CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Chemicals and PVC Pipe (Slosh Pipe Construction Related)

I bought a 4"x10' pipe and two caps for it, thinking we had PVC primer and cement at home. We didn't. I tried a few different methods of securing the caps, all of which failed gloriously and wasted a splendid amount of time. So, I went back and got PVC primer and cement. I've got some questions I could use help with.

I just capped the first end.

1. The instructions said to insert the pipe into the fitting with a 1/4 turning motion. I was entirely unable to turn the cap as I slid it on. Is this a severe problem? I assume the purpose of turning the cap would be to smear the glue to a solid coat as connecting the parts, but I did apply the glue very thoroughly, so will this be an issue?
2. Damn, those glues smell. This isn't a question, just a statement.

I know that the caps will be set permanently, so once the second one is on, it's a done deal. Since the water cannot be removed, I need something in there to prevent it from freezing in the winter, and something to prevent something funky from growing in there.

3. Does anyone know if mixing bleach and antifreeze will cause something terrible to happen? (eg. one of the chemicals becomes ineffective, the apocalypse occurs, or Rippetoe declares barbells to be an ineffective training tool)
4. Does anyone know if the antifreeze/bleach will have an effect on the glue?

Either awesome knowledge of chemistry or plain experience in slosh pipe making is great by me. Thanks in advance!

By the way, here's a test I gave the pipe prior to one of the caps leaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gv5U7bnvRI (WFS)
The heaviest 45lbs I've ever lifted. I couldn't even get my hands under it to press that thing.

Take care,
Patrick D.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Chemicals and PVC Pipe (Slosh Pipe Construction Related)

I would just use antifreeze and water.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Yeah, I'd lose the bleach. I don't see any real reason for it. 30-70 AF/water (just a guess) sounds about right depending on your winters.

As for the anti-freeze and pvc cement. There's no way the two should really touch. From my experience that stuff is actually a weld and the chemicals become part of the pvc.

If you wanted to be extra cautious you could do one end, let it dry for a while, put in the water, and keep it standing on end while the top one dries.

Put some pvc cement on the ground and add a tiny amount of anti-freeze if you really want to know. A tiny bit of each can't hurt. If you see a POOF! don't do it.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Good point. The anti-freeze ought to be enough to stop funky stuff from growing in there.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Ajay Handa

Profile:

If you want to avoid using the cement (though it should work out fine), you can use rubber caps...like this one...wfs

http://www.futuregarden.com/cgi-bin/shop/70-1125.html

I bought my 4" PVC pipe with 2 4" rubber caps from Lowes (I'm sure Home Depot has them as well) and it has worked out perfectly...I can easily remove one or both caps if I want to add, remove, or change the water...

I would also leave the bleach out of your "recipe"...you're not likely to get either bacterial or fungal growth in a weak antifreeze solution...

Cheers
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Handa View Post
Well, crap. I wish I had known about those things before. They even cost less than the PVC caps. Oh well. I've cemented on my caps now (after mixing only anti-freeze into the water), so the deal is done. It seems to be water-tight, but I'll report back after some use.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

I've used the (somewhat cheaper) Home Depot version for about a year now.

No leaks. Didn't even bother with anti-freeze, just changed the water every couple of weeks and left it in the garage.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90015+528127 (safe link)
Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

The second cap didn't work very well. There was a large amount of glue residue on the pipe from previous attempts, so I spent about 20 minutes scraping and sanding that down. After cleaning it, I used the PVC cement. It wasn't clean enough. Luckily, a little hot glue-gun work patched up the sections that were leaking, and it seems to be holding solidly now. However, I have a feeling that it will start to leak again after some use. When that happens, I'll cut off that end and replace it with one of those rubber caps. I wish I had known about those before.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

Please be sure to use non toxic (pink) antifreeze.

Should your pipe break and spill, there is no way that you could recover all of the toxic anti-freeze. And if a pet finds, the pet WILL driink it (it's sweet) and will die a very painful death.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Matthew Barrett

Profile:

well from a chemical point of view, bleach, if i remember correctly is mostly hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidiser, and traditional antifreeze is ethylene glycol, so potentially there will be oxidation of the hydrogen peroxide to water, so it would be pointless to have it in there. if you are worried about bugs put a few drops of eucalyptus oil into it, will keep most things away.

Now chemistry is the last thing i want to think about now, (just fininished the semester) but i hope that helps.