CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Thumbs down A case for high fructose corn syrup

http://www.sweetsurprise.com (WFS)

Check it out. I think it's hilarious.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Carleigh Corey

Profile:
Re: A case for high fructose corn syrup

It is funny! I guess the makers of HFCS are fighting back against their bad rap. Have you seen the commercials yet? They're running out here..
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Yeah, I actually just saw it a couple of minutes ago. I didn't know if they were trying to actually be serious or not, but apparently so.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

My folks used to have four or five cocktails every night, and smoked like chimneys. All the neighbors rotated happy hour among houses. My mom smoked while she was in freaking labor with me. The nurse did too.

In about fifteen or twenty years, people are going to look back at migh fructose corn syrup Just. Like. That.

That's what I think anyway.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Tanner View Post
http://www.sweetsurprise.com (WFS)

Check it out. I think it's hilarious.
I've seen that link, and it definitely not WFS - its a killer for your Work and Family in 20 years when their obesity kills them if they take that path. Funny how overweight people appear in the commercials too.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Ahh, the evil that is advertising.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Let's rebut rather than sneer, guys. What's incorrect?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Your right Brandon, we should rebut intelligently. I only meant to express my humor towards some advocate group attempting to put little or no blame on high fructose corn syrup towards the many health problems facing Americans today. One thing I saw without looking too in depth into the site was that they were explaining that excessive calories and sedentary lifestyle are leading factors to obesity. Yes sedentary lifestyle is a factor in obesity but I think they are overlooking macro-nutrients and the relations to hormones. If you take in a lot of sugar, your insulin rises, eicsanoids* are out of whack, etc etc. They focus at the calories of the ingredient, even suggesting that sugar is better than fat because it has less calories per gram. The issue with their site is the misunderstanding of macro nutrients and the responses it has to the body. The website also suggests that sugar is to be taken in at moderation. But I see no clear definition of the quantitative amount of sugar that should be taken in. I would be interested into seeing what they suggest for the macro nutrient percentage of carbohydrates a person should take in along with fat and protein. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be what Barry Sears suggests.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Of course, even assuming that's all true, it would only mean that HFCS is exactly as good or bad as regular sugar, not worse (which many of you seem to be implying).
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Brandon:

Here are my thoughts and objections to the advertising.

1. All information presented seems to be factually correct.

2. This factually correct information is presented in ways which suggest faulty conclusions.

3. This direct influence through indirect lies interferes with the average consumer's ability to make good choices.

4. Although a consumer is ultimately responsible for his own fate, I think advertisers get away with too much dishonesty. In my never-quite-so-humble-opinion, I think certain claims are breaches of corporate ethical obligations.

5. Consider one of the messages that flashes HUGE on the banner: "HFCS has No Artificial Ingredients". I want to relate to you something a friend of mine said the other day, "But it has to be healthy Ryan, it's organic and it has all-natural ingredients!" Advertisers have managed to create two labels, natural and organic, and connect them to healthy eating in the mind of consumers. Refer back to point 4.

6. The article states that there is no reason to look for single ingredients to blame for obesity. And they are, to an extent, right. However, if we lump all types of sugar into one pot, than yes, we can point to a huge reason for obesity. Sugar, whether as HFSC or as any other sugar placed in sweetened foods, affects the hormonal balance in the body drastically. To be sure, starches are almost as bad, but sugar is definately a single, unhealthy ingredient and can be fairly condemned as such. The article is obviously meant to convey that HFSC is no *worse* than regular sugar, but the implication given is that even treating sugars as a single-ingredient evil is wrong. Again, refer to point 4.

7. The reference made to fat being more calorie-dense per gram is misleading. Fat is hormonally nuetral and, unless you have a very odd diet, much harder to consume in huge quantities than sugar. Few kids are downing barrels of almonds or taking shots of olive oil, but you can bet they're having multiple refills on their fountain drinks while chowing down pizza on a regular basis. Even though fat is more carb-dense, I am certain that in most any pizza/pasta/rice+soda dish, the vast majority of calories, (and obviously, the cause of insulin spikes), is the carbohydrates, not the fat. The off-handed, unexplained comment about caloric density is factually correct, but deliberately misleading. Once again, my 4th point.

8. The articles constantly state that "sugars are ok in moderation." I am going to say this is *possibly* factual, but not in any sense of the word recognizable to a consumer. As a strict Zoner experimenting with exactly what works and what doesn't, I am aware of everything I eat. When I subbed in corn for grean beans (high-density carbs for low), I starved. One chocolate mint would replace one block of my beloved, hunger-inhibiting veggies, and so every night I leave them alone on he counter. In a 12 oz Coke, there are 40g of sugar: effectively 1/3rd of my daily Zone requirements of carbs. So drinking a Coke within the context of a balanced diet would leave me starving all day long. To include a Coke as part of a balanced daily diet would leave me terribly hungry on the day I had even one. Making it a habit would leave me malnourished.

*SO*, yes it is possible to have sugar in moderation. That will be me in the future when I'm having a chocolate mint before bed when I relax my diet experiment. However, try to sell that as "moderation" to any American consumer who currently drinks soda. I doubt they would label that as anything short of extreme. So yes, I think this claim is again, *possibly* factual, but inherently misleading based upon the understandings of the readers.

9. In summary, I agree the industry is protecting its interests in stating that they are at least no worse than other sugars. However, they do so in a misleading way which will not benefit the average, under-educated, sadly-misguided general public.