CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Gregory S. Ellis

Profile:  
Has anyone used CortiSlim with any good or bad results along with doing the program ???
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Gregory,

Welcome to Crossfit!

Never used Cortislim before, but I'm guessing the same goals you're shooting for can be obtained through a proper diet (and you'll have no negative side effects). FWIW, I was talking with a hair stylist yesterday and she mentioned that she had a heavy outbreak of acne in conjunction with Cortislim usage (not that she's a Crossfitter - yet).

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 11-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
The point of cortislim is to minimize stress, so my guess it that you can achieve this without supplementation.

There's a small blurb on cortislim on quackwatch.org
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Aren't you the guy who wrote "Ultimate Diet Secrets"?

-Kevin
Old 11-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Funny story about stress. Monday was a crapload of a day for me. Slightly weary from a Sunday of too much football watching and fun; bad day at work; had to run around with the kids to various places; got a phone call about a meeting I couldn't go to where I was getting slammed; just an overall cluster you-know-what! I felt like crap.
So, I go to the gym to do the WOD. Monday was Fran (for me, I was a day late). I go in, warm up and pound out Fran in under 10 minutes, cutting almost 5 min off my previous effort.
Came out of the gym exhausted, feeling GREAT! Forgot what was bugging me when I went in.
Moral of this story, I lowered my cortisol levels through strenuous exercise, hitting several different delivery systems, and by genreally kicking @$$!
I'd save my money on the Cortislim (it's about $45 a bottle, no?) and punish the WOD!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Kevin:

Check out Mr. Ellis's profile. I think it's just a coincidence of names.

Gregory: Welcome to CrossFit! At some point when I was younger, I was a sucker for just about any weight-loss supplement that came along. If CortiSlim had been around in those days, I'm sure I would have wasted money on that, too.

CrossFit and a Zone-based diet will do a better job of normalizing your weight than any supplement. (Too bad CF is so hard, but if it was easy, everyone would do it.)

Best of luck,
Dave
Old 11-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Best thing you can do to lower cortisol, apart from a healthy zone style diet and lowering stresses, is to drop the caffeine from your diet.... this will very significantly reduce adrenal output. A couple of cups of morning coffee can raise cortisol by 30-40% for the rest of the day and exaggerate the adrenal response to exercise.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Paul, take it back! You DID NOT say that (pause for a sip of coffee). I'm sure it's true, but. . .I ain't quitting. Ironicly, there is research to suggest coffee prior to exercise accelerates fat metabolism (the whole reason people take cortislim in the first place), Dan John said so and I choose to believe him, partley because it fits neatly into my lifestyle (wakeup, drink coffee (laced with 3g creatine), get on crossfit.com, workout). Gregory, prior to trying any suppliments you need to optimize every other aspect of training and diet.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
Tom Shook

Profile:

High Intensity workouts (Ie CF) help to eliminate excess stress hormones in the blood stream, and also produce hormones (endorphins for example) that stimulate a sense of well being and even euphoria, therefore reducing your percieved stress level, and inhibiting further secretion of stress hormones. The moral of the story is this: Eat right, get plenty of rest, train like hell, and save the $$$ for your daily dose of post workout cafe lattes ;)