CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Joseph Baker

Profile:
Shoulder Pain from Pressing

About three weeks ago I suffered an injury to my right shoulder. I was pressing the last set of 3x5 and I felt a sharp pain during the fourth rep.

I stopped, iced the shoulder, took Advil right away, let it rest, and have trained around it since. I have tried to stay positive about the whole thing. Rob Shaul over at Mountain Athlete has said injuries are opportunities to focus on weaknesses elsewhere so I have hammered my core and one arm work, but am getting tired of being less than 100%.

Today I tested the waters lightly by doing a barbell complex ( 6x dl, row, hang power clean, front squat, press, and overhead squat) with no weight added to the bar. The presses brought back the pain.

I have done some research on the problem and have come to the conclusion it is rotator cuff related, but I am far from an expert so I could be off. Has anyone else experiences this problem and if so, how did you rehad/ recover?

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Todd Crawford

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Pain from Pressing

Need to see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis first... then the correct rehab can be discussed.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. Acute or chronic?

4. Any previous injury history?

5. How's your posture?

6. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart?

7. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

8. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions -- not enough info

For now if it's soft tissue you can: REST, take anti-inflammatory like fish oil (3-5g EPA+DHA), self massage 3-5x per day of 10-15 minutes each trying to loosen up tender/tight/painful spots, possibly some light stretching and keeping it moving/loose. Compression and possibly ice if there's swelling.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. Acute or chronic?

4. Any previous injury history?

5. How's your posture?

6. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart?

7. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

8. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions -- not enough info

For now if it's soft tissue you can: REST, take anti-inflammatory like fish oil (3-5g EPA+DHA), self massage 3-5x per day of 10-15 minutes each trying to loosen up tender/tight/painful spots, possibly some light stretching and keeping it moving/loose. Compression and possibly ice if there's swelling.
Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar problem and would like some advice as well. For several months, I have had a minor ache in the left (nondominant) shoulder. The only location I can describe it as is inside the joint, which also feels much looser than normal. I can't pinpoint any trauma that caused this, only that I think it developed over time. It gives a more severe ache during the bench press and during deep dips, but never really gives a sharp pain. I have full mobility and strength, again with minor pain during pressing movements.

1. http://www.missionbeachvolleyball.co...s/Shoulder.jpg (wfs) The only external pain occurs when I press on the spot labelled Acromion. The rest of the pain is an internal ache.

2. Extension triggers the ache at the bottom of the range. I think this is a similar position as the bottom of a deep dip? Transverse flexion hurts at the bottom also. In addition, it feels achy when simply standing still and letting it hang, and when doing shrugs in forward to backwards manner as opposed to up and down.

3. Most certainly chronic. It has been going on for so long I avoid sleeping on this shoulder now, hoping that will help it recover.

4. I've never injured a shoulder, but IMO I've always been overly susceptible to minor joint injuries.

5. Posture is probably above average, but by no means perfect. I stand tall when I walk, but sometimes when sitting I will lounge or let my back round too much.

6. When the injury developed, I was doing a barbell program similar to the Bill Starr Madcow Intermediate Program. I had no problem with any movements besides presses, and most notably the bench press. Currently I'm doing local box WODs. Some days the movements feel quite theraputic, but others not so much. I can't really remember any specifics, but I know for sure I haven't been able to do a ring dip without major discomfort in awhile.

7. I think the left trap is pretty tight from me holding the shoulder up all the time now to avoid it hanging loose. Other than that I can't tell anything.

8. The ache is more apparent just sitting around than it is during a WOD.

I have considered seeing a doctor, but the aches tend to cycle between better and worse over a few days which tricks me into thinking its healing.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Paschedag View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar problem and would like some advice as well. For several months, I have had a minor ache in the left (nondominant) shoulder. The only location I can describe it as is inside the joint, which also feels much looser than normal. I can't pinpoint any trauma that caused this, only that I think it developed over time. It gives a more severe ache during the bench press and during deep dips, but never really gives a sharp pain. I have full mobility and strength, again with minor pain during pressing movements.

1. http://www.missionbeachvolleyball.co...s/Shoulder.jpg (wfs) The only external pain occurs when I press on the spot labelled Acromion. The rest of the pain is an internal ache.

2. Extension triggers the ache at the bottom of the range. I think this is a similar position as the bottom of a deep dip? Transverse flexion hurts at the bottom also. In addition, it feels achy when simply standing still and letting it hang, and when doing shrugs in forward to backwards manner as opposed to up and down.

3. Most certainly chronic. It has been going on for so long I avoid sleeping on this shoulder now, hoping that will help it recover.

4. I've never injured a shoulder, but IMO I've always been overly susceptible to minor joint injuries.

5. Posture is probably above average, but by no means perfect. I stand tall when I walk, but sometimes when sitting I will lounge or let my back round too much.

6. When the injury developed, I was doing a barbell program similar to the Bill Starr Madcow Intermediate Program. I had no problem with any movements besides presses, and most notably the bench press. Currently I'm doing local box WODs. Some days the movements feel quite theraputic, but others not so much. I can't really remember any specifics, but I know for sure I haven't been able to do a ring dip without major discomfort in awhile.

7. I think the left trap is pretty tight from me holding the shoulder up all the time now to avoid it hanging loose. Other than that I can't tell anything.

8. The ache is more apparent just sitting around than it is during a WOD.

I have considered seeing a doctor, but the aches tend to cycle between better and worse over a few days which tricks me into thinking its healing.
Sounds like you have some either impingement or AC joint issues.

I would go to a doc to get it diagnosed so we know what it is and then what your options are. If you're good about rehab work on your own then you probably won't have to go to physical therapy and we can help you do it youself...

BUTTTT you should not do anything that makes it ache or aggravates it at all. Stay away from the bench or deep dips and whatever else hurts for now.

It's chronic which means it's not likely to heal on its own... you're going to have to do soft tissue work and other stuff to fix the problem.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

Thanks Steven. From what I read about those two conditions, they sound like an accurate description of what I'm experiencing. I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow, I'll update after.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

The GP diagnosed me with an AC sprain, and we made an appointment with the university athletic rehab staff tomorrow (not DI athletic staff mind you, but Health Services athletic staff...). Is there anything you can recommend for me, or anything I should be mindful of (with regards to informing them about barbell lifting or CF) going into this?

Last edited by Josh Paschedag : 03-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Here's something I wrote up a bit... it's going to be recovery in general you need to focus on though.

Basically, you can follow tendonitis protocol minus the exercise and stretching for now: wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

The AC joint connects scapular to the rest of the body through the clavicle. The joint is supposed to be "immobile." Once it gets moving via sprain or tearing of the ligaments, it's very easy to get arthritis in the joint since the cartilage wears down pretty quickly.

Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps.

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Jae Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Here's something I wrote up a bit... it's going to be recovery in general you need to focus on though.

Basically, you can follow tendonitis protocol minus the exercise and stretching for now: wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

The AC joint connects scapular to the rest of the body through the clavicle. The joint is supposed to be "immobile." Once it gets moving via sprain or tearing of the ligaments, it's very easy to get arthritis in the joint since the cartilage wears down pretty quickly.

Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps.

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.
I've been in a very similar boat with the AC sprain and followed the advice given. It's been working up until I did a Cindy today and immediately after tried to do a muscle up. I think my shoulder "popped" and now my pain is in the rotator cuff. Not a sharp pain but it feels like something's not right. Like it moved out of place and then came back but not quite to where it should be.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Lee View Post
I've been in a very similar boat with the AC sprain and followed the advice given. It's been working up until I did a Cindy today and immediately after tried to do a muscle up. I think my shoulder "popped" and now my pain is in the rotator cuff. Not a sharp pain but it feels like something's not right. Like it moved out of place and then came back but not quite to where it should be.
Well, that's not good...

May be a good idea to have it looked at.

It's possible you may have popped some of the other AC joint ligaments if it was only a grade 1 tear initially...