CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Jim Reaume

Profile:
Very frustrated

I have had nagging left lateral calf pain for about 3 weeks now. It's way worse in the morning, but it's bad enough that I can't run or jump at all. I have been to the doc and massage therapist. I was told it was a soleus strain, but it's not getting better. I have been aggressively rolling, stretching, icing, etc...Maybe I'm just venting, but I need any suggestions. I hate going this long without WODing.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Very frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reaume View Post
I have had nagging left lateral calf pain for about 3 weeks now. It's way worse in the morning, but it's bad enough that I can't run or jump at all. I have been to the doc and massage therapist. I was told it was a soleus strain, but it's not getting better. I have been aggressively rolling, stretching, icing, etc...Maybe I'm just venting, but I need any suggestions. I hate going this long without WODing.
Strains can take awhile to heal. The fact that it's a muscle you use all the time when walking means it's very hard to give it the rest that muscle injuries usually need.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Did you have a sudden event that would cause a rip or strain
Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Jim Reaume

Profile:

I think I did not recover well enough after the CF Open WOD with the many many boxjumps...then had another WOD with high box jumps a few days later. I hate the pain. It's way worse in the morning.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Could be one of several things. Does it feel like you've got pain in the muscle belly (thick part of the muscle) or pain on the achilles tendon? (thick ropy tendon that comes up from your heel bone).

At this point it doesn't seem like just a regular tendonitis as that would have gone away by now. It's most likely some sort of tendinopathy if I had to guess.

That basically means the tendon starts growing abnormally due to the stress it receives (i.e. from box jumps, running and double unders). Over time you may have gotten to a critical point where you start experiencing pain. Healing this issue has a few steps.

1) Unload - Take out the offending exercises. Modify where you need to. At this point the tendon needs some time off.

2) Reload - Eccentric exercises are the standard treatment for tendinopathy therapy at this point. Good old heel lifts. Up with two legs, down with one. Add weight as you can. 2-3 times per week for up to 10-12 weeks. (It can take 6 weeks or more for the pain to start to subside)

3) Prevent - Figure out what caused this pain in the first place. I wrote a pretty extensive list of modifications and reasons people can develop these issues in the article below.

Evidence based treatment of achilles tendinopathy

Podcast discussing treatment and modifications to prevent and treat tendinopathy and achilles rupture.

Get back to us and let us know how things are going. Hang in there!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Jim Reaume

Profile:

Thanks Daniel. It hurts more laterally(fibula/soleus area) and I've seen spotty bruising there especially after trying to stretch/roll it out. I've been wearing a compression sleeve and taking anti inflammatory meds for a while now. I will take your advice and see what happens
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I heard an endurance coach say that for overuse injuries to heal, you should limit activity (zero use of painful body part for exercise) until two weeks AFTER the pain is gone. Wait for it to stop hurting, then don't get back to using it for another two weeks.

Using anti-inflammatory meds may make the pain go away while there is still damage/injury present. Don't use the meds just to work through the pain.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Jim Reaume

Profile:

That makes sense Christopher. I haven't Wod'd in the past three weeks.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Good stuff Jim. I'd be careful with the ibu proven though. If you have a chronic issue(been developing over a long period of time) like tendinopathy then anti-inflammatories may decrease the healing process.