CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Out of curiosity, How many people do there own version of crossfit? How many people follow the WOD only and not create there own?

Also, I am no newby to fitness but does anyone have advice on learning to do handstands, handstand presses, etc?

Last but not least, I perform a variety of physical work on an inconsistant basis that is above and beyond normal physical work...due to my job. Would you not do the WOD on those days?

Thank You!

In his name!
Old 02-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #2
james nash

Profile:  
Jeff-- sometimes I do the straight WOD. Sometimes
I have to change it due to not having a rower or
rings, but try to substitute something similar.
Sometimes due to work I get behind and sort of
combine two WOD's together (usually dropping one or two movements of necessity). Sometimes I do a
kettlebell workout instead, but try to use the
WOD as the basis for the KB drills. If you haven't gotten the February CrossFit Journal, I
recommend you get it. It lays out the matrix used
to create the WOD's, and with it in hand you could
create your own workouts following the same
design.

I try hard not to get too anal about the details.
I believe we can make great progress as long as we
stick to the main principles.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I've definitely applied CrossFit principles to my own workouts. Combining different modalities into a single workout in a huge variety of permutations has always appealed to me. Right now I'm in sort of a skill acquisition phase. I'm doing a lot of gymnastics right now and I hope to get some instruction on the Olympic lifts at some point. Once I get these down, I will be able to complete all of the skills present in the CrossFit program.
My current workouts are 3 1-hour gymnastics practices per week. 2 or 3 trips to the weight room. I do front and overhead squats once or twice and back squats once a week. I do a few sets of pullups between sets as well. Then I will do the rowing machine for either Tabata or 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m. My choice depends on the amount of squatting. Then 2 or 3 days a week I will do a Kettlebell workout of some kind. I'm also throwing some Clubbell work in there, which has been interesting. This probably sounds like more than it really is, but it's not too much. I've been focusing on flexibility lately, so my nightly stretching session takes away from the time I can devote to my other training. I am using primarily the Jumpstretch flexibility program with some Relax Into Stretch, Warrior Wellness and gymnastics thrown in. If I can be more disciplined and wake up earlier, I will do some joint work in the morning. It really helps get ready for the day.
Perhaps at some point I will do the WOD on a more regular basis. However, the gym at my school has no platforms for Olympic lifting and the track for running is flooded with sheep doing their jogging.
Greg's definition of fitness and his February issue of CrossFit, where he discussed the organization behind the program are probably the two best articles on fitness that I have ever read. I keep trying to get people to subscribe to the journal, but for some reason these cheap bastards think $25/year is a lot for a magazine. True, but most magazine are just ads and a few poorly written articles peddling supplements. CFJ is PURE information and I just can't put a high enough value to that.
I don't mean to offend anyone that doesn't have the money for it. But I do think it's true value goes beyond its monetary value.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

I've been "trying" to do the WOD for about 4 months now. Even when I don't, I've incorporated a lot of CrossFit's principles into almost every workout.

More specifically, my workouts today are much more likely to include:

- whole body movements (Olympic lifts, power cleans, overhead squats),
- gymnastic-type movements (I'm good at handstand pushups now)
- bodyweight exercises done for middling reps (10 sets of 5 chinups, done with 30 seconds rest) or high reps (working up to 100 straight squat thrusts)
- rope climbs
- and a whole host of odd lifts that I never heard of before coming here

than they were before I discovered CrossFit.

But . . . the one element of CrossFit that I (and I'll bet you) *really* don't replicate on my own is that gut-busting intensity. When Coach asks "How many rounds in 20 minutes?" or "How many minutes for 4 rounds?", nothing but a willingness to endure some pain will be a legitimate response.

I find that I really don't do that kind of intense work without the structure of a formalized workout / exercise prescription. Yes, I know by now that I could create one of my own. Yes, I sometimes go back and do one of my favorite WOD from the past (e.g. 10 rounds of two-handed DB swings, followed by 5 chinups).

So now, I generally actually "do it" only about 2 or 3 days per week. (One of my goals (proclaimed here in an earlier post) is to get up to doing it at least 2 days out of every 3-day cycle by July 4th).

Amusingly, I probably have less excuse than most for not doing it . . . my gym has most all that I need, including treadmills to avoid the cold weather that we're having this winter in NJ. The only thing lacking (equipment-wise) is rings.

The real lack, as far as I can see in myself, is the willingness to approach physical pain as often as the WOD requires.

But . . . I've noticed that I truly get the most out of those workouts when I do the WOD as close to specified as possible (but it has to be at least a 95% effort). There seems to be a HUGE gap between a 90% effort and a 100% effort, and, for me, I have to get at least half way across that abyss to start getting some of the benefits.

On the days that I truly skip the WOD (assuming that I work out at all), then I'll probably incorporate the elements listed above, but without the intensity that the WOD calls for. The YMCA where I work out in the early morning has a great bunch of guys, mostly powerlifters, who provide a lot of good-natured abuse (and support) for anyone working on the big three. So it's easy just to slide into a workout that's already ongoing among the 4 or 5 guys that are usually already there when I arrive.

As long as that workout is deadlifts, it's probably not wasted time. I'll usually do sets of 5, jumping in more often than my turn would strictly allow for, in order to keep my pace up. (The others don't mind my jumping in; they think I'm crazy already . . . they'd rather work more slowly on 450 lbs, I'm stripping weights back to 335 and trying to get multiple sets).

The last two days I haven't gone near the gym . . . shoveling out my driveway was more than enough work, thank you very much.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:07 AM   #5
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
I appreciate everyones response!

In his name.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:28 AM   #6
Mark Cain

Profile:

own version- have for 25+ years-
post results when they collide