CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #51
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

I just got back from my ortho appointment. As it turns out, I have a small supraspinatus tendon tear, and because I'm about to deploy for a year, the doctor wants to repair it. He also considered my level of activity and the likelihood of it worsening while in a location where I won't be able to receive definitive treatment and/or the possibility of having to be sent home if it does worsen, so he thinks it's best to fix it surgically.

I'm in good shape but I'm interested in others' experiences with this type of surgery.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #52
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

Theresa, I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. I don't know if it's the same healing time, with or without surgery. Do what you have to do, but, if you can get another medical opinion, it might be a good idea. Find out all you can about the surgery. Is it laproscopic? What is the usual rehab schedule, etc?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #53
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Thanks for thinking of me, Lenora!

I've seen this doctor for problems with my other shoulder and a knee that I had surgery on years ago when I was still a teenager. He doesn't seem to be one whose first option is to cut people open; however, I know I will continue to CrossFit at the pace I have been, and the potential for more damage is undoubtedly there. I really don't want them to send me home from my deployment because of a torn up shoulder! So, leaving it alone doesn't appear to be an option, and it is hindering my performance--in CrossFit and in my everyday activities. I had to do some field training recently, and I was guarding it the entire time--lugging body armor around for two days didn't help much either. Besides, I haven't gotten good sleep in a long time because of it!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #54
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Theresa, I understand you wanting to be in the best condition when you are deployed. I had to scale cf and on some days do only low body work. If you get the surgery, I'm sure you'll get rehab and physical therapy to regain your range of motion and strength. Find out all you can before you have the surgery so you can plan your recovery. Some procedures are not that invasive. Keep us posted, and best of luck.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #55
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
I just got back from my ortho appointment. As it turns out, I have a small supraspinatus tendon tear, and because I'm about to deploy for a year, the doctor wants to repair it. He also considered my level of activity and the likelihood of it worsening while in a location where I won't be able to receive definitive treatment and/or the possibility of having to be sent home if it does worsen, so he thinks it's best to fix it surgically.

I'm in good shape but I'm interested in others' experiences with this type of surgery.

Do it. I struggled for 12 months trying to rehab a tear in this exact tendon without surgery. Very frustrating . . . a lot of different modalities (RICE, ART, anti-inflammatories, etc.) "helped" . . . but nothing cured it like going under the knife. Very successful surgery . . . 8 months later, I'm at 99%.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #56
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Thanks for the advice, David. Last night was probably my most uncomfortable night with this shoulder problem, but it was nice to have it happen at my parents' house because my mom took good care of me.

Anyway, how much time went by before you were really able to continue regular activies? I'm scheduled to have the surgery 19 February, but I'm supposed to go to 2 months of training with the Army (I'm Air Force), which begins 31 March. I really don't want this to interfere with my deployment, but at the same time, I know I cannot deploy with it feeling this way.