CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #821
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevag Garabedian View Post
I had my ACL surgery August of 08, so I am fully recovered. Yesterday I twisted my knee and had some immediate pain in my knee. I immediately iced it and hoped for the best. I woke up this morning with NO swelling, but pain on the inside of my knee. Its not too much pain since I can walk on it no problem, but when i touch it, it feels like a bad bruise. It's also a bit painful when i bend the knee. Heres hoping I didnt tear my ACL again, what do you guys think??
You should see a doc if you're that concerned.

IF it goes unstable then I would definitely get it checked.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #822
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Schreiber View Post
Hey Jared! Just checked out your blog! Awesome! It really DOES help to see someone else's progress and to know that this hell really will end!!!

I had ACL reconstruction done in NYC in 1999. I will never forget the subway rides to my rehab!!! OMG.

GO JARED!!!!
Compression is more important than the ice for the swelling.

Can you do ankle/toe movements without it hurting on the affected leg? If so, may be a good idea to start trying to stave off the atrophy/
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #823
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

I am in day 12 of recovery from ACL reconstruction, miniscus cutting and microfracture surgery.

I have done a pretty good job of keeping all pressure off of my leg except for driving. I spoke with a lot of people who said driving shouldn't be an issue as long as I use the left leg for the brake.

I was concerned that I had totally messed up the microfracture healing by putting even that kind of pressure on my leg. However, I was told that I would know it. I would have pain or swelling if I had dislodged "it". I have had neither.

I call my knee "KneeZilla" And a friend sent me the wonder woman bracelet which I will wear through rehab.

Although crutches are a great upper body WOD, my left leg and I are exhausted. So I got me a wheelchair.

I am doing everything I can to prevent atrophy but every day I pull my brace straps tighter, because my leg is getting smaller every day. I guess it will be like that until I put pressure on it again.

This sucks. Nobody can say it doesn't. But you gotta get through it with as much fortitude as possible. KneeZilla and Wonder Woman will make it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelchair comp.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	6460  
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #824
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Might as well chime in my status as well...

Having my second ACL reconstruction surgery in a period of 2 years.

Tore my right ACL (no damage to meniscus or other ligaments) September 2008 with surgery taking place in October 2008 (hamstring tendon autograft). My ROM hit a plateau in March 2009 and I stopped going to my physical therapist. Continued doing strength and balance exercises on my own in the gym.

To this day, I am still missing 2 to 3 degrees ROM in extension and at least 15 degrees ROM in flexion. I experience pain behind my knee when pushing too far in flexion. I have had multiple MRI's and MRI's with contrast dye with no findings.

I have, however, been able to return to nearly full strength and do not hesitate in movement.

That is, until I tore my left ACL and medial meniscus just before Memorial Day weekend. I will be having left ACL reconstruction (achilles tendon allograft) and my meniscus to be sutured on 6/16.

This time, however, I have chosen a much more well qualified surgeon who actually informed me that he had stopped using the technique used for my right ACL reconstruction about 3 years ago.

Hopefully my recovery is faster and less painful for my left knee than it was for my right knee.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #825
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

I am two months and a week post-op for ACL and meniscus repair. I am finally walking without a cane inside and use a cane outside when I use public transportation. I live in NYC and know that most people will run me over if I am walking slowly.

I felt a huge jump this weekend in feeling more comfortable walking. I am pretty sure it was all mental, but my knee wasn't feeling that bad. I have a slight limp and am almost completely straight.

I am continuing my crossfit training. I do a ton of pullups, situps, ring dips and one legged rows. I did a good WOD today that took me 14 minutes. 3 rounds AMRAP of 14 pushups, 14 ring dips and 500M row. I try to work the same body parts that the other people at my gym are doing and scale it to where I am comfortable. I have added air squats to some of my workouts, but stop at 90 degrees. Overall, it is pretty frustrating to not be able to do most of the work, but I do what I can do without compromising my recovery.

I highly recommend being as active as you can when you are recuperating from surgery. It helps you physically, but mostly mentally. I lost a lot of muscle during my first month and a week post-op while I was pretty much laying around. I went from 163 to 148, so I am working now to build myself back to where I was.

I can ramble forever on all this, but respond and we can discuss more!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #826
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Jared, as soon as I get the go ahead, I am going to do those kinds of wods. Glad you made a jump this weekend!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #827
Kel Wright

Profile:

Hey Guys I'm right at one year since my ACL surgery. I'm still experiencing some stiffness. Is this normal? Is it scar tissue?. Its kind of nagging..thanks guys
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #828
Mike Kelley

Profile:

do you foam roll, stretch, massage?

I'm almost 2 years out now and have no stiffness...didn't have any 1 year out either. I'd say I owe it all to properly warming up now with foam rolling and mobility.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #829
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

I am 2.5 months out now and I was wondering the following.

When did you start jogging? sprinting?
When did you start doing deadlifts? cleans? weighted squats? other bar exercises that required standing?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #830
Trey Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
I am 2.5 months out now and I was wondering the following.

When did you start jogging? sprinting?
When did you start doing deadlifts? cleans? weighted squats? other bar exercises that required standing?

Thanks.
I'm exactly 6 months out now and I've gently eased back into the oly lifts over the last 3 months or so. I was cleared for jogging at 4 months, sprinting at 5 months, and now I have the all clear.