CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #31
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

^^^ Give it time. Just a little...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

I managed to stay out of this thread until just now.....

Did you work up to that weight or just decide to go with it?

Pretty sweet dude, may try these tomorrow night actually. Need to make sure the box can hold 400lbs though.....
__________________
| Log (wfs) |

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 10-07-2013 at 07:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #33
Blaise Davis
Member Blaise Davis is offline
 
Blaise Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midland  TX
Posts: 331
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I managed to stay out of this thread until just now.....

Did you work up to that weight or just decide to go with it?

Pretty sweet dude, may try these tomorrow night actually. Need to make sure the box can hold 400lbs though.....
yeah we made sure and put 405 on the box before hand, we worked up from the bar....there is actually not much to it, the first one with the bar was the hardest....the catch is the hardest part....we stopped after 195, we weren't trying to max out with it or anything ha
__________________
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83031
***Team Jesus*** M 5'7"/160/24
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
yeah we made sure and put 405 on the box before hand, we worked up from the bar....there is actually not much to it, the first one with the bar was the hardest....the catch is the hardest part....we stopped after 195, we weren't trying to max out with it or anything ha
I have done the version where you start with the bar on your back, and you are on your knees and "jump/explode" up to your feet.

Absolutly NO way I'm going up to 195, might not even go up to 155. Just another circus trick.
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Bear in mind, acceleration forces make for more weight than just the sum of you and the bar. Godspeed circus dwellers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Dakota Base
Member Dakota Base is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wichita  KS
Posts: 394
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Bear in mind, acceleration forces make for more weight than just the sum of you and the bar. Godspeed circus dwellers.
Yeah, the dynamic impact of 405lbs on top of the box can be considerably more than the simple 1G weight. The way he landed, barely making the height, it probably wasn't much more than 1G, but if a guy got any height over the box before catching, goodbye box and goodbye spine.

Biggest concern I'd have would be the box getting tipsy if the catch on top wasn't perfect (straight down, fully on the box).

Won't say that it's not cool, and yeah, it's exactly what Youtube is meant for, but I wouldn't make a regular practice of it. But I'm the first to admit that I've done a lot more risky 'stunts' just for fun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #37
Blaise Davis
Member Blaise Davis is offline
 
Blaise Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midland  TX
Posts: 331
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I have done the version where you start with the bar on your back, and you are on your knees and "jump/explode" up to your feet.

Absolutly NO way I'm going up to 195, might not even go up to 155. Just another circus trick.
yeah mat jumps were in our programming with bar on back and one of our buddies had just came back from a dallas box that did this and said give it a wack so we just did it for fun....we had been doing mat jumps and will go back but just wanted something different
__________________
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83031
***Team Jesus*** M 5'7"/160/24
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
yeah mat jumps were in our programming with bar on back and one of our buddies had just came back from a dallas box that did this and said give it a wack so we just did it for fun....we had been doing mat jumps and will go back but just wanted something different
Wonderful. This sort of stupidity is going on elsewhere?

And for the record, you can do whatever you want. It is your life. The problem is when guys take videos and post them all over the place so outsiders, who already hate CrossFit, have more ammunition to use. That's the problem. Remember this lovely picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	12924  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #39
Blaise Davis
Member Blaise Davis is offline
 
Blaise Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midland  TX
Posts: 331
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Wonderful. This sort of stupidity is going on elsewhere?

And for the record, you can do whatever you want. It is your life. The problem is when guys take videos and post them all over the place so outsiders, who already hate CrossFit, have more ammunition to use. That's the problem. Remember this lovely picture?
Hey where did you find that picture of me
__________________
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83031
***Team Jesus*** M 5'7"/160/24
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #40
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: Weighted Box Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Which also raises a general question I've wondered... what's the point of wearing a baseball cap to workout anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
To look like a dumbass.
Let it go boys, some dudes like to wear hats. I'm one of them. I don't wear it to the side like that, but who cares? I will wear a flat brim Titleist hat just about anywhere.
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you do box jumps? Mike Doehla Exercises 13 06-02-2012 09:13 AM
Box Jumps Om Puri Exercises 8 12-07-2011 01:45 PM
Weighted box jumps and ACL strain Kevin Shaughnessy Exercises 13 07-10-2009 06:37 PM
Box Jumps? Jonathan A Wood Exercises 13 04-10-2009 07:03 PM
Box Jumps Fiona Muxlow Testimonials 5 03-18-2007 03:41 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.