in it.

Brian:

I'll check on frozen vegetables. I've never heard of kale, can you describe it? One mistake I made was I noticed that only 1/4 cup of black beans are a block and I found beans are super cheap. So I boiled some, ate a block, and never touched the pot of beans again :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 05:51 AM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
The problem with most rye breads is they are made from standard wheat flour with rye flavoring added. If you can find whole-grain rye (or whole-grain pumpernickel), that is what the Zone says is good.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Kevin, if you're eating peanut butter, make sure it's natural. PBs like Jif, Skippy, etc are full of sugar and hydrogenated oils (the trans fats). I get a brand up here called Krema. The ingredient list is: "Roasted peanuts". Most that I've seen are "roasted peanuts, salt". Just find you some natural PB if you want some.....not super cheap though.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
Kevin H

Profile:  
Thanks a lot for the tips guys.