CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-21-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Has anyone tried out Matt Furey's training methods (for sale at www.mattfurey.com)?
Specifically Combat Stretching?

I get a sense that he's a little gimicky.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ahhhh.....yes, you could say that!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I've actually heard good things about his Combat Stretching program, but yes, he is gimmicky to the extreme.
The best stretching resources I have found are:
Static- Relax into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline
Joint Work- Warrior Wellness by Scott Sonnon
Active Flexibility- Jumpstretch bands
Strength Flexibility- Olympic Lifting and Gymnastics
Old 02-21-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Awesome!! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
Ross Burke

Profile:
Janet, I'd add one to Tyler's list; The Stretch Book, by Phil and Jim Wharton. They call their particular brand of stretching 'active-isolated stretching' but it's been used around athletic communities for years and known as 'PNF' stretching.

Like the variation we need in our strength training, we can benefit from a variety of stretching methods also. Steal a little from yoga, the Wharton's, Tsatsouline, whomever and whatever you can find.

And have fun with all of it!
Old 02-22-2003, 05:12 AM   #6
Mark Cain

Profile:

gimmicky? these guys are wrestlers after all. these people have been known to be somewhat extreme. "it's not a tickling contest!" ( to quote a movie character ). this seems to be a little like Ken Shamrock's lion's den stuff although "the most dangerous man in the world" is somewhat more subdued than this matt furey fella! every website seems somewhat gimmicky in it's attempts to get you to adhere to it's tenents and of course, buy the book. so there are always people who talk it up. i prefer the more in your face style of gimmicks as it is really easy to ignore it.
Ross's input, IMO, was the best: take what you can from every discipline. have a great time with it all.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:14 AM   #7
Mark Cain

Profile:

Tyler,
thanks for the references. i am heading to a book store to find those books. greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Mark,
As for the references, you will probably only find Pavel's book in a store...maybe.
For Jumpstretch, go to www.jumpstretch.com and they have a demo of their stretching routine. There are a few more moves on the video, but that is the basics. All you need is a light band to get started, although they recommend working up to an average band over time.
For Warrior Wellness, you will have to check www.rmax.tv.
Olympic Lifting and Gymnastics is not a book (unfortunately!). I was just referring to the two activities. However, I do recommend the Tommy Kono book for O-lifting.
I agree with Ross, everything about my training, stretching included, is an amalgamation of a variety of different sources.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #9
Mark Cain

Profile:

tyler,
lol... yes, i understood that the reference to Olympic lifting was not as a book..it's an esoteric mix but certainly not implausible.

i likewise have been taking from as many activities as i encounter them. probably most people on these boards do as well.
take the best from the best. or at least take the stuff that you like until someone comes along to point out the stuff that you left behind or that you took yet didn't need.
cheers!
mark