CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Soreness

before you start sayin to search the forums, i already did and could not find the answer to my question. I started crossfit back in mid july and in a month i was not too sore after workouts. Now im at college and everytime i do a workout, i feel like im gonna die from the soreness. It is worse than when i started doin crossfit. I did the 50 pull-ups and 185 lb deadlift for 21 reps for 3 rounds for time yesterday and about an hour or so after, i felt dead. my lower back kills and still hurts and my shoulders and upper back are extremely sore. Ive had to resort to 1 day on and 1 day off. I tried the hot/cold approach in the shower, its ok but not effective. When i first got to college, i did workouts involving pull-ups every other day (stupid of me now that i look back on it). Is the extreme soreness because i dont get enough sleep (5-6 hours per day at most and tired throughout the day) or b/c i did alot of pull-ups every other day?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Soreness

Well, you probably need more sleep than that.

But it's also because you've never done something of this intensity before. When initially starting something this intense you should definitely be easing into it instead of just going balls to the walls because it's going to be tough on your body to recover.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

You probably want about 8 hours of sleep at least.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

yea il try to get more sleep. Thanks for the advice Steven i forgot about how higher intensity kills you at first
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Sleep is a factor. Another factor for college kids is nutrition. At home most of you have mommy cooking good meals now and then but at school you're grabbin what you can at all hours of the day. It might not be the case with you, but your nutrition plays a huge role in your recovery. Sleep helps you recover, food helps you recover, more workouts do not help you recover however. The workouts break you down, the recovery brings you back better than before. If you're working out without proper recovery you're just spiralling downward. A third piece of advice, drink LOTS of water. Dilution is the solution to pollution. Drink lots of water to