CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #801
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Kandula View Post
I had my sx (left patellar graft) on Mar 6- it is 8 weeks now (my menisucs was not affected

- able to walk fine
- flexion is 140 degree
- extension 1-2 degree less than normal leg
- my thigh circumference is up to about 1/2 (from about 1/3) of the normal leg
- no problem walking
- still not running
- am able to cycle (stationory bike)
- swelling and pain are not that big an issue.. still icing 2/day...
- for the last 1-2 week am able to sleep well with out any problem rolling in the bed and also I dont have to use pillows between my knees to avoid pressure on the left knee.

Currenly, I am done with my 12 Physio visits.. I am supposed to call my Physitherapist after 4 weeks ..
- I am doing Leg strenght building/balance work out 3 x per week..on alternate days I work on my upper body..

I am told I can run and bike in another 4-5 weeks..

so far looks like all is well..
more later...
Wow, very nice progress.

Keep it up.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #802
Jason Harper

Profile:

30 yrs old, second right knee ACL reconstruction was completed yesterday using hamstring auto-graph. First ACL reconstruction was done using patellar auto-graph ten years ago. I'm already off the crutches and doing a serious of leg lifts to get/keep my strength up. I don't have a follow up with the Doc until the 20th and I do not have PT scheduled yet. I hope I don't have to wait until the 20th to start PT, seems like a waste of almost two weeks.

Glad to see this thread and compare my post-op results/experiences with others.

Thanks...

Jay
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #803
Rob Darden

Profile:

So I just found out that I have torn my right ACL and my medial meniscus, also bruised the bone. My season has just started and goes till October/November. My plan is to get a knee brace from CTI, finish out my season and get surgery after my last event. I am going to spend the next 6 months building as much muscle as possible in that time for a better recovery.

I just wanted to get some ideas on some leg workouts that will hit the hamstrings hard without injuring my knee anymore. I am hoping to be able to squat and deadlift again. I am obviously going to ease my way back in to things to see what is possible. Some other thoughts are weighted lunges, weighted step ups and sled pulls. What do you guy's think?

I'll keep you guy's updated on my progress.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #804
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Hi. I haven't had an ACL in my right knee for over 20 years. It took CrossFit to jack the knee to the point where all other parts have rebelled, torn, stretched, rubbed or simply said no more.

I'm looking at ACL reconstruction and possible miniscus repair, although it may be too far gone.

I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee and understand the recovery.

I'm not "happy" to see all of you here, just glad not to go through this downtime alone.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #805
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
So I just found out that I have torn my right ACL and my medial meniscus, also bruised the bone. My season has just started and goes till October/November. My plan is to get a knee brace from CTI, finish out my season and get surgery after my last event. I am going to spend the next 6 months building as much muscle as possible in that time for a better recovery.

I just wanted to get some ideas on some leg workouts that will hit the hamstrings hard without injuring my knee anymore. I am hoping to be able to squat and deadlift again. I am obviously going to ease my way back in to things to see what is possible. Some other thoughts are weighted lunges, weighted step ups and sled pulls. What do you guy's think?

I'll keep you guy's updated on my progress.
Your torn meniscus is allowing you to keep operating?

Sometimes if the fragments get out of place and such your knee will just lock and you get extremely bad pain....

Re: hamstrings

Far stepping lunges work well.

What can do you do with the core lifts that aren't painful?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #806
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Schreiber View Post
Hi. I haven't had an ACL in my right knee for over 20 years. It took CrossFit to jack the knee to the point where all other parts have rebelled, torn, stretched, rubbed or simply said no more.

I'm looking at ACL reconstruction and possible miniscus repair, although it may be too far gone.

I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee and understand the recovery.

I'm not "happy" to see all of you here, just glad not to go through this downtime alone.
You doing any pre surgery PT?

When's your surgery?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #807
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Your torn meniscus is allowing you to keep operating?

Sometimes if the fragments get out of place and such your knee will just lock and you get extremely bad pain....

Re: hamstrings

Far stepping lunges work well.

What can do you do with the core lifts that aren't painful?
Steven,

It has been just over two weeks since my accident, I still don't have full ROM yet and there is still some swelling on my knee. I have not done any core lifts yet, I did do some step ups the other day on a 18 inch box and those felt pretty good. Like I said I am going to ease my way back in to things to see what is possible cause of my meniscus. If my meniscus acts up and is giving me to many problems once I get full ROM back, i'll just go ahead and get surgery.

Question. I can't straighten my leg all the way yet, I can get it to the point right before it locks out, which means I can't really flex my quad. I was wondering what causes this? Is it my meniscus that is getting in the way? Or is it the muscles? Would foam rolling help? Or trying to flex the quad muscle and hold for say 10 seconds for X amount of sets to break that barrier?

I am still icing through out the day and at night.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #808
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Question. I can't straighten my leg all the way yet, I can get it to the point right before it locks out, which means I can't really flex my quad. I was wondering what causes this? Is it my meniscus that is getting in the way? Or is it the muscles? Would foam rolling help? Or trying to flex the quad muscle and hold for say 10 seconds for X amount of sets to break that barrier?
Well, once the ACL tears or is traumatized, there is nothing holding the knee stable from moving anteriorly except the hamstring. So the hamstring tightens up substantially so that the lower leg doesn't dislocate anteriorly.

Since tight hamstring impede you from straightening your knee it is likely that your hamstrings are locked up and tight right now. Unless it's painful inside the joint, then it's probably not meniscus.

Foam rolling hamstrings may help as well as massage. Flexing the quad for reciprocal inhibition may work to help deactivate the hamstrings as well.

With ACL tear, the quad definitely atrophies a lot whlie the hamstrings tighten up. So you're really going to have to strengthen the quads a lot, and try to loosen up your hamstrings some. After your quads start to get stronger, try to strengthen quads/hamstrings is equal amounts.

Ice will help some, but really ice only if it helps. But you really need to get compression, anti-inflams like NSAIDs and fish oil are fine to help get swelling down. Compression and fish oil I would obviously prefer but when there's excessive edema adding NSAIDs to the combo are not a bad choice either. These 2-3 things are MUSTS. Ice is optional.

Last edited by Steven Low; 05-15-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #809
Jared Walkowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Well, once the ACL tears or is traumatized, there is nothing holding the knee stable from moving anteriorly except the hamstring. So the hamstring tightens up substantially so that the lower leg doesn't dislocate anteriorly.

Since tight hamstring impede you from straightening your knee it is likely that your hamstrings are locked up and tight right now. Unless it's painful inside the joint, then it's probably not meniscus.

Foam rolling hamstrings may help as well as massage. Flexing the quad for reciprocal inhibition may work to help deactivate the hamstrings as well.

With ACL tear, the quad definitely atrophies a lot whlie the hamstrings tighten up. So you're really going to have to strengthen the quads a lot, and try to loosen up your hamstrings some. After your quads start to get stronger, try to strengthen quads/hamstrings is equal amounts.

Ice will help some, but really ice only if it helps. But you really need to get compression, anti-inflams like NSAIDs and fish oil are fine to help get swelling down. Compression and fish oil I would obviously prefer but when there's excessive edema adding NSAIDs to the combo are not a bad choice either. These 2-3 things are MUSTS. Ice is optional.
This is something I was coming on here to ask...

I am about a month and a half out of my ACL Reconstruction and meniscus repair. I am still a couple degrees off in my extension. Is this normal to not have full extension at this point? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #810
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Walkowitz View Post
This is something I was coming on here to ask...

I am about a month and a half out of my ACL Reconstruction and meniscus repair. I am still a couple degrees off in my extension. Is this normal to not have full extension at this point? Thanks.
Depends on the person. If you have tight hammies then sure.

Keep stretching it out.

The other key is do you have full extension on the other leg? Some people don't get "full extension" because their bones are off a bit. I don't really get full extension and I don't have an injury so you may be in this category too.