CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Kristian Wolowidnyk

Profile:
some questions about opening a garage gym

hey guy im looking to hopfully open a garage gym come the new year if everything plays out right,

right now i have for equipment 1 rogue bar, 560 lbs of bumper plates (8 45s,2 35s, 2 25, 2 15s 2 10s, plus 2 metal 5s and 2n5s. also have a squat rac with pullup bar, concept2 rower, legends GHD, and a whole slew of kettlebells 2 1 pood, 2 1.5 pood, 2 2poo, 1 2.5 pood. i also have a set of rings and an abmat.

im thinking with the size of my garage that im moving into ill be able to do classes of 4 maybe 5 people, so what would my best bet be for getting more euquipment, i think i may have a 3 -4 grand budget for equipment.

next question is that there is already 5 or 6 affiliates in my city, (edmonton) is this too much to open my own garage gym with hopes of expanding in a few years when i get out of the military,

I have been doing crossfit as much as the military will allow me since 2008. i have my level one plus the running/endurance and gymnastic cert, and i have experience training soldiers with crossfit, is this enough experience to successfully run a box, i feel confidant in my abilities but would like some outside feedback

when you affiliate do you need a actual website or can you use a blog|(i realize this could be viewed as being cheap but im trying to get this thing running on a budget, as Zach Even-Esh says nuts and berries) just trying to figure out where the best place to save money is

for people running garage gyms, do you find you make much money with the low overhead and do you get tax deductions(the last part is clearly pointed at canadian garage gyms) i realize running an affiliate will not get me rich quick but being able to bring in some cash to pay of equipment and get some more stuff would be nice
Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Kristian Wolowidnyk

Profile:
Re: some questions about opening a garage gym

any other advice wouldbe greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Alex Keller

Profile:
Re: some questions about opening a garage gym

Kristian,

A lot of questions in there, so I am going to try to comment sequentially. First, solid set of equipment to start! I am not sure how much more expensive shipping/equipment is up there, but a few general comments for running 4-5 people on a budget:

You can share bars if you need to, but best case scenario would be to have 4-5 mens bars. Also, at least 1 training bar. For the 4-5 mens bars, I would suggest having 4-5 pairs of 10/25/45 lb bumpers (an equal number to the number of mens bars). For strength days, stock up on a few more 45s if you have the budget. Another pair or 2 of 10s doesn't hurt either.

Pull-up bars would be the next item - I typically like to have at least 1 position per person, but you can of course share if necessary. A couple med balls (20/14/10), extra set or 2 of rings, maybe 1/2 lighter KBs, a few plyos and some jump ropes and you would be good to go!

It's hard to say how many affiliates is too much, but I would think a major city can handle more than 5-6 affiliates. It just depends how close you are to the others and if you are able to differentiate yourself (quality of coaching, equipment, facility, community, etc).

Being a good or even a great trainer does not necessarily mean that you will be successful with a box. It is a business like any other and thus you have to be diligent about monitoring expenses, keeping a budget, managing numerous different aspects at once, etc.

Not sure about the other questions - but best of luck to you!