CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Ron Stone

Profile:
how much is too much soreness ?

ok been trying to stick with the WOD and substituting as necessary. (If I lack equipment, knowledge, whatever...I am subbing in one of the WOD in the FAQ) ...I dont want any of the above things to stop me from doing a crossfit workout of some kind. My question is on musle soreness..
yesterday i did as many rounds as I could of 15 push ups, 12 dips and 9 overhead presses(thrust press ithink they were called)...(20 minute limit)
Im pretty sore today upperbody wise and I am sure todays WOD (pullup ladder) will make me ever more sore. Does there come a point where the soreness is a sign of your workouts not being effective ? I know people say listen to your body but if I would stop everytime I got sore I would never work out. How do you know when too much pain is no gain ?
Mentally I can handle it but I will back off if its going to hurt my muscle growth.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: how much is too much soreness ?

gradually increase the intensity...You'll get to a point where you never really get sore. I instruct my clients to start off at 3 days per week. Then, when they feel up to it, add a 4th day and so on, until they can do a 3 on 1 off schedule.

If you're too sore take a day off. Make sure you scale and listen to your body. Also. On your rest days don't just lay around (not that you are). Go for walks, stretch out, etc.

Everybody will get sore in the beginning. If you get sore after doing it for 6 months something is wrong.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

I would avoid doing two pull-up centric days in a row. This also applies to any other exercise. Variance is the key. Mix it up. Hit other muscles.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Maybe initially. Once your body adapts you won't need to worry about that. Just follow the programming.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Ron Stone

Profile:

thanks guys. Yesterday I did all pushing movements but of course my upper body in general is sore. Maybe I will do some type of lower body movement today.....I think I hear "Nancy" calling me....
I am no stranger to training 6 days a week however it was always weights/cardio alternating with a good deal of stretching in between.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

I know I'm too sore if it hurts to get out of bed or if I get a tingling sensation in the affected area when I try to move it. For example, front squats make my quads sore. Next day my quads are so sore that when I try to run there is a really bad tingling, almost like pins and needles. Time to stop and ice it. Or pick a different WOD.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're sore for more than 2-3 weeks in row you're doing too much. Rest and then scale back.

Soreness should begin to pretty much dissipate within 2-3 weeks if not by 4 weeks. Only heroes and brutal workouts should make you sore.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Soreness should begin to pretty much dissipate within 2-3 weeks if not by 4 weeks. Only heroes and brutal workouts should make you sore.
I agree with this except in the case of someone that has a relatively high level of fitness from the start and is progressing through the scaling ranks quickly (for example, Pack one week, Porch for 2 weeks, then as Rx'd). Once they hit 4 weeks at a constant level (i.e.: as Rx'd, Pack scaling, whatever), then the soreness will start to dissipate, but as long as the volume is increasing then the soreness will remain.

- Alex
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you're sore for more than 2-3 weeks in row you're doing too much. Rest and then scale back.

Hey Steven, I just read the "What is a CrossFitter?" Thread and noted your (and others) comment about soreness.

I'm curious in particular about the thought that after a period of time in training, one should rarely experience soreness/DOMS, or they're doing something wrong.

I've been CFing for about 5 months (worked out regularly for a couple of years before that). I've worked my way up to RX'd on probably 75% of the WOD's and am seeing improvement on virtually every benchmark (especially the strength-specific ones).

However, I still regularly experience DOMS. Not every day or after every workout, but maybe 1-2 days out of a given week. It's almost never a debilitating soreness, or even close. Just a low-level state of soreness.

So, what am I doing wrong? Not recovering well enough? Or maybe it's just what Alex said...I'm still in flux between RX'd and scaled and constantly moving up that chain?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Hey Steven, I just read the "What is a CrossFitter?" Thread and noted your (and others) comment about soreness.

I'm curious in particular about the thought that after a period of time in training, one should rarely experience soreness/DOMS, or they're doing something wrong.

I've been CFing for about 5 months (worked out regularly for a couple of years before that). I've worked my way up to RX'd on probably 75% of the WOD's and am seeing improvement on virtually every benchmark (especially the strength-specific ones).

However, I still regularly experience DOMS. Not every day or after every workout, but maybe 1-2 days out of a given week. It's almost never a debilitating soreness, or even close. Just a low-level state of soreness.

So, what am I doing wrong? Not recovering well enough? Or maybe it's just what Alex said...I'm still in flux between RX'd and scaled and constantly moving up that chain?
I think that's about right...If you do 70 ring dips you'll know you did them. But it won't stop you from doing more.