CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #61
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Sports Illustrated's 50 Fittest Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I don't think its silly at all, its a fact.
By saying any of the things you're saying you're not putting down someone else, you're purely stating X is stronger/faster/whatever than Y.

No one is arguing that basketball players need strength, what people are arguing or at least myself is giving Lebron a 10/10 on strength, when he's nowhere near as strong as guys his weight or less in any/many sport(s), which is what the list was doing.

How is stating a fact silly; Froning is not as strong as Klokov, its a quantifiable fact, look at their squat, front squat, strict press, hell look at a lift neither really trains like Bench. Just because they aren't in the same sport doesn't make it any less true.

We're talking about a list that compared athletes from many different sports and tried to quantify their skills/attributes therefore its even more relevant.

We all fully admit upfront that different sports require a different definition of in shape; an international powerlifter/WL'er, an elite soccer player, a decathlete, a WSM strongman, will all be 'in shape' for their sport and at the top of their game but it would be stupid to think the PL'er/WL'er or the Strongman are running miles and miles and have the cardio of either the decathlete or the soccer player.
I phrased it poorly. I meant that it's silly to criticize LeBron's strength or JJ Watt's cardiovascular endurance or say that's a sign they're "unfit" when their results clearly show that they're fit based on the demands of their respective sports.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #62
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
The reason Froning would rank higher than most is because he might only get an 8 when it comes to strength, but he would get an 8 with endurance, and 8 with speed. Therefore he would test out higher than other 'top' guys.

Nadal might get a 8 on endurance, and 8 on speed, but his strength would probably test out at 4, and therefore he would be a lot lower on the list.

If you want to measure true strength compare squat, deadlift, press. Big 3.
If you want to measure endurance, measure VO2max. Most sports do this already.
If you want to measure speed, test 3 cone drill, 40 yard dash, etc, etc.

The results would surprise a lot of people. Basketball players would have a great V02max, but crappy strength tests simply because their training does not require them to be able to lift 600lbs. Which is fine, but don't try to paint them as being stronger or equal to strength as guys who train for strength, i.e. football players who generally train JUST strength(d line, o line, etc, etc).
That us what I was getting at. The "fittest" wouldn't be the best at any discipline, but would be better than all others when measured across all the domains.

This is why the current fittest person is probably not a single sport athlete. They spend their time getting better in their sport, as they should. Adrian Peterson would be a fool to emphasize endurance training. That doesn't pay the bills.

I think pro athletes have to most potential to be the "fittest", but unless they diversify their training while they are in their prime we will never know.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #63
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Endurance is a tricky beast. Adrian Peterson probably has a very high V02max, as does Steven Stamkos, but neither would do very well in a soccer game.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #64
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I phrased it poorly. I meant that it's silly to criticize LeBron's strength or JJ Watt's cardiovascular endurance or say that's a sign they're "unfit" when their results clearly show that they're fit based on the demands of their respective sports.
I don't think anyone is criticizing LeBron's strength. They are criticizing that his strength is scored as 10 out of 10, meaning he is as strong or stronger than everyone else on the list. Stronger than all the NFL RBs on the list, stronger than Rob Grownkowski, not to mention his speed is higher than every RB and WR on the list. I would love to see him move more weight than Gronk or beat AP in a race. The "silly" thing is ranking him as such.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #65
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Fair enough. He may be 10/10 in terms of strength requirements for an NBA athlete but he's obviously not going to be as strong as an NFL RB or LB.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #66
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Well to be bluntly honest, he's not even as strong as I am and I don't play a professional sport.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #67
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Well to be bluntly honest, he's not even as strong as I am and I don't play a professional sport.

What's your point?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #68
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
What's your point?
Lebron shouldn't even be part of the fittest athlete list is my point. Doesn't take much to be 'stronger' than he is.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #69
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Lebron shouldn't even be part of the fittest athlete list is my point. Doesn't take much to be 'stronger' than he is.
Why don't you go down on the block and see how much stronger you are than him when he backs you down with absolute ease. Not to mention the fact that we really have no clue what his max lifts are but there are more factors than just what you squat that determines how strong someone is.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #70
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Why don't you go down on the block and see how much stronger you are than him when he backs you down with absolute ease. Not to mention the fact that we really have no clue what his max lifts are but there are more factors than just what you squat that determines how strong someone is.
How is his proficiency at basketball and denying him access to the key, proving he's stronger than someone else...a pro basketball player vs a non-pro basketball player...FAIL

There might be more factors in the sense of relative strength and what not, but i'm pretty sure we're all in accord that the big 4 lifts are a MORE than appropriate test of strength, and actually are probably the best/most accurate ones.