CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Thomas Ramsland

Profile:
ROGUE HG Bumper Plates

I don't know how long Rogue has had the HG bumoers out for now but I like 'em. I own the Rogue Hi-Temp 45's and 25's but does anyone here have any feedback on the HG bumpers? I like the fact they have 55 lb plates too. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Scott Stevens

Profile:
Re: ROGUE HG Bumper Plates

Welcome aboard. This thread has all the info you could need and more:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=52418 (WFS)
Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Thomas Ramsland

Profile:

Thanks Scott. That helps a lot.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ramsland View Post
I don't know how long Rogue has had the HG bumoers out for now but I like 'em. I own the Rogue Hi-Temp 45's and 25's but does anyone here have any feedback on the HG bumpers? I like the fact they have 55 lb plates too. Thanks in advance.
I have the HG bumpers and I love them to death. I don't foresee the need for any other plates than these anytime soon.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Matt Payne

Profile:

I have them also and could not be more happy with them.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ramsland View Post
Hi Thomas,

As you no doubt know, bumper plate preferences can be quite personal. I have both the Hi-Temps and the HGs. I prefer the Hi-Temps to the HGs, but that varies by individual for sure.

Since you already have some Hi-Temp plates, any particular reason why you would want to switch now and get the HGs?

I would think you would just purchase pairs of Hi-Temp 10s, 15s, and 35s and call it good. If you need more weight, you can get some more 45s...

I don't think anyone will argue that the HGs are BETTER than the Hi-Temps, at least with respect to durability. The only things the HGs offer over the Hi-Temps are (i) competition width so you can get more than 400 lbs on the bar (which I can't imagine is a big deal for anything other than deadlifts and/or squats - and only if you are already quite strong - but can be easily rectified with a couple of iron 45 lb plates), and possibly (ii) the existence of 55 lb plates.

This is not to take away pride of ownership from anyone who has chosen the HGs, as there is absolutely nothing wrong with them as your primary lifting plates. It is just a bit of a challenge to the idea that IF you already have Hi-Temp plates, there is anything to be gained by switching over to the HGs.

In any event, do whatever strikes your fancy. However, I would argue that having a mix of plates might well be more of a pain than any perceived advantages of having the HG plates...

Just my $0.02 for whatever it is worth...

Regards,
brittf
Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
Hi Thomas,

As you no doubt know, bumper plate preferences can be quite personal. I have both the Hi-Temps and the HGs. I prefer the Hi-Temps to the HGs, but that varies by individual for sure.

Since you already have some Hi-Temp plates, any particular reason why you would want to switch now and get the HGs?

I would think you would just purchase pairs of Hi-Temp 10s, 15s, and 35s and call it good. If you need more weight, you can get some more 45s...

I don't think anyone will argue that the HGs are BETTER than the Hi-Temps, at least with respect to durability. The only things the HGs offer over the Hi-Temps are (i) competition width so you can get more than 400 lbs on the bar (which I can't imagine is a big deal for anything other than deadlifts and/or squats - and only if you are already quite strong - but can be easily rectified with a couple of iron 45 lb plates), and possibly (ii) the existence of 55 lb plates.

This is not to take away pride of ownership from anyone who has chosen the HGs, as there is absolutely nothing wrong with them as your primary lifting plates. It is just a bit of a challenge to the idea that IF you already have Hi-Temp plates, there is anything to be gained by switching over to the HGs.

In any event, do whatever strikes your fancy. However, I would argue that having a mix of plates might well be more of a pain than any perceived advantages of having the HG plates...

Just my $0.02 for whatever it is worth...

