CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Charles Whitworth

Profile:
Soreness

I have done a couple scaled-down crossfit workouts before (trying to swap over completely), but this one made me so sore I could barely walk or sit down. My shoulders were so tight and sore I could barely raise my arms for about 2 days. Still fighting leg soreness 3 days later. This is the type of soreness where you cry instantly when your girl jumps on your lap. Or the kind where you feel like a peg-legged pirate.

--Thrusters w/ 35 lb DB 21/15/9
--Pullups, Bodyweight to failure then weight-reduction-machine until done w/reps. 21/15/9
--3 laps sprinting straightaways and walking curves on track

I have heard crossfit makes you sore, but did not think it would be worse than GVT soreness. Hard to believe such "light" weights can do this

My main question is how long does it take to adapt enough to the workouts to at least do them 3 on and 1 off?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Re: Soreness

You never adapt! You just keep making them harder for yourself - that's the whole idea.

As for your soreness - careful you don't over do it - have you read any posts on rhabdo?

When you feel that achy a nice hot bath often helps - in the evening, not straight after a workout. Straight after a workout you can ice or contrast shower/bath. Self massage is also key - look up thestick.net (WFS) and look into foam rollers.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Charles...there's no need to endure that level of soreness. No benefit whatsoever. You've just caused yourself to miss several days of effective workouts, and you can't possibly look forward to doing it again. You're clinically injured. Learning to scale effectively is great when just beginning, and it'll pay off when you're further into CrossFit.

I'd be willing to bet that such pain in the beginning is the major contributor to the churn rate in CrossFit. We'd hate to lose you, so please have a good look at the Brand X scaled workouts.

BTW, I read something about a peg-legged pirate recently. I think her last name was McArtney.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Whitworth View Post
I have done a couple scaled-down crossfit workouts before (trying to swap over completely), but this one made me so sore I could barely walk or sit down. My shoulders were so tight and sore I could barely raise my arms for about 2 days. Still fighting leg soreness 3 days later. This is the type of soreness where you cry instantly when your girl jumps on your lap. Or the kind where you feel like a peg-legged pirate.

--Thrusters w/ 35 lb DB 21/15/9
--Pullups, Bodyweight to failure then weight-reduction-machine until done w/reps. 21/15/9
--3 laps sprinting straightaways and walking curves on track

I have heard crossfit makes you sore, but did not think it would be worse than GVT soreness. Hard to believe such "light" weights can do this

My main question is how long does it take to adapt enough to the workouts to at least do them 3 on and 1 off?
Charles,

Welcome! I am new to CF (just 2 weeks now) and have endured only minor soreness and stiffness. I spend 10 to 15 minutes stretching after my workouts and sometimes, before I go to bed. Helps immeasurably!

I'd follow Kevin's suggestion for scaling your workouts http://www.crossfitbrandx.com and concentrate on form and execution of each exercise. Take things slowly............If you have any questions or are not as knowledgeable about CF as you'd like to be, see the "Start Here" link on the CF home page. Lots of great info there, which will help to limit your discomfort as much as anything possible.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Charles--
Welcome to CrossFit!
I appreciate your enthusiasm for training, but keep it safe.
We scale workouts for a reason, and each person will be different on this.
Take your time, and find an intensity you handle several times a week without feeling like you've been hit by a truck.
A reasonable amount of soreness is to be expected, but not excrutiating pain.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I suffered from lots of soreness in my first week. However, I hadn't really worked out in years, so I expected my body would be sore. I found that at that level of soreness, if I was sore for 2 days in a row, taking off one day helped tremendously. If I go for 3 days in a row sore, my third workout is crushing and generally I can't lift nearly as much weight. After that one rest day, though, I'm able to up my weight again. This isn't anything based in any kind of medical knowledge. It's just me listening to my bod and what it is telling me it needs.

This is one of the great things about being a newbie: every workout includes a PR!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
David Sumner

Profile:

Charles,
Soreness hits everyone pushing themselves in crossfit workout. General soreness will always exist the first or second day after a hard workout. Most attribute the soreness to lactic acid buildup because that is what they have heard. That is not the case though. When you work your muscles hard they tear apart. A little bit of soreness means some muscle fiber damage has occurred. A lot of painful soreness means a lot of muscle fiber damage. Rhabdo is caused by an extreme case of muscle fiber damage. The "exploded" muscle fibers dump myoglobin and protein into your blood stream and can cause serious kidney damage. If you notice darker than usual urine after a physically demanding workout you may be suffering from rhabdo. A mild case can be overcome in a couple days, but a serious case (pee looks like coca-cola) and/or severe pain in your muscles can put you in intensive care for a week.

When you are just starting out you need to be more cautious about how sore you become. As your body adapts to the workouts and your muscles become tempered you will be able to push yourself harder and harder. Rhabdo generally happens to new Crossfitters. Seasoned Crossfitters are less susceptible, but they too have to be aware.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Has anyone found a supplement or diet addition to help the muscles recover faster. I am thinking of trying the Recoverite by Hammer Nutrition. I usually just prefer good healthy whole food to satisfy nutritional requirements but at my age (47) I wouldn't mind an edge to move past that soreness sooner. Crossfit leaves no muscle untouched by it's wrath. It seems each WOD brings a new pain and learning curve. Be nice if when I misjudge the scaled aspect I could move past that sooner and enjoy another and another and...
Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Robert Newman

Profile:

check out paleo/ zone diet, and make sure you're getting your omega 3s. I prefer eating fish buy you can also get the capsules. Try and keep the wod short and sweet. I'm starting over again after a broken foot then 3 month vacation. 10 min is usually enough the first month+. Also a 3/1/2/1 days of workout/rest days might help prevent you from overworking yourself instead of 3/1. Diet will make as big a difference as the wods do as well.
Welcome to crossfit, enjoy the lactic acid
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
Has anyone found a supplement or diet addition to help the muscles recover faster. I am thinking of trying the Recoverite by Hammer Nutrition. I usually just prefer good healthy whole food to satisfy nutritional requirements but at my age (47) I wouldn't mind an edge to move past that soreness sooner. Crossfit leaves no muscle untouched by it's wrath. It seems each WOD brings a new pain and learning curve. Be nice if when I misjudge the scaled aspect I could move past that sooner and enjoy another and another and...
Hey Wendy,

Welcome to CF! I don't use supplements, save for protein powder (occasionally) and a good multi-vitamin. I just ensure I eat enough protein and watch the carbs. As Robert mentioned, the Paleo or Zone diets are excellent for supporting CF. I'm doing WeightWatchers with my wife, so I've adapted my diet to include more protein. I also stretch a lot - - both after my workouts and before I go to bed. I also stretch on my rest days. It has done wonders for my flexibility and has all but eliminated most soreness from my muscles. Sure, there are some days where it's more uncomfortable than others, but it's definitely bearable.