CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

Cameron:

I went and looked at bodyquicken.com.

I guess I have a pretty deep cynicism about this stuff . . . particularly people who won't put their ingredients, or quantities, out there. When they start referring to "proprietary blend", I get suspicious.

Buried deep in the FAQ was a partial list of ingredients, and I gotta admit that they've got a lot of (potentially) interesting stuff listed.

But, a lot of it is fancy names for common B vitamins (e.g., "Cobalamin" = B12, "Pyridoxine HCL" = B6). Others are the full chemical name for compounds that are sold separately ("2-dimethylaminoethanol" = DMAE, "Thioctic acid" = alpha lipoic acid). Still others are the botanical names of "herbs" that are generally much more familiar as over-the-counter medications ("Salix Alba" = white willow bark = salicin = salicylic acid = aspirin).

Like I said, I'm a cynic.

Overall, however, it's an interesting collection of a whole lot of supplements that have some reputation for nervous system impact (DMAE, Phosphatydil Serine, etc.) and/or physical endurance (Ciwujia). I wonder if any of them really reach therapeutic dose levels, though . . . for instance, PS (phosphatidyl serine) is usually taken at about 100 mg 3x / day for improved mental functioning, and up to 800 mg / day for to achieve (hoped-for) improvements in body composition or athletic performance. 800 mg / day is a lot . . . both in the $ sense, and the in amount of pills you have to swallow (PS usually is unavoidably bundled with phosphatidyl choline in an oil form, separating out pure PS would be very expensive). So, I wonder, how much PS is there really gonna be in this?

So, after all my bashing the product, I'm still curious . . . you take it? you like it? what does it do for you?

Dave
Old 06-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-

You are right, caffeine is an alkaloid...the structure is not entirely unlike that of the DNA bases...I do no think this is a coincidence!

I was comped a 3 month supply of ciwijia and got nothing from is save stmach upset. Jarrow has a product Neuro Optimizer...very expensive but it does some cool stuff. Try 150-300mg of DMAE and a similar amount of coffee the next time you are trying for a max lift.

Robb
Old 06-25-2003, 01:04 AM   #13
Cameron Lee Earle

Profile:  
I take the product and like it alot. It makes me focus and gives me a clean type of energy(no jitters). The inventor is a friend of mine and he also has a 110% guarantee. Everytime I see him I ask him a differnt question about the product because I like to talk about the science behind it... when I take something for stimulation this is it. It also has a mood balancing effect which levels you out (I would discontinue coffee when you take this product). Tim only puts the highest quality ingredients into his product. I would contact him via e-mail with a list of questions so that he may answer them for you. Tim is very intelligent and has alot of faith in his product which makes for a informative discussion. Actually the way I met him was over the phone. I called a service he hired to sell the product when he was away on a trip.They gave me crap for info. Several days later he called me because he figured my questions were not anwsered efficently. Now he gives me product for my testimonal in his ads in martial arts mags. He hasn't paid for testimonals because he does not belive in paying for positive feed back...

I just finished speaking with him and he was intrigued by your comments and would like you to contact him. His e-mail address is Timothy@brainQuicken.com, when e-mailing him put my name in the subject line so that he can recognize it from the many e-mails he receives. Leave your phone number so that he may call you. (he prefers to have a conversation rather than e-mailing back and forth)
Old 06-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #14
David Wood

Profile:

Cameron:

Will do.

Incidentally, I like the quote in your profile . . . it pretty much sums up CrossFit in one line!

Dave