CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-08-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
Phil Moncel

Profile:
Thanks for your great web site. I can do 15 pull ups and dips on a good day so lately I have thought about starting training for a muscle-up. I could not find rings so I used cable crossover handles and climbing ropes. I tried to use the grip where the handle rests on the palm of your hands (to prepare for the transition pullup -> dip) but found that I had no strength in that position and could barely pull myself up (very humbling)! My question to you guys: any suggestions on improving technique and grip strength to overcome this obstacle?

Thanks very much!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Phil, Im in the same boat. I can do somewhere between 16-20 pullups, as with dips, but cant even get close to the transition on the muscleup. I think theres a LOT more to being able to do it than your pullup/dip performance alone. Im curious to hear suggestions too.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Here's a picture of the false grip.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/1713.html

On your pullups, are you going up to the point that your chest hits the bar? If not, you might want to work on that for a while. Getting up higher will put you in a much better position to make the transition. If you're already there, then it really helps to keep your elbows in tight to your body when doing the transition.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 01-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
A lot of the muscle up is learning the technique. Learning how to roll your shoulders over in the transition is critical, as is being comfortable with the false grip. When you do your pull ups make sure you pull high. Try to pull the bar/rings below your pecs. When you do dips try to lower your shoulders clear down to your hands. If you can do 15 reps like this, you are easily strong enough to perform a muscle up, it's just learning the feel.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
Phil Moncel

Profile:
Thank you all. I will implement your suggestions and keep working at it!:happy:
Old 01-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
i learned how to do a muscle-up by practicing on a real sturdy door in my apartment. after about a week of trying and getting some nasty scrapes i got it. next, i went to the gym and tried it on the freestanding pul-up bar there (hint: you may want to counter balance the thing with some plates or dumbbells! i almost pulled the thing over on myself the first time!)

the false grip on a pull-up bar is a little different than on rings. plus, i think the whole movement is a little different. it's almost like you have to pull up and out, then over, or you will get some nice scrapes on your chest.

if doing it on a bar, i start by sort of gripping with my finger tips, and as i pull up and over i roll my hands foward and push more off the heels of my hands. (it's what climbers call a mantle). it's a pretty smooth transition with no hesitation. i have never done one on rings since my gym dosent have any. not sure which is harder - rings or a bar.

scott
Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Scott, can you tell me/us a little more about the MU's on a pullup bar? I've tried a false grip on the PU bar but I slip back to a normal grip as soon as I weight it. Sounds like you start with a normal overhand PU grip and then roll your hands over the bar as you come up... ? I've been able to crank out a couple of MU's on the rings but haven't been able to get anywhere close on a bar.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
chris-

yes, you start with your palms facing away from you. it's sort of a normal grip, but like i mentioned i seem to grip a little closer to my fingertips than if i was doing a regular pull-up. when you begin, just crank really hard (from a static position of course!) and just go for it. it seems like i tend to favor my left side a little more, which is wierd since it's my weaker side. if i had a camera i'd fim it and post, but i don't. hope some of this helps. good luck.

scott
Old 01-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Scott Parker

Profile:
another thing to mention, once i was ablt to do 20 pull-ups in a row, a muscle-up happened pretty soon after. my max is 23 pull-ups (can't seem to hit 25!) and eventhough i hardly get a chance to get to the gym i can almost always still crank off a muscle up when i'm in the gym. it's a combination of strength, conditioning, and mentally believing that you can do it!

scott
Old 01-19-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
Myron Hensel

Profile:
Those muscle ups sound pretty hard guys seriously. My max is currently 25 pullups. I am trying to beat my school record which is 28. Pretty good for a 16 year old eh? I do them throughout the day with atleast 7 sets of 15-20 reps. The world record is 370 pullups which is simply amazing!