CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
Zenplanner

I've done my research, but some of the threads on the subject were a bit dated, and I wanted to see if anything has changed.

I use Rock Gym Pro, and really like it. However, I want to have this set up so if I'm gone, I can still see what's going on, bill, etc. The web base use is a big draw to me, as is the online back up.

I'm dreading needing to import all the info, but as the days pass, the list only gets longer.

Any pros, cons?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Eric McKinley

Profile:
Re: Zenplanner

Probably not helpful Brian, but we just decided(initial setup occurred at 2AM this morning) to go ZenPlanner and GMS for our membership software/billing. I'll try to post to this thread anything that seems to stick out for me, gotchas, helpful. No promises on anything that'll help, but hopefully it won't hurt.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

We are switching over soon as well, I'll also report back.

The 2-week free trial is great, I've gotten a lot of our back end stuff already populated, nearly all of our memberships and programs are in.

The interface is MUCH simpler than Mindbody...even the font size is better...it's like MBO was college type and Zenplanner is 6th grade. 6th grade is much easier.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Two of the larger, well run affiliates I talk with near us also had good things to use ZP.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I also use ZenPlanner - very easy to use, learn, enough features that you need and not a lot of stuff that you won't use. You can see who showed up, you can reserve classes, set up events, etc. Sometimes the credit card stuff is goofy (won't accept AMEXP) but otherwise I'm happy with it.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Ron Murray

Profile:

I have a love/mild disdain thing with ZP. I have been using it for about 13 months now. ZP is, for the most part, simple and easy to use. But this simplicity leads to some of the most mundane of tasks being wonky and convoluted. Some things are too easy in their development and therefore their features or procedures for simple things are rather difficult to pull off.

I am fixing at least one or two billing issues every month it seems. Multi-tab browsing/editing of members info/memberships etc. is a pain.

Overall, the system works and I give it a solid B. Interface needs some overhauling as many of the screens look wicked antiquated and the backend needs some tweaking to modernize the coding.

At any rate, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. Though I have zero experience with Rock Gym.

Last edited by Ron Murray; 08-22-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
I have a love/mild disdain thing with ZP. I have been using it for about 13 months now. ZP is, for the most part, simple and easy to use. But this simplicity leads to some of the most mundane of tasks being wonky and convoluted. Some things are too easy in their development and therefore their features or procedures for simple things are rather difficult to pull off.

I am fixing at least one or two billing issues every month it seems. Multi-tab browsing/editing of members info/memberships etc. is a pain.

Overall, the system works and I give it a solid B. Interface needs some overhauling as many of the screens look wicked antiquated and the backend needs some tweaking to modernize the coding.

At any rate, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. Though I have zero experience with Rock Gym.
Have you provided feedback to the ZP folks...products such as this should be open to hearing and potentially acting on feedback with bugs or anything that is not user friendly. I'd be interested to hear how they took your feedback and whether or not you have seen action or were at least promised that it'd be looked at.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Page Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Have you provided feedback to the ZP folks...products such as this should be open to hearing and potentially acting on feedback with bugs or anything that is not user friendly. I'd be interested to hear how they took your feedback and whether or not you have seen action or were at least promised that it'd be looked at.
I believe ZP would love to hear feedback. I have been extremely impressed with their customer service and technical support, and the rep I've worked with seemed very open to suggestions on improving the product. Obviously, the company needs to prioritize and plan its releases.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

We use ZP and I really like a lot of what they are doing.

They are responsive to feature requests, and seem to be striking a good balance between adding new features and refining old ones.

The system is a bit complicated, but I think all online systems like this will have a learning curve.

Overall, we're happy, and are probably only using a part of what we could with the system.

If you've got questions, ask them. If you find a problem, tell them. They're pretty responsive.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
My apologies for not touching on this aspect of the ZP product. I was responding in my "study" whilst on my phone and had some tunnel vision.

ZenPlanner's support is EXCELLENT and they have a very responsive request community. The efficacy level is above average from my understanding. As of yet, none of my feature enhancements/request have been implemented but that might be because they're horrible suggestions lol.

As for the issues I have, they have been resolved via support but a few of the solutions have been cumbersome and this leads back to where I started.

Regardless, I like the software enough and will continue to use it.