CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Charlie Michel

Profile:
Overhead Squats

When I overhead squat, I lean forward a lot (and not on purpose, obviously). Really on any squat I feel like I lean further forward than the people on the videos or people at the gym. I've noticed that most people turn their toes out when they squat. When I turn my toes out, I can stay much more upright, but the trainer at my affiliate told me that, since I have kinda bad runners knee, I should keep my toes pointing forward as much as possible. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that pointing your toes forward does in fact put less stress on the knees. Also if anyone knew if leaning forward was due to a lack of strength and/or flexibility in any area.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
JR

Profile:  
Re: Overhead Squats

Charlie,
I'm not an expert by any means, but prior to CrossFit, I used to squat with my toes pointing forward. When I switched over to CrossFit, I realized that my squat depth was't quite as deep as it should be. When I started working on getting better squat depth, no matter what I did, I couldn't get low enough. Either I'd lean forward, or my heels would come off the ground.

When I asked a guy at our box with a Level 1 cert he spotted the problem right away. He said by turning my toes out just a tad (30 degrees), I'd get my legs out of the way of my hips, and be able to achieve the depth I was looking for. Sure enough, as soon as I turned my toes out just a tad, I had zero problems achieving depth with my heels on the floor.

Now that I bought a copy of "Starting Strength" I see why having the toes pointed out slightly helps.

I have no idea if toes forward or out will affect your knees. I currently have been running on a partially torn MCL for almost a year now and I've had zero problems between toes-forward, and toes-out squats. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be by with a bit more "informed" opinion.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Michel View Post
When I overhead squat, I lean forward a lot (and not on purpose, obviously). Really on any squat I feel like I lean further forward than the people on the videos or people at the gym. I've noticed that most people turn their toes out when they squat. When I turn my toes out, I can stay much more upright, but the trainer at my affiliate told me that, since I have kinda bad runners knee, I should keep my toes pointing forward as much as possible. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that pointing your toes forward does in fact put less stress on the knees. Also if anyone knew if leaning forward was due to a lack of strength and/or flexibility in any area.
Try it (starting with air squats) and see. As long as you are tracking your knees out over your toes and not letting them cave in as well as keeping your weight on your heels, you should experience no undue stress/pain on the knee. I don't think it's possible for most people to squat to proper depth with their knees pointing straight forward, you end up folding ontop of your thighs and leaning forward as you have found out.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Michael Ingley

Profile:

all I know is that when you point your toes out your hips have less stress on them, so if thats the case your knees will probably have less stress on them too.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

there was a video of rip posted on the main page a few months ago specifically talking about this. he had a student pull up their shirt and demonstrated how the back rounds when the leg is pulled directly straight forward. rip attributed this to basic anatomy and the way that the upper leg fits into the pelvis. so point them 30 degrees.

as far as the 'stress' on the knee is concerned i believe the toes pointed forward is an old globo myth that hasn't been put to rest. i had the same conversation with a former trainer at a globo that believed pointing your toes at 30 degrees was bad for the knee. but rip points out in SS & the SS video that when an athlete squats down they must have their femur in alignment (parallel) with their feet . he demonstrates this with students by having them do an air squat and then pushing their knees out with their elbows at the bottom. what this does is keeps the knee from twisting in anyway.

if you haven't bought rippitoe's starting strength book or video then you are missing out. there has been so much misinformation given out by bad trainers and fitness magazines i cringe at the globo watching people do squats. 19 out of every 20 people i see doing squats are way off. i used to give pointers but stopped after few would listen.

Last edited by Ted Apollo; 08-06-2009 at 12:43 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Ted Apollo

Profile:

as far as overhead squats are concerned it takes awhile to train your nervous system to handle that movement. i actually find it a bit easier to do if i have some weight on the bar (atleast #95) compared to an empty bar. just keep working on them.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Charlie Michel

Profile:

thank you. I've been looking into getting a copy of Starting Strength. Not cheap, but it seems like a seriously worthwhile read.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I don't consider $30 to be expensive, especially considering the content, but it might be for others.

There is also a companion DVD that demonstrates the lifts. I haven't seen it but I'm sure its very good based on the books. Its $23.

wfs
http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail
Old 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
John Praeuner

Profile:

Like others have said, pointing your toes out ~30* will open your hips and allow you to squat lower without forcing A) your heels to lift up or B) your knees in front of your toes.
Just adding my two cents
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

About the forward lean-what kind of shoes are you wearing?