CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Jack Davis

Profile:
Question about recovery

I understand the cycle of 4 weeks full intensity, 4 weeks 1/2 intensity followed by a week off. My question is when you come off your rest week should you start back with the WODs you missed during your off week or start up with the current WOD?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Jason Scheffler

Profile:
Re: Question about recovery

You can do whichever you'd like but I'd just start with what the WOD was the day you start up again. Don't worry about missing a WOD.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Richard Crivello Knable

Profile:

I'd have to say to listen to your body also. There has been days i needed to take and extra day off after some high rep stuff because I'm not used to that type of work. I figured that taking an extra day off is better then getting sloppy because i was sore or tired.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Jack Davis

Profile:

Thanks. I'm 48 yom but feel like I am 28 thanks to CF. But this week I started my 1/2 intensity work on Monday and was gassed when I finished the warmup. So I am taking my week off now. I always feel like I will miss some good WODs an didn't want to miss anything that may be a weak point in my training.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Alex Europa

Profile:

Jason is correct. No need to "catch up" with the WODs you've missed.

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear about the 4/4/1 cycle? I've NEVER heard that before. I've heard of people taking a few DAYS off or at half intensity, but certainly never anything so structured (or long) as what you've listed. As a matter of fact, it's not stated anywhere that you HAVE to take ANY time at half intensity or off. The only way to know when you need some time off is when your performance starts to drop off or if you're starting to feel some of the symptoms of overtraining (moody, trouble sleeping, etc...). Also, realize that Coach probably has a good idea how you're feeling (long term) due to the WODs and sometimes (regardless of how experienced you are) you're going to be REALLY sore or tired, and that's OK/normal, it only becomes a problem when it doesn't seem to be going away after a couple of days (of doing the WODs). Once you've been around a bit longer then you'll see days where it seems to be active rest. This is why new people shouldn't tinker with the programming at first - maybe that 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Shoulder Press day is SUPPOSED to be fairly easy on your body and doing some "extra MetCon" probably isn't the best idea. (Note: this last statement wasn't directed at you, but I'm addressing what I see happen all the time as it relates to your original question.)

I hope that clears things up some...I'm a bit jetlagged, so I appologize if it doesn't seem like a conherent thought.

- Alex
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Jack Davis

Profile:

4/4/1 was suggested in the comments and on the discussion board at various times. It seems to make sense to me because you just can't (I can't) sustain such high levels of intensity for an indefinite period. I have been Crossfitting for about a year and a half and I thought thats how most people approached their training. I wonder how many others are following 4/4/1.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Alex Europa

Profile:

4 weeks of 1/2 intensity training PLUS a rest week seems like a lot of wasted time in eyes. You're doing more "resting" than full bore CrossFitting. I know this is potent stuff, but I think you're blunting the response significantly. You've been at it long enough that your body can handle more sustained intensity if you build up to it.

I would highly recommend that you try to start ratching up the intensity on the 1/2 intensity weeks...like go 5/3/1, then 6/2/1, then 7/1/1, and 8/0/1 and eventually drop the rest week and turn it into 1 or 2 extra rest days when you need it. Over time (it could take you 6 weeks to 6 months, that depends on your body), you'll be following the .com cycle with barely any additional rest other than the occasional day here or there.

EDIT: I think the 1/2 intensity weeks are a great tool for beginners, but after a certain point I think that they are unnecessary and become a hindrance that is based all in the mind. It's time to get back that initial CrossFit vigor...the word "can't" shouldn't be in your dictionary at this point.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa; 02-19-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Uh, the only thing I've heard of is I think either Barry's or Tim's (might be someone else I forgot):

4 weeks full
1 week 1/2
4 weeks full
1 week 1/2
4 weeks full
1 week off
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I agree, 4 weeks at half seems like a very long time. What I've read from other sources (Pavel, Dinosaur Training, some very high ranked IPF Powerlifters) is along the lines of what Steven posted.

Even if you had recovery issues (stress at work, new baby, anything that interferes with sleep, stress reduction and proper eating), I would think fewer days at full intensity would be better then the same number of days at less intensity.

IN the begining, you may want to follow a strict schedule, but you need to learn how to listen to your body and take rests when you need them, not when the calendar says you should. ANd you will need rest.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Even if you had recovery issues (stress at work, new baby, anything that interferes with sleep, stress reduction and proper eating), I would think fewer days at full intensity would be better then the same number of days at less intensity.
Maybe it's the jet lag, but you lost me here.

- Alex