CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Vinnie Carden

Profile:
Hand numb from squats?

I started doing a Starting Strength based program roughly 2 weeks ago, doing as much practice and research into proper form as possible. I am relatively sure I have the basics down. I am currently at 125 lbs for my back squat(moving up 10 lbs every other workout. Also, am a 6'1, 170 lbs, 24 y/o male). The last 3 workouts I have noticed something strange while squatting. Around the 4th or 5th set of back squats, my left hand will "fall asleep" or get severe pins and needles. I am not using a pad for the bar, but I am pretty sure I have it in the correct position, and the time for each set is short, far less than a minute. Is there a vein/artery going into the arm through the upper back/rear shoulder area that I could be pinching off? Should I be concerned about this? Takes a few minutes for the pins and needles to go away. Thanks.
Vinnie
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Joseph DeFord

Profile:
Re: Hand numb from squats?

I use to have the same problem. I just started using a pad for the back of my neck/shoulders. When I don't have a pad I fold up a towel and place that around the bar. I'm pretty sure it's just a nerve that your laying the bar on. You'll notice that the more weight you use the more pain/numbness. That was my experience anyway.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Re: Hand numb from squats?

Look up Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, stretch your pectorals, anterior delts and upper traps. Strengthen your upper back, rear delts and scapular stabilizers. good luck.