CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-14-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Asaf Gil

Profile:
It might be a dumb question but anyway...

About a week ago I took my sandbag with me outside for my workout to see how'd it feel like to carry it for distance. On my way back, after shouldering it in horrendous way (putting it on the dip bars, semi squatting underneath which felt not unlike the infamous "can opener" move from BJJ/Wrestling), the weight was crushing me a little and it seemed I couldn't get my core to be tight. Woke up the next day with sore back wondering whether I damaged anything...

Now I'm ready to tackle it again, how should I be carrying the sandbag in terms of back position? engaging my lower back muscles and sticking my butt out a little interferes with natural walking, I seem to round my shoulders thus my upper back and it's hard to keep my core braced like in squats and DLs as I need to breath...

Sandbag Mile veterans?

Asaf
Old 02-14-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Switch positions of the bag while carrying. Go from rt. shoulder to lft, keep abs and glutes tight and back as straight as possible. This will hit the obliques pretty good. Hug the bag and carry it over your shoulders as well. This is works for me. You may have to play with it a little to find what works for you

Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I was sore everywhere. Like Mike said switch the bag around. My traps got it the worst, I could never keep my back straight when I lifted it, but after I lifted I tried to keep neutral spine. My upper back tended to be a bit more rounded. My neck was always bent away from bag, so important to switch. My favorite spots were RT shoulder, Left sh, and across both shoulders. I could never breathe very good when hugging the bag so I did not do that.

The last thing is to wear hard soled shoes. When I wore nice cushioned shoes I felt unstable, like I was going to twist and ankle when the bag got heavy.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Josh Henkin

Profile:  
You can do it a variety of ways, but you want to make sure to keep your posture in good alignment. You may want to start with a lighter bag or go for a shorter distance. You may have simply done too much too fast.

I would agree with some of the other advice and try to rotate holding positions so you don't overwork any one specific hold position. This is usually a pretty hard drill on the body when first done.

Josh Henkin
www.sandbagexercises.com
Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Once I got used to it, I found the most success keeping the bag in one place. I got it to drape across my shoulders evenly, and I would just leave it like that for the whole 'run'.

For any kind of distance (like over 400m) I wouldn't use a bag that I couldn't clean from the ground without assistance. If you are going short distances with breaks, you could go a little heavier. Just remember that if something starts to hurt too much in a bad way, DROP IT.

BTW, you can't listen to anything Craig says - that man is an Animal, and from other stuff he has posted I suspect that he is not human. :biggrin:
Old 02-20-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
Asaf Gil

Profile:
Thanks guys.

I'll try to cycle the positions.
I also removed 20# tried it and felt much better (but still sore) - I'm gonna build up to it slowly.
Asaf