CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Stephen Cork

Profile:

For those in the UK.
Ever feel like equipment over hear is either hard to get hold of, impossible to get hold of, or really expensive? Maybe it's just me! Or you've no idea of the quality?

Anyway i'd love to hear of your solutions or reviews of any crossfit type equipment you have found.

While we could go for anything and everything, how about discussing your experiences with different kettlebells that are available here as a starter.

I sent the request about KB's to the guys at Crossfit London but thought i'd open it up to the board also.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Stephen Cork

Profile:

I have 2 kettlebells made by Stan Pike at www.intensefitness.co.uk
I got these (a 16kg, and later a 24kg) a few years back when Stan was probably the only source of KB's here.
I think the light one is actually closer to 17, and the 24 (sold as a 25) is around or just under 24. However my scales may be out.

These are solid bits of kit and my only grumble is aesthetic, as the 2 bells are different in style. I really love the 16 - just a solid black lump that is heavier than it looks. I'm less keen on the 24 as it is a bigger hollow sounding silver ball and isn't a shock to pick up - like the deceptive 16.

Other than that they seem to do a great job, and service was great. I've recently tried enquiring as to the type of bell i would get now, but haven't heard back. Maybe i should follow up that e mail.

These are the only bells i've seen and used, so i can't compare unfortunately.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Duncan Swain

Profile:
Hi Stephen,

I've got a 16kg kettlebell from www.londonkettlebells.com which has been fne. Bit hard on the hands but I guess all kettlebells are?

I'm also interested in sourcing some cheap hexagonal dumbbells from somewhere in the UK. Any suggestions as to where to get them?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
David Easton

Profile:
Cheap Kettlebells that are ok for swings etc but not good for snatches

http://www.newitts.com/product/IT014116/Kettlebell.htm

And cheap Hex dumbells, click on products, then Dumb Bells and scroll down to the metal hex dumb bells . These are same shap as the rubber ones but are solid metal

http://www.physicalcompany.co.uk/

(Message edited by scottishdav on June 08, 2006)

(Message edited by scottishdav on June 08, 2006)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Stephen Cork

Profile:

Thanks Guys,

Good to get this thread going.
The Hex DB's! - I've had a dilemma over the past few weeks as to whether i should get several sets of these or only a few KB's.

In terms of group training, i don't think i can justify the price of KB's vs the amount of DB's i could get.

David - have you used any other types that you do like for all moves?

Gotta give a heads up to Newitts for anyone after a tug of war rope / power rope. Theirs are the cheapest i've seen and presume they would work well as a power rope. I've yet to invest however.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
David Easton

Profile:
Ive got 3 kettlebells, 2 from Newitts 8kg, 16kg and one from www.powerseekers.com a 24kg

The Newitts ones are great value but the handles are too shallow and too thin. The powerseekers one is briliant for everyexercise but are a bit expensive.

I have also got 2 pair of Hex dumb bells from Physical Company 5kg and 10kg and they are great quality. I think I will be buying more dumb bells from them instead of Kettlebells .
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Dan Carter

Profile:  
Guys,

I bought a set of 3 (16,24,32 kg) from powerseekers. They were basically good BUT 2 were a matt finish and one was a deep gloss finish, kind of ruining the look of the set - hardly vital but a bit irritating.

When I rang to ask about this about this, they were totally unhelpful, refusing to acknowledge there was any kind of a problem.

The guy even made this sarcastic speech about what were they supposed to do - they had changed suppliers and didn't have all of the weights in the new finish. When I suggested that they could just mention that fact on the website, he went quiet for a second and then reiterated that I was being a pansy for caring about the finish.

So, ok product, apalling customer service.

On the other hand, on the hex dumbells front, there is a guy with an ebay (uk) shop (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HOSSACK-STRENGTH-AND-FITNESS) called Richard Hossack who has ivanko hex dumbells up to 100lbs, which are tricky to find anywhere else (most people have up to 30kg)
- they are not in the listings, but he has them if you email him

He also had the best customer service ever including the fact that he was going to be in my area, so delivered them personally to save me the postage.

Finally, http://www.gymratz.co.uk are pretty good - I think their hex dumbells are cheaper than the other site above.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Hi,

Just to say I have a 16 & a 24 from powerseekers and was very happy with their service. They are the cheapest bells I have found in the UK.

I collected my second bell ( the 24kg) from them and they were kind enough to spend about 30mins running through the basic exercises checking my form.

Cheers

Stuart