CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Daniel Becker

Profile:
Starting Crossfit program trying to lose weight and get back into the best shape!

This summer I lost 15 pounds but when I got back to college I began to binge eat because I had some personal issues to deal with. I have not been to the gym in two weeks and I feel like garbage because I usually go to the gym everyday. I ate and gained back around 20 lbs in the course of one month from all the stress.

i want to get back into the best physical and mental shape of my life again, I just donít know where to start.

My instructor at camp taught us Tabata workouts. Should I just do that everyday for 30 minutes and go on the paleo diet? Will that get me into better shape?

Should I abandon all my long-distance running and nordic track and weight training since crossfit does not like weights?

On the paleo diet how many calories should I still eat a day in order to lose weight and get into the most optimal condition?

When I go to the gym I have a tendancy to get overwhelmed and I end up doing everything. I do Tabatas and then strength train. What should I do to get into a routine, thanks!

Also, my main goal is to lose weight and lose the extra skin. I have some extra skin around my pubic area which is really embarrassing for a male in college if you know what I mean because "it appears smaller" because the extra skin/flap covers part of it. What will be the best program to get rid of this? I use to weigh 222 and now I weigh 170 and I am 5 foot 7 so I did lose a lot of weight already!

Thanks for the help guys! J
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Starting Crossfit program trying to lose weight and get back into the best shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Becker View Post
This summer I lost 15 pounds but when I got back to college I began to binge eat because I had some personal issues to deal with. I have not been to the gym in two weeks and I feel like garbage because I usually go to the gym everyday. I ate and gained back around 20 lbs in the course of one month from all the stress.

i want to get back into the best physical and mental shape of my life again, I just donít know where to start.

My instructor at camp taught us Tabata workouts. Should I just do that everyday for 30 minutes and go on the paleo diet? Will that get me into better shape?

Should I abandon all my long-distance running and nordic track and weight training since crossfit does not like weights?

On the paleo diet how many calories should I still eat a day in order to lose weight and get into the most optimal condition?

When I go to the gym I have a tendancy to get overwhelmed and I end up doing everything. I do Tabatas and then strength train. What should I do to get into a routine, thanks!

Also, my main goal is to lose weight and lose the extra skin. I have some extra skin around my pubic area which is really embarrassing for a male in college if you know what I mean because "it appears smaller" because the extra skin/flap covers part of it. What will be the best program to get rid of this? I use to weigh 222 and now I weigh 170 and I am 5 foot 7 so I did lose a lot of weight already!

CrossFit loves weights dude...

Read a lot more about CrossFit then see if you have the same questions. Read the FAQ's for sure. Click the start here button.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Ashley Wright

Profile:
Re: Starting Crossfit program trying to lose weight and get back into the best shape!

/agree Crossfit loves weights ... As for where to start, personally I got my diet in check before I dove head first into CF I'm about 95% Paleo and love it. Look around at the nutrition forum and the workout areas... very helpful info on this site.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Michael Whities

Profile:

Dewd,

Start here:, them here then go here.

It will help you get started and understand CF a LOT more.

Michael

ALL links are WFS.

EDIT: Forgot this too...
Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Jarid Barthold-Robinson

Profile:

Dan,
I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I would easily get overwhelmed in the gym and have no clue what to eat. In addition to what was said above, I just did main page WOD, but usually had to scale them. www.crossfitbrandx.com does a good job of scaling the WOD's which can be found it their forum section. As for diet, I had to worry about what not to eat. Sugars, grains blah blah... You won't want to binge after you start having success completing the WOD's. Basically you're worrying too much. Don't worry about getting in shape. Worry about doing your best on the WOD's and eventually you'll look in the mirror and wonder how it happened. Best of luck.
Jarid
Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
George Nesrallah

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Becker View Post

As was suggested earlier, keep reading up on CF. Keep it simple: do the WOD and scale as needed. As you will soon find CF loves weights (deadlifts, squats, cleans, etc...). And the whole Tabatas for 30 minutes daily? Um, no, bad idea. There is a reason why they are brief. They are an amazing tool for sure, but make sure to use it properly.

Good luck with everything.