CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Trying "Paleo-ish" SUPER TIRED - and --- snacks??

Don't hate me for saying this, but..... a VERY simple solution that has worked wonders for me, for several years, is.....

... drumroll ....

Just don't snack.

What is it with the almonds and the jerkey and the (lord forbid) celery sticks... give me a break. We're not hervibores that ought to eat all day.

Tell me exactly which macronutrient you can't get enough of in 3 square meals. I say you can get enough of everything you need in 3 square meals. Heck, maybe in 2 as well. I can see this being a problem for those eating in the 6-8 thousand calories a day, but lets face it, the huge majority of the population, including members of these forums, aren't eating that much.

I can see why snacking is needed by someone who has 1 toast with jelly and a glass of orange juice as "breakfast". But have a manly breakfast with a lot of fat and protein (carb level being whatever you wish) and tell me you REALLY need to snack 1-2 hours later. Truth is you don't.

Of course, this is just my OPINION and not a fact. So don't be too hard on me if you disagree.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Don't hate me for saying this, but..... a VERY simple solution that has worked wonders for me, for several years, is.....

... drumroll ....

Just don't snack.

What is it with the almonds and the jerkey and the (lord forbid) celery sticks... give me a break. We're not hervibores that ought to eat all day.

Tell me exactly which macronutrient you can't get enough of in 3 square meals. I say you can get enough of everything you need in 3 square meals. Heck, maybe in 2 as well. I can see this being a problem for those eating in the 6-8 thousand calories a day, but lets face it, the huge majority of the population, including members of these forums, aren't eating that much.

I can see why snacking is needed by someone who has 1 toast with jelly and a glass of orange juice as "breakfast". But have a manly breakfast with a lot of fat and protein (carb level being whatever you wish) and tell me you REALLY need to snack 1-2 hours later. Truth is you don't.

Of course, this is just my OPINION and not a fact. So don't be too hard on me if you disagree.
I'll disagree a little bit, Arturo, albeit politely.

First off, the snacking phenomenon is deeply embedded in American food culture. Americans tend to pick and graze at food all day, often alone. This contrasts with other food cultures, for example, France. There, the food culture calls for regular sit down meals at certain times, and in the company of family, friends, or work colleagues. So, Arturo, a lot of this snacking thing you are reading in the forums is coming from American food culture. Other cultures, including your own, are different.

Three or four regular meals a day, or even intermittent fasting, is likely going to work well for most people so long as they aren't trying to change their body composition too much because they are already lean and fit.

However, for folks looking to lose fat or gain muscle, eating five or six small meals per day can help. For those seeking to gain muscle, eating multiple small but protein heavy meals each day flushes the bloodstream with amino acids, making them readily available to rebuilding muscle for protein synthesis. Occasional carb loading provides just enough of an insulin spike to encourage amino acid absorption without leading to chronic fat absorption.

Conversely, for those losing fat; frequent, small, low-carb meals directly counteracts the two biggest causes of excess fat desposition. The first is chronically high carbohydrate intake during most meals, most especially the Terrible Three - sucrose, white flour, and corn syrup. The second is consuming really large meals at one sitting - no matter what the macronutrient composition is. Doing either of these contributes to chronic hyperinsulinemia, which results increasing obesity over time.

All that said, for folks who have a normal metabolism and a healthy body fat composition and who want to keep it that way, you are correct Arturo - there is no need for snacking. I think the British have it about right - breakfast, lunch, tea, and a late dinner.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
Kelly Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine McCorkle View Post
Hey Kelly, I started eating primal / paleo-ish last week. The first three days were TERRIBLE. Headaches, fatigue, some nausea, couldn't concentrate to save my life. I told myself that if the fourth and fifth day weren't better, I was done.

The 4th and 5th days were better, and each day has gotten progressively better for the most part. I'm still giving myself half a cup of coffee with a little half and half in the morning too, and I don't feel any guilt about it. My suggestion is to eat more at lunch. You look like you're snacking all afternoon, but it seems you're reluctant to snack on meat (other than jerky, which can be loaded with sodium). Add 6 oz. of dark chicken to your salad instead of 3.5 oz. Eat a hardboiled egg or handful of almonds on the side. Throw some avocado on that salad too!

I use fitday.com to track nutrition, and the sparkpeople recipe calculator to calculate nutrition info for the meals I make. Both are free and easy. I aim for 40-50% calories from fat and 30% from protein as I am trying to drop fat and gain muscle.

Keep at it!

Thank you for this.
I've started thinking about snacks differently, and have read ALOT more since jumping in on this adventure. I **HIGHLY** reccomend the cookbook Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan by the way and the website www.thefoodee.com (WFS unless offended by droolworthy eats).

You are 100% right, I needed to load lunch a little more, and chill on afternoon snacks. I have a tendancy to snack and snack in the afternoons as I am home with a sleeping child in the afternoons... and hey!! theres the pantry!!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Cain Papettas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post

... drumroll ....

Just don't snack.

Im 100% with you on this arturo, i just recently got back from thailand and i was training twice a day,

mornings 6 am to 9am high intensity then BREAKFAST
REST
afternoon 3 till 5/530pm same training then DINNER
evening for all those westerners they would have a high calorie sugary snack e.g ice cream candy because we are on holidays cmon!!!

throughout the day whilst resting never got hungry i was eating plently in those meal blocks and compared to home my bowel movements where actually more frequent! In saying this though i should of eaten more of everything i lost a little bit of muscle but really leaned out nicely and had that Muay thai fighter body

I beleave when people snack/graze its more out of boredom due to maybe a boring office job or even when i think about food ill just grab it for the sake of it! but hey each to their own but if you where to do your 2 meals and a snack correctly i think it would do a worlddd of good!!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

As for snacking. Meat or fruit. That's simple. An apple or banana. Cook up some bacon or meat and carry it in a baggie. Nothing like tri-tip to snack on. Or boiled eggs.

Personally, I have nothing against celery or carrot sticks. I'm not known as Mr Veggie but I could easily go through a few stalks or carrots a day. They also aren't as messy as fruit is to eat which made them handy when I was coaching since I could just keep a handful in my pocket.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #26
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Kelly, keep up the great work. Just some advise that will help with your ratio. Try to have protein, fats, and carbs at every meal/snack. If you can't have any protein from real food, there's always protein powder. Works great.

Some snack ideas:
Shakes:
1 scoop of protein powder
8oz of almond milk
1 banana
1 tbsp of almond butter or sunbutter

Or you can break it up:
Protein powder with almond milk
1 piece of fruit
Handful of nuts or tbsp of almond butter or sunbutter.

You can also have some hard oiled eggs with some fruit.

I'll occasionally have some coffee with milk or cream and a Splenda or truvia, but I've switched it to tea, which I can have with no sugar. There are some great flavored teas out now.

It also helps in the beginning to track your food using FitDay or something similar to see how many calories and your ratios. After a while, you can estimate on your own. Also, when I get a little headache or feel sluggish, it is because I'm hungry, so next time you feel that way, eat and see how you feel.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Luke: it's ok we can disagree about stuff. I just happen to think snacking is a very girly thing to do. haha.

I liked these two articles about snacking. Note this is not the reason I don't snack: I just never snack, haven't in years. With the meals I eat I just don't feel the need.
WFS: http://www.gnolls.org/1794/why-snack...-not-just-fat/
WFS: http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack...-snack-appeal/

I can see why snacking becomes mandatory when people doing "PALEO" eat a:

-breakfast of 3 egg whites, 1 yolk, with mushrooms and a carrot.
-lunch of 4oz chicken breast with broccoli and 1tbsp of olive oil.
-dinner of 5oz lean ground beef with 1 cup spinach and 17-1/2 almonds.

But with proper meals? I don't feel there is a need. However, if there is a CULTURAL issue going on... well, snack if you must.

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 01-23-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Forgot the links... sorry, I was snacking.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine McCorkle View Post
Hey Kelly, I started eating primal / paleo-ish last week. The first three WEEKS were TERRIBLE.

Keep at it!
Wife & I made the shift 3 months ago - I bolded the above part because she really struggled for 3 weeks. Had that nasty sugar addiction and was not getting enough calories in for her activity level (hence, the body craving something which was filled to a degree with sugar).

Sweet potatoes mixed with unsweetened applesauce were better calories that helped support her activity level (CF & running).

Since making the shift her mile times have dropped by :30/mile and she feels great. It certainly helped with both of us providing a support system...we don't have bad stuff around the house.

Stick with it for a month and see how you feel. Eat more than you think you need and as others said, use Fitday or some other online software to help track your food intake for a while to make sure you are getting enough.