CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #1091
Brad Redinger

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Well all I had my last day of physical therapy today.

My "functionality" test was as followed.

Perform 30 reps of a single-leg leg press at my current body weight (200lbs). Both legs.
Single-leg Standing Long Jump - Three tries. Passing was performing at 90% or better on repaired leg.
Flexibility Measurement

The strength portion, no problems. I jumped 191.5cm (6.28ft) on my non-repaired leg and 194.25cm (6.37ft) on my repaired leg. My PT explained that she finds that it happens to some people that they over train their repaired leg and achieve over 100% on the test.

Flexibility still has some ways to go. I got 121 degrees flex today. My averages have been around 120-125. It's functional but I'd like to get to where I was at before.

It was a little test but nice to get an idea of where I'm at.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #1092
Rob Darden

Profile:

Well I am just over 3 weeks post op with bilateral ACL knee surgery. Everything has been going great till yesterday at PT. I told my PT the my left calf had been sore this past week and I was sent to a radiologist for an ultra sound for blood clots and it came back positive. I was then sent to the emergency room for a cat scan to see it they had moved north at all and the cat scan showed they had moved in to my lungs. I am now in ICU for a week on blood thinners being monitored 24/7. I was told when I get out of here I will be put on blood thinner treatment for 6 months. I am just glad it was caught some what early before things got really bad. Has anyone ever experience anything like this or know someone who has?

It sucks, but I understand it's all part of the game, I am just looking to move forward.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #1093
Jon Houle

Profile:

Wow Rob, that's tough. But at least you have a positive attitude to it all. As you said, it's a good thing they caught it before it was too late. Let's just say that there was an f!-up at my hospital for an unrelated issue and I'm now boasting a Lance Armstrong down below. Be fortunate that your hospital was proactive.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Just a piece of advice for blood thinners. My dad has been on them for many years due to a genetic heart condition. When you cut yourself you will likely bleed for a long time due to thin blood; be weary of this. You will also likely bruise easier and have deep muscle bruising lasting longer. Get friendly with packs of ice. Also, if you ever have a more severe injury (bleeding-wise that is) get it taken care of ASAP, as you will bleed much more then an average person.

Again, best of luck with the recovery and please let us know if any specific activity or daily routine likely caused the clotting. I haven't had my surgery yet (likely ACL and PCL) so I'm trying to get all the information I can.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #1094
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Houle View Post

Again, best of luck with the recovery and please let us know if any specific activity or daily routine likely caused the clotting. I haven't had my surgery yet (likely ACL and PCL) so I'm trying to get all the information I can.
Thanks!

The doctors have no explanation for the clots, other then the surgery its self. I was only inactive for two days after my surgery. After day 2 post op I got a CPM machine that I used 9 hours a day for a week and maxed out the range of motion on that on my third day of using it. When I was done using the CPM machine I was riding an exercise bike in my house 2 hours a day. I was walking with out crutches in week 2 post op. I also wore Skin compression tights for the first 2 weeks post op to help with circulation and swelling. Between all this I was going to PT 3 times a week. I was diagnosed with the clots by the end of week 3. So I did everything I could to keep moving and I still got the clots. It was just won of those freak things in the end.

So let the battle begin!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #1095
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Anyone have a recommendation about whether or not to wear a knee sleeve while first getting back into sports after ACL reconstruction? I am almost ready to get back on the field and was wondering if knee sleeves would provide any extra stability or relief.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1096
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
Anyone have a recommendation about whether or not to wear a knee sleeve while first getting back into sports after ACL reconstruction? I am almost ready to get back on the field and was wondering if knee sleeves would provide any extra stability or relief.
If it helps you go for it.

As long as your leg is strong again you're fine to go without it. Remember,m the repaired ACL is stronger than your other existing one by then. Most people have psychological barrier to getting back to activity though.

So thus if it comforts you then use it. If you can do without then dont waste your money.

Run it by your doc/PT though but I'm pretty sure they will say the same thing.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #1097
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If it helps you go for it.

Most people have psychological barrier to getting back to activity though.

So thus if it comforts you then use it. If you can do without then dont waste your money.

Run it by your doc/PT though but I'm pretty sure they will say the same thing.
The psychological barrier is the toughest to break through. Little by little you'll gain the comfort in your knee, but if you think the sleeve will help then by all means use it. It will give some additional support, but by this point the graft and your knee should be strong enough on its own.

But better safe than sorry, as some people like to say. My doctor will be custom fitting me for a brace to use when I get back into full-effort sports activity in a couple weeks, but I'm sure I'll stop using it after a little while. (As I did for my other surgery a couple years ago.)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #1098
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah,, if anything maybe a soft sleeve knee brace. Helps improve circulation (warms the area by keeping in your body heat) and provides some good proprioceptive feedback from sensory components much like kinesiotape does.

I wouldn't go with one of the big braces unless your doc or PT really insists or the sport you're getting back to has a lot of twisting/cutting right away
Old 11-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #1099
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

does it matter what the brand of the brace is? Would a brace from the local drug store be fine?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1100
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
does it matter what the brand of the brace is? Would a brace from the local drug store be fine?
Probably not. Check with your PT though. They may have certain ones they prefer