Regards,
brittf
In your other post, you stated that you had a Hi-Temp that was 12% off. That's my argument as to why HG's are better, if only marginally. If something isn't somewhat accurate, I don't particularly care how durable it is.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis H. Poulin II View Post
In your other post, you stated that you had a Hi-Temp that was 12% off. That's my argument as to why HG's are better, if only marginally. If something isn't somewhat accurate, I don't particularly care how durable it is.
Hi Louis,

You make a legitimate argument. I would say that the Hi-Temps were pretty good in general, EXCEPT for one of the 45 lb plates and then the 10 lb plates. However, they WERE off by that amount, so I completely understand where you are coming from.

I would posit that the question of whether to INITIALLY purchase Hi-Temps or HGs is different than whether or not to SWITCH from the Hi-Temps to the HGs. There are clearly tradeoffs between the Hi-Temps and the HGs, so a discerning purchaser might make either initial choice. However, once the initial choice has been made, I don't see a convincing argument for switching from one to another. What do you think?

Bill Henniger of Rogue has decided to measure every Rogue Hi-Temp to ensure its accuracy before shipment to the end customer. He also told me that he has had extensive discussions with the owner of Hi-Temp regarding the weight issue (as a direct result of the threads on this board).

So, IF Rogue and Hi-Temp ensure the weight accuracy of the plates, THEN I am comfortable with my basic position that I prefer the Hi-Temps to the HGs.

Again, your point is a good one and well-taken... I suspect that Bill might reply to this thread and discuss how he has taken steps to ensure that the Rogue Hi-Temps will be held to a high accuracy standard...

All the best,
brittf
Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

First the HG plates are great training grade plates that have comp thickness, good weight variance and sweet hand grenades on them. They are the MHTY type bumpers and the variance that the HG bumpers have is shared by all others.

The Rogue HiTemp bumpers are first and foremost our best bumper for durability. The fact that the 10-15LB variants can take a serious beating makes them ideal for complete sets. With CrossFit many of the WODs require lower weight high rep elements and the bars are always dropped. Many will say you shouldn't drop the bar and I would agree that there is a bar etiquette that should be adhered to for safety reasons. That being said bars get dropped and these plates will take some serious reps against concrete. The way the hub is formed around the recycled rubber makes them ideal for repeated beatings. The recycled rubber will react differently to stress, they already have 100K miles on them.

I work with Chuck Rumbley weekly to hone the quality of the bumpers. His plant has seen such a huge spike in growth that his standardization needed some work. Every single plate is now weighed for all raw materials prior to press and then weighed again after press.

Within the next week we will announce a guarantee on all Rogue HiTemp plates for specified variance levels that will meet or exceed industry standard for training grade plates. I don't take things like this lightly so before I sign my name in blood I will make sure he is capable. In the meantime we have implemented very strict quality standards on these plates.

Assigning a percentage to a plate with variance doesn't really work, it should actually be the weight itself. For example the MHTY type bumpers vary up to .45LBS so that would mean 3% on a 15 and .08% on a 55.

We are quietly meeting our new standard and will soon offer a guarantee. We are also working on the first ever Color KG Rogue HiTemps, every single plate will be weighed 3 times prior to seeing a box and tape.

I run a gym so I understand and take weight variance very seriously, we are not sitting idle and/or accepting defeat. It is much more difficult to manage but we have found ways to increase the probability of low weight variance based on all kinds of studies.

The folks in Alabama have made this priority number one, rest assured the plates getting manufactured today are better than the plates yesterday. Quality control measures and improvements occur daily. Rogue is standing shoulder to shoulder with HiTemp to make this a better product. The cost of the plate is substantially more than all other plates manufactured overseas.

When someone calls me and asks I always say for durability and complete set, the choice is HiTemp. On the other hand if comp thickness is the desired attribute then the HG plates are the way to go, that is why we are offering them.

So hopefully that helps but in short 12% variance was never an acceptable amount and that plate would be replaced and a new plate shipped within 24 hours for any customer.

I think these discussions are great because in the end the product always becomes better. We listen and we respond.

Bill
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Thomas Ramsland

Profile:

Thanks everyone for your input. Any idea when the colored, Kilo or pound, Hi-temps will be available?