CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Jamila Bey

Profile:
So, the next CrossFit Live will dedicate part of the show to kids' issues.

What would you like to know? Anyone here have any stories about introducing one's own child(ren) to the Kool-Aid?

Lemme know!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have two boys who are 4. My wife and I are now crossfitting. They are really jazzed about it and I cannot start without first giving them a WOD. They row 100M, then 5 pushups, 5 squats, 5 situps, then they have to do 5 pullups. When I say "they have to", this is not me telling them, it's them telling me.

Now this is not really a serious workout, we are just playing. I wish when I was 4 my parents were WODDING. (Is that a word yet?).

My goal for them (ages .5-7) is to set a good example and keep it fun (for them). Sometime in their teen years I hope they will be bringing friends over, to WOD. Yes, I said *hope*.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Chris Jordan

Profile:
Jamila,
I don't have any trouble getting my kids (1, 3 and 5) excited about exercising. They have no concept of CrossFit. They just see daddy doing stuff and they try to play along. For example, they like to grab dowels and practice overhead squat with me.

To this point I have worked with the oldest two on basic gymnastics, planking toward doing push-ups, tire flips, relay races, assisted pull-ups, biking and swinging from the rope in the back yard. The oldest also takes Tang Soo Do. Brand X has been a real source of inspiration for activities. My concern has been trying to find fun things to do without overworking them. The reality is they lose interest long before they wear out.

So my needs are two:
-I need a large variety of fun, functional exercises for my kids easily completed in our back yard or nearby park.
-I need help planning workouts that achieve an appropriate level of intensity within their short attention span.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
Pablo Mercado

Profile:

Jamila,
Today was the first day that I put some sort of structure into a workout for my daughter. Prior to this my kids (7,6,2) would just sort of mimic some of the moves I was doing. I was a little hesitant to make it to much like 'work' and have them loose interest. Today in reading this thread I talked w/ my daughter and it turns out she enjoys the structured workout more. She really liked the idea of having her own workout journal and being able to see her accomplishments on paper. Today I posted her workout in the WOD section and she really got a kick out of seeing the exercises written down. She said that it would be 'awsome' to have a kids section.

p.s. my kids could not stop pointing & laughing at your ID picture of picacho (sp?)
Old 02-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Clay Jones

Profile:

Jamila, my number one question is how to teach proper form to kids that have not developed the gross motor skills yet. I have been working with my 3rd grade class (8-9yo), teaching them the basics of the squat and pushup, and I have a small group (boys, no suprise there) that can't maintialn form. Do I give up on them and just let them play the games, or is there somehting I am missing?

I have no trouble coming up with excercises or games, and the kids have fun otherwise.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Pablo,
We have had been posting a daily Kids CrossFit WOD for over a year now. Here is the link. http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=19 Love to have your kids try them out.

Clay,
Very good question. Our experience is that kids have a lot of trouble maintaining any long term focus work on form. That having been said it is absolutly nec. to work on it. In the free download of CF Kids magazine we have a push up progression that we bring our kids through; our second magazine discussed some drills for working squats. We have tried a lot of progressions, some work, others don't, hopefully the magazine will take some of the trial and error out of it for other CrossFitters wanting to work with kids. We try to work form work into games so the kids don't realize they are working on it. So if a youngster is at the box push up stage in the push up progression, we may play dodge ball and say once you have been hit you have to do 5 perfect box push ups to get back in the game. Short bursts of working on the tech. with proper motivation (back in the game when you have completed the task with great form) seems to do the trick for our kids. CrossFit baseball is another great way to work on form, and the kids love it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Pablo Mercado

Profile:

Outstanding,
Thanks Jeff. I just might try and get my kids to meet Lil Cindy today.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Jamila Bey

Profile:
**pouting**

Dammit Jeff! PLEASE save something for the show on the 26th of February at 7PM Pacific time... We want to make sure (hint to all!!!) people listen to www.crossfitlive.com and call in to talk to you about the very issues in this thread. (Hint to all)

And that's where you'll tell all the CrossFit community in depth about what's up with CrossFit Kids newsletter and such. And maybe one of the little Martins' will join too? But you'd never divulge that on the boards I know.

Can't wait to hear you on the show, Jeff!

Jamila

The CrossFit Live Producer who's working hard to make the show interesting and informative and highly anticipated.

Sorry for the obnoxious message- I just had a double Espresso to get thru Cindy, and I'm wired!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jamila, Don't tell Clay but I gave him all the wrong info. By show time his kids will be so messed up he'll have to call in.
:lol:
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Hi guys, I have three kids myself and have been doing the WOD's at home/gym and at times my two youngest (4,10) join me with some of the squats, push-ups and sit-ups. I went and bought sticks for doing the broomstick mile and my son (4) and me do it slowly and work on sitting and standing with the stick on his back.

He loves it, he shows everyone his broomstick with his name on it and what he does with it. Very proud of his own achievements.

Priceless.

Lead by example and they will follow.