CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Eric Cohen

Profile:
Cold and numb fingers

I think I've acquired poor circulation in my fingers and it's only really gotten concerning recently. I just got a set of under armour, so I could train in the frigid cold of northern New York. It's amazing stuff, but the only problem I've got is my fingers get very numb (the tips will turn black/purpleish), even with gloves on.

I think I know the cause of the problem, an incoherent decision a few years back which lead to alcohol poisoning; it didn't show up until shortly after then. For financial reasons, I can't see a doctor right now. I'm in best hopes that there's some way to alleviate the situation, making my outdoors winter training a little more comfortable. Gonna try out applying more layers to my hands, but I don't see it as a solution.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: Cold and numb fingers

I am in no way an expert. I have never heard of poor circulation being an effect of alcohol poisoning.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Have you ever actually gotten frostbite? I have years ago. Also, I have a condition called Rhaynauds(sp?) and have to wear gloves any time I'm in a cold(indoors included)environment. Outside, I wear liners under my gloves. The doctors will respond to your post with more information. Regarding the alcohol poisoning, alcohol lowers your body temperature. Were you drinking to excess outdoors in the winter? When you are feeling warm, and your hands warm up, do they ever turn red?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Could this work? wfs
http://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-Hot-Ha.../dp/B0007ZF4OA

I don't think it's related to alcohol poisoning.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Eric Cohen

Profile:

Lenora, yes they do become bright red quite often after warming up, especially only around the tips of the digits usually. I did some research into Raynauds, and my symptoms have been pretty much dead on. Frequently the tips change colors from dark purpleish to red and back to normal. People often tell me my hands are freezing when they touch them, I feel it, but sometimes they're normal in temperature. What kind of liners do you use?

Maybe my condition isn't related to the alcohol poisoning, I only made the assumption since I realized it started happening shortly afterwards and continued since then. It didn't happen during the alcohol poisoning.

Aaron, I'm gonna see if I can find those warmers locally and try out a pair. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

My glove liners are ordinary liners from a sporting goods store. They are usually worn under ski gloves and that type of thing. I've had mine for a long time. they make new ones out of a thinner material(microfibre?)Check out most sporting good stores, including on-line, for glove liners. It may not relate to alcohol poisoning per se, but, caffeine exacerbates the symptoms. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Eric - like Lenora I have raynaud's as well. I always carry hand warmers and toe warmers. I keep in few in my glove compartment. Do you have an REI close to you? or most sporting goods stores (that also sell cold weather sport gear) sell the warmers. My symptoms have gotten worse over the past two years...so be careful. I ice climb every winter (and wear hand, foot and body warmers) and not certain if that has made it worse. I've also heard, but have not tried that cayenne pepper (topically) helps.

~Kim
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Eric Cohen

Profile:

Alright, found some thick wool gloves around the house, wore them over my other gloves for my workout today. Did the trick outside, albeit a little warmer than yesterday.

Kim, that's pretty damn impressive that you ice climb with Raynauds's. I was wimping out yesterday just cause I was a little cold.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Nick Amato

Profile:

My mom suffers from Raynaud's on her fingers as well...some days to the point where they become white or purple and extremely dry. The effects look very painful. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of treatment other than trying to keep warm and stress-free (she's a big fan of the disposable hand warmers that have been mentioned).

I came across this product on the Raynaud's Association site (the forums there have a decent amount of tips and info) and may order some for her. Basically a lotion that claims to heal dry skin and increase blood flow.

http://www.raynauds.org/offers/ProNeema.cfm (w/f safe)

Stay warm everyone!

Last edited by Nick Amato; 01-04-2008 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Added info