CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #901
Brad Redinger

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I'm officially one day post op! I had my first physical therapy session and my ROM was 0 to 85. I was a little upset about the 85, I wanted more, but They said that i was a great start and once the nerve block wears out and the staples are out It will only get better.

I'm on percocet and still my shin/tibia is KILLING me. it was tingling early but now it's like a throbbing burn. I mean, I guess someone DID bore a hole or something through it.

Hamstring is also, as expected, a little tender. I'm getting around on crutches, icing 3+ times a day and doing my exercises.

How did you guys feel immediately to a week post op? What did you do?
I felt good immediately to one week post op. I went with the less invasive allograft. I can tell you that the most painful thing I dealt with was the deep bruising that was in my calf and eventually made it's way to the surface. That by far was the most painful part.

Now, 10 weeks post op I feel great. I've been running for about three weeks now.

ROM will come back. I was forced to be 0 to 90 and 50% weight bearing for four weeks due to a medial meniscus repair. I hit 90 about 3 days after surgery.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I had many sleepless nights due to being hyped up on the pain meds. I was off of them around day 3 or so.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #902
Zane Jones

Profile:

Thanks everyone! I slept well last night and am having less pain this morning.

I should also mention that I had repairs to both my menisci.

I can't wait to start showing progress.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #903
Jon Gregory

Profile:

I had a hammie graft and the pain was OK but could go from nothing to severe in a heartbeat! Mainly when getting up from the sofa or whatever. I hardly used the morphine drip in the hospital and then only used panadeine forte. I mostly used the painkillers when going to bed. Ice is defo your best friend post op!! Ice ice and more ice!! I'd say the pain lasted about a week and it got less with every day. It would still occasionally hurt after a week but much more unusual and more a throb than the shooting pain of the first few days. Best of luck to you - my recon knee is actually stronger than the other one now!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #904
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

One note on ice...don't forget about it. After swelling goes down, your knee will still be sore sometimes. Be sure you ice because it really does miracles in making you feel better. I have had a crappy recovery and am getting arthroscopic surgery to take care of the scar tissue. My ROM is about 3-135. I can get 3 degrees after a substantial warm up, it would be about 8 from just sitting down.

Yeah, so keep icing!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #905
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
One note on ice...don't forget about it. After swelling goes down, your knee will still be sore sometimes. Be sure you ice because it really does miracles in making you feel better. I have had a crappy recovery and am getting arthroscopic surgery to take care of the scar tissue. My ROM is about 3-135. I can get 3 degrees after a substantial warm up, it would be about 8 from just sitting down.

Yeah, so keep icing!

Jared, I just read your whole blog. Thanks for taking the time to post that stuff, it makes a big difference to those people going through it.

My ortho didn't perscribe me a CPM, how valuable do you feel this machine was? I got a cryocuff from a friend of mine and pretty much keep it on all day.

Can you tell me a bit about what you did nutrition wise during recovery Jared?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #906
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Zane - thanks for reading! It has been a great outlet for me.

I think the CPM machine is good because it gave me some sort of structure to my day. I would use it in 2 hour blocks throughout the day. I also was not weight bearing for a month, so it is good to get the ROM back (not quite enough for me obviously).

I have actually gotten my diet most under control since getting hurt. I try to follow the paleo diet, but I am calling it paleo-ish. I have pretty much completely cut out sugar, except in fruit. Lots of meat. My only cheats are sushi and some beer one day on the weekend. Since doing this, I have dropped about 10 pounds since surgery. I also take fish oil.

The most frustrating part of this is that I feel that I gave this a lot of effort. Of course, now that I look back on parts of the recovery, I start to question how much effort really went into this? Like maybe I could have done quad sets instead of sitting on the couch for those two hours, but in hindsight, I think I did everything right.

I will definitely be updating the blog after my next surgery. If you have any more questions, let me know. I can talk about torn ACLs all day.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #907
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

I tore my acl playing basketball on July 21. MRI shows fully torn ACL and sprain in my LCL.
Meniscus and PCL seem to be fine,. I have my surgery next tuesday Sept 14. I need to come back 100%. Any advice on what to do not to do after surgery. Im a student and professors gave me two weeks off, but I cant miss more. How long on crutches? My orthopedic said I would be in a brace for 6 weeks, but I am reading here others are out of it much sooner
Old 09-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #908
Jon Gregory

Profile:

6 weeks!!??!! More like 6 days for me but that wasn't really recommended! I just hated the thing! Mind you, I had one of the cheapo braces that are super uncomfortable! You'll be mobile after a week but the brace is a good idea when you are at school or busy public places so people can see you are hurt and will hopefully be more careful! Also the brace will protect you from little knocks etc..
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #909
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh Mulani View Post
I tore my acl playing basketball on July 21. MRI shows fully torn ACL and sprain in my LCL.
Meniscus and PCL seem to be fine,. I have my surgery next tuesday Sept 14. I need to come back 100%. Any advice on what to do not to do after surgery. Im a student and professors gave me two weeks off, but I cant miss more. How long on crutches? My orthopedic said I would be in a brace for 6 weeks, but I am reading here others are out of it much sooner
I've been asking a lot of people how to get the best head start to my ACL rehab and these things seem coming up over and over again.

In order of importance.

1. ROM exercises
2. Quad/Ham/Calf Strength
3. When not doing 1 or 2, REST!
4. When doing #3, elevate and ice.
5. Stay positive!

So, far, I'm trying to limit my activity to those two positions, exercising and RICEing.

With aided effort, my ROM today was 0-101. 90 without.

Staying positive can be a struggle, I'm not accustomed to sitting on a couch all day and i find myself becoming irritated because I can't just go outside and PT. I just go back to telling myself that right now, being "lazy" is an important part of my PT.

I think it will get better once I can get on a bike or rower and push myself a little more. I'm only 5 days Post, not even a week.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #910
Hitesh Mulani

Profile:

i am so stressed out about this. Been doing therapy before surgery to strengthen my calfs,quads, and hamstrings. I am able to walk fine now, but surgery is next week. How bad is it? I hear people hate therapy after is it the fact that its boring, or is it the pain and ability to not do certain things. I need best advice to come back 100% if not stronger. I hear patellar tendon is stronger than a original acl. Does the area where they take the graft from heal?
Like the patellar tendon, will it like regrow, or will i always have a piece out for rest of my life?