CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Jason Panicaro

Profile:
Intermittent fasting and Crossfit Questions

Hey guys I know there are a ton fo threads on this but I am still confused on setting this up for myself. Let me give everyone a little background on myself, I started CF out of my garage about a year and a half ago. I lost 35 pds doing CF and eating right. I stopped working out due to family issues, moving etc. I joined a box about a month ago and love every minute of CF at a box. I havent dropped much weight since starting but I am leaning out a little. Im not concerned about my weight as I am what the mirror shows me and the way clothes fit. My hardest thing is getting my diet in check. Thats where this thread really starts. I would like to try IF I believe it works and I have seen it work. However after reading all the information on leangains I think I am more confused.

Heres a typical day for me:
6 am-wake up and eat breakfast around 6:45 (eggs and bacon typically)
12ish-lunch (usually leftovers from dinner i.e. steak, chicken, ground beef)
6-7- Crossfit WOD
7-8- Crossfit Strength training (twice a week)
7:30-8:30-Dinner

I dont snack during the day, drink mainly water, have an occasional gatorade.

The way I understand IF is my biggest meal should be post workout. Which right now it is. Would IF work if I just cut breakfast out of my current routine? Also do I need a proetin shake or something in the morning? Sorry this is so long. Thanks everyone
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Intermittent fasting and Crossfit Questions

This is just me being a jerk about semantics.. but technically for it to be "intermittent" it can't be on a schedule the same time or duration every day. That said, what I know of leangains, its not really an IF, it's just a restricted feeding window, so based on that, yes limiting yourself to meals between 12-8pm puts you in an 8 hour feeding window which is the LG reccommendation (16 hour fast, 8 hr feeding window = LG).
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Yes, in addition to what Rebecca said, have your largest meal post workout and cycle carbs (higher on strength days, lower on rest days).
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
This is just me being a jerk about semantics.. but technically for it to be "intermittent" it can't be on a schedule the same time or duration every day. That said, what I know of leangains, its not really an IF, it's just a restricted feeding window, so based on that, yes limiting yourself to meals between 12-8pm puts you in an 8 hour feeding window which is the LG reccommendation (16 hour fast, 8 hr feeding window = LG).
Great post. Answered many of my questions except for this one. By LG you mean lean gains correct?

Also to OP, I'll recommend a protein shake if your intake for the day is low or you would like it to be a little higher. And IMHO I would lose the gatorade. Unecessary calories and sugar unless you are perhaps using it to get an insulin spike after your workout.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

If he's working out for 2 hours straight, sipping on some gatorade during the workout can be helpful to keep up intensity. Preworkout snack might help too. I am not sure whether Gatorade during workout would be LeanGains though, I just don't remember.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Thanks guys, Rebecca I understand the intermittent part isnt supposed to be based on a schedule. But my entire life is based on a schedule lol. Has anyone had good results from the 16/8 schedule?

As far as gatorade goes, Im talking one or two little bottles a week. Just to change it up from water a little

Last edited by Jason Panicaro : 05-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fisk View Post
Great post. Answered many of my questions except for this one. By LG you mean lean gains correct?
Yep, that's what I mean LG = Lean Gains. There are a number of popular intermittent fasting protocols, the most popular ones I know of are LG (16/8) and the Warrior Diet (20/4).

ETA - also, I don't personally think Gatorade is a big deal if it isn't something you drink constantly, but coconut water is what I would go with, it's nature's gatorade

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 05-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Hey guys I know there are a ton fo threads on this but I am still confused on setting this up for myself. Let me give everyone a little background on myself, I started CF out of my garage about a year and a half ago. I lost 35 pds doing CF and eating right. I stopped working out due to family issues, moving etc. I joined a box about a month ago and love every minute of CF at a box. I havent dropped much weight since starting but I am leaning out a little. Im not concerned about my weight as I am what the mirror shows me and the way clothes fit. My hardest thing is getting my diet in check. Thats where this thread really starts. I would like to try IF I believe it works and I have seen it work. However after reading all the information on leangains I think I am more confused.

Heres a typical day for me:
6 am-wake up and eat breakfast around 6:45 (eggs and bacon typically)
12ish-lunch (usually leftovers from dinner i.e. steak, chicken, ground beef)
6-7- Crossfit WOD
7-8- Crossfit Strength training (twice a week)
7:30-8:30-Dinner

I dont snack during the day, drink mainly water, have an occasional gatorade.

The way I understand IF is my biggest meal should be post workout. Which right now it is. Would IF work if I just cut breakfast out of my current routine? Also do I need a proetin shake or something in the morning? Sorry this is so long. Thanks everyone
Unless you are working with someone, it is probably best to have a pretty good understanding of the mental and physical aspects of nutrition before beginning something like IF. You should re-read EVERY ARTICLE on lean gains, read the book John Berardi published on fasting, read the book eat stop eat, practice tracking your food macros for a bit, then try a 24hour fast.

That said, here is my current protocol:

Wake up at 5:30 slam 10g 2:1:1 BCAA with glutamine and some extra water. Run to gym as warmup. Strength. crossfit class. Return home via bus/ride from someone.

Sip another 20g of 2:1:1 BCAA with 5 g BCAA until I eat between 11 and 2. I just stop working when I get hungry and make food. This meal is 1500-2000 calories. On days where I squat or deadlift, it is higher carb and closer to 2000.

Eat another meal between 6:30 and 8:00. Normally lower carb unless I want some yams or something (on a higher carb day). This meal is between 750-1200 calories.

I always eat at least 260g of protein. 3 days a week are high carb. On two of these days I eat around 200g of carbs, mostly from fruit or coconut flour or some such. One of these three carb days I eat whatever I want. The rest of my diet is healthy fat. On non carb days I only eat meat, fat, and vegetables. No fruit outside of avocado. Carb intake is normally sub 60g. Most of my meals are real whole food. Sometimes I will make something with whey, but any diary gives me almost instant adult acne, so I have to balance my laziness with my vanity. My once a week meal is normally something high sugar. I avoid gluten because I feel sick when I eat it, once a month or so I will indulge in cookies and milk or some such.

I have an active recovery on Wednesdays. Sunday, the day after my once a week meal, is my only full rest day.

When I went higher carbs, as is recommended on lean gains, I felt sick.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
I'm just curious...if you're getting the results you want (i.e. looking better in the mirror), why do you think your diet is out of whack?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

I am very happy with the results, I just know I dont eat as good as I should or at the right times. Therefore if I am getting pretty good results like that, if I go into this 110% imagine the results I will get