CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

Affiliates in CT

I want to get back into CF via joining an affiliate gym this time as my regular membership is set to expire soon.

I was wondering if anyone could help me differentiate between the affiliates in and around central CT. I live in bristol and work in farmington so location is important as far as that goes. Other than than my main concerns are:

What type of programming do they favor? I've looked at a number of affiliate pages and some seem to favor more strenght work/heavy met-con while others favor more endurance stuff in relation to the main page WOD, while other are very similar to the main page.

Do any of them have showers? Given my work schedule certain times of the year I will have to do morning WOD's (which I favor anyway), but there is no way I can be at work on time unless I can shower and changes @ affiliate and go straight to work given the schedules offerred. Shower availability is an absolute must for me.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Mat Frankel

Profile:
Re: Affiliates in CT

I think you should go in and meet the people there and ask them these questions. Get the answers from the sources.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

i agree with mat. Gyms, especially CF gyms are a personal fit. I did just get back from CF USA in berlin, CT this weekend, though. Merle and those guys are great. there're showers, and i'm not sure of merle's programming besides "evil"
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Hi Michael,

We're all kind of different from each other here in CT, although we're all CrossFit, if that makes sense . . .

Anyhow, if location is the most important thing, then you've got several choices in and around the central area.

If you don't mind driving to the Waterbury area, then you've got us (CF Watertown) which is actually in Watertown-Oakville, right on the Waterbury border and not far from I-84. We have a shower, but honestly we're farther away from you than the others. (But we do have several members who drive distances to come to us, as well as members who have actually moved/are moving in order to be closer to us.) But there are affiliates with a much shorter drivetime for you and I understand how important that can be.

So, I'd advise to call up the ones you're looking at and talk to the folks there -- I know all the owners and they're wonderful people. It's just a matter of finding the right match for you. Good luck, Mike! And if you have any more questions, feel free to call us at CF Watertown or shoot us an e-mail -- we're always happy to help, even if it's with information on how you can join another affiliate! (Sounds crazy, but it's true. We're a bit nuts.)

Lisbeth
Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

HI Michael:
I workout at the Cheshire affiliate, now known as "The powerbarn", but it will become "Crossfit Cheshire" very soon as there will be new owners (some people from the Berlin one). We have a great group of people --a little smaller than some others , I think, but it is a lot of fun.
Go to the affiliates page and check out all of the affiliates in CT.. I don't think there is one in Farmington, but I used to live in Farmington and commute to Meriden, so I know the commute very well!!
Good luck!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Hey Michael,

A little about our affiliate.

We are located inside of Richardson Kickboxing http://rkmma.com/
in Rocky Hill. We are very close to route 9 and just a few minutes from route 91.
Membership at our affiliate includes full use of RKMMA including kickboxing, boxing, MMA, a climbing wall and more.

Our programming is a hybrid of CF main site WOD's and our own WOD's. We have a pretty balanced mix of strength, metcon and bodyweight WOD's. We average two trainers per class and our class size is anywhere from 4/5 to 8/10 athletes depending on time of day.

I have to continue the sentiments above regarding choosing an affiliate. You are surrounded by great affiliates staffed by top notch trainers and really fun members. I suggest contacting all the affiliates within a reasonable distance and scheduling a time to check all of us out in person.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you directly. You can reach me via phone or email any time.

Respectfully,
Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Merle Mckenzie

Profile:

Hi Michael,

I am the owner of Crossfit USA in Berlin Ct(Thanks Renee!). We are located just off rte 9 in Berlin and we offer a 4200 sq ft facility complete with shower.We also are in the middle of building and outdoor field with pull up bars and volley ball net for various games(hoover ball etc). In addition to Crossfit USA I am co-owner of the soon to be Crossfit Cheshire club in Cheshire Ct. We take ownership as of July 1st and when you join either club you have the option at training at the other club for no additional fees. Between the 2 clubs you have almost 9000 sq ft of cutting edge Crossfit facilities with plenty of equipment to get the job done. As for the community aspect of a Crossfit box ,I like to think we do as good a job as any in creating the best possible environment for elite level fitness. I have met both the owners of Crossfit Watertown and Crossfit Central and no matter what location you ultimately choose you will find talented coach's who are passionate about Crossfit. If you have any further questions please feel free to call me at 860-828-7711 or my cell(860-830-5744) www.crossfitusa.net