CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #811
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Hey Steven. I saw your post on FB too.

My docs are saying my legs are strong, let's go get this done.

I am hoping to do it next week. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

I'm open to anything you have to say! I had it done on my left knee, but on that, they took my own tendon and the recovery from THAT part was awful. This time, cadaver. I'm good with that.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #812
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Schreiber View Post
Hey Steven. I saw your post on FB too.

My docs are saying my legs are strong, let's go get this done.

I am hoping to do it next week. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

I'm open to anything you have to say! I had it done on my left knee, but on that, they took my own tendon and the recovery from THAT part was awful. This time, cadaver. I'm good with that.

Thanks!
They have some "newer" surgeries (aka not ubiquitous yet) where they would take opposite patellar tendon. Obviously, this would speed up recovery because you don't have to worry about your knee....

But on the other hand, you're one of the people who had the other need done with that patellar already. So obviously this wouldn't work, hah.

Regardless, depending on the damage you've done before if you can you should do as much strengthening as possible right before you go into the surgery.

Also, really get the compression and anti-inflams (fish oil and NSAIDs will do) afterwards. Faster the inflammation/edema goes down, the more significantly faster your healing is. It's really that important...

Obviously, getting the quads active right off the bat to stave off atrophy is extremely important. Be ready to do isometric work with that leg even a couple days off of surgery and get the movement going if possible without too much pain.

But I'm sure you have good PTs so you can listen to them.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #813
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Thanks Steve.
Now we are not sure if we need to wait until July. Yuck.

I am going to have cadaver tissue if I stay with this one doc. I appreciate your input, believe me. Want to get this done right so it stays strong and happy!

We want a happy knee!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #814
Cliff Kinney

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Steve.
Now we are not sure if we need to wait until July. Yuck.

I am going to have cadaver tissue if I stay with this one doc. I appreciate your input, believe me. Want to get this done right so it stays strong and happy!

We want a happy knee!
I was in a similar situation, but only made it 6 years after the ACL tear before things went haywire. ACL repair was straight-forward, did hamstring graft. Doctor cut some meniscus, tried to save some. I am 5 months post-op, and still don't know if meniscus is OK, or will need to be further trimmed. I rushed my rehab and at 3 months was nearly back on crutches. My advise is to take it slow. The ACL repair is the easy part, the meniscus is tricky. Also, I was offered a femoral nerve block as part of the anesthesia and it was awesome. It cut down on the post-op hangover significantly.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #815
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

This was right after surgery. They had to cut some mangled miniscus, and unfortunately, found that there was a section entirely missing the cartilege. Did I spell that right? So they drilled the bone allowing blood in to create a kind of 'ersatz' cartilige?

Dudes. I was hoping to be off crutches in 2 weeks. Now it's 6. So.. time to get used to it. Sigh.

E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after comp.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	6416  
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #816
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
This was right after surgery. They had to cut some mangled miniscus, and unfortunately, found that there was a section entirely missing the cartilege. Did I spell that right? So they drilled the bone allowing blood in to create a kind of 'ersatz' cartilige?

Dudes. I was hoping to be off crutches in 2 weeks. Now it's 6. So.. time to get used to it. Sigh.

E
Makeshift microfracture surgery, eh?

Hit up the fish oil...
Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #817
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Quote:

E
I had acl reconstruction surgery almost two months ago. I had to be non weight bearing for 4 weeks. It was tough because I was used to being active every day. Be sure to get out of the house and get around. Now I am finally walking a little better, but still using a cane. If you have any questions, let me know. I have been through lots of ups and many more downs. I hope it goes well.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #818
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Thanks Steve and Jared.

It's day four and I have been up and about quite a LOT because I have had minimal pain. I am not putting weight on my knee but have been active and walking. Now my leg is swollen so.. the ice machine and nothing.

You guys. I'm going to go effin postal. Jared, I hear you. This is so hard. So very, very, very, very hard.

Sigh.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #819
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Hey Jared! Just checked out your blog! Awesome! It really DOES help to see someone else's progress and to know that this hell really will end!!!

I had ACL reconstruction done in NYC in 1999. I will never forget the subway rides to my rehab!!! OMG.

GO JARED!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #820
Sevag Garabedian

Profile:

I had my ACL surgery August of 08, so I am fully recovered. Yesterday I twisted my knee and had some immediate pain in my knee. I immediately iced it and hoped for the best. I woke up this morning with NO swelling, but pain on the inside of my knee. Its not too much pain since I can walk on it no problem, but when i touch it, it feels like a bad bruise. It's also a bit painful when i bend the knee. Heres hoping I didnt tear my ACL again, what do you guys think??