CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Lewis View Post
You're all pretty much saying the same thing. It must be true. My why is to quit feeling like crap, but I think because I feel like crap I don't have the motivation to do anything. I just think i've gotten to used to feeling like crap.
How's your diet? Are you getting enough sleep? Both of those can make huge contributions to how you feel overall.

On exercise, I'd suggest starting slow. Walk around the neighborhood a few times a week. Stretch. If you have an office job, do as much of your work as possible standing up.

None of those will do much to build "elite fitness," but even a relatively low level of activity *will* make you feel better. As your mood improves, your motivation will improve.

Katherine
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
You're all pretty much saying the same thing. It must be true. My why is to quit feeling like crap, but I think because I feel like crap I don't have the motivation to do anything. I just think i've gotten to used to feeling like crap.

I feel like if only someone would shake me I could snap out of it. I do truly want to feel healthy. Just no push behind my feet.
This may or may not help. It's long, but hopefully you'll find something to relate to in there.

wfs.

Mark
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
I feel like if only someone would shake me I could snap out of it. I do truly want to feel healthy. Just no push behind my feet.
Joining an affiliate and becoming part of the community might be a significant shake. Specifically, the money, time, and the shared struggles and achievements.

But really, the true push has to come from you. Do you really want to make a change in your life or not? If you do, do it.

There's a push for ya.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
This may or may not help. It's long, but hopefully you'll find something to relate to in there.

wfs.

Mark
Mark, you disappoint me! I thought for sure this would be your link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

NSFW!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
Willis Holder

Profile:

Quote:
I would really really love to get into crossfit, but honestly my biggest struggle is staying motivated in any fitness. I was blessed with good genes and my body is that of a 2 year advocate, and maybe this is keeping me from being motivated. I don't feel great and thats my biggest reason for getting into fitness.

Please if you have any tips for motivation let me know!

Set a goal, a date by which you hope to acheive that it and begin taking the steps necessary to reach it. If you quit, you have failed. And there is no way you can hide from the fact that you let yourself down - whatever the excuse, deep down you will have to face the fact that you couldn't stick with it and don't have what it takes to succeed (this sort of tough-love type stuff works for me).

The goal could be strength related - say, being able to squat 2x your bodyweight

Or endurance related - like maybe running a sub-6 minute mile or a sub 20 min 5K

Or skill related - maybe developing a solid free-standing hand stand.

Whatever it is, pick a fitness-related goal and work hard training to accomplish it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Holder View Post
Set a goal, a date by which you hope to acheive that it and begin taking the steps necessary to reach it. If you quit, you have failed. And there is no way you can hide from the fact that you let yourself down - whatever the excuse, deep down you will have to face the fact that you couldn't stick with it and don't have what it takes to succeed (this sort of tough-love type stuff works for me).

The goal could be strength related - say, being able to squat 2x your bodyweight

Or endurance related - like maybe running a sub-6 minute mile or a sub 20 min 5K

Or skill related - maybe developing a solid free-standing hand stand.

Whatever it is, pick a fitness-related goal and work hard training to accomplish it.
+1 Goals are important! You want to go to gym? Why? make it your goal! If you wanna just feel better then +1 to katheriene.. eat well and sleep well.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
And I apologize for my comment about you being slightly over-opinionated. I mis-read your post and I thought you said that I was a waste of time if I was content with myself.

Yikes... What a great welcome response from me in joining the forum, huh? lol

Anyway thanks for the tips. Still there's gotta be things to help initate motivation.
Yikes!!!!! the problems with internet communication.
i did not mean to sound harsh.. or to infer that you are a waste of time.
but when i reread my post it did sound somewhat abrupt.. sorry for that. ( note to self reread before hitting send)

Seriously tho.. your motivation needs to come from within yourself. The what do you want to achieve, why you want to achieve that.. For myself CF is an end in itself.. a type of personal journey of discovery- but it started because I wanted to get fitter and stronger BUT stayed for the fun, the challenges and not in the least the friendships
For others it is about becoming fitter and stonger in order to excell at some other sport or to keep super fit for their job...

The best way to motivate yourslef is to set achievable short term goals and longer term goals.. as others have said joining an affliliate really helps..

Good Luck.. hang in there one of the hardest things is to break out of a negative habit and perhaps your wavering motivation is just a habit and a commitment for a few months will overcome that .. start and see where it leads you

cheers

Helen
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post

NSFW!
It's part of my New Year's resolution to not be a sarcastic jerk in every single one of my CF forum posts. Every rare now-n-then, I'm actually going to try to be helpful. This -- I'm happy to say -- was one of those moments.

Mark
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post

NSFW!
Chopper Reid is one of the best blokes in the world.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Try not to tell yourself that you lack motivation . If you think you are motivated, you are!

maybe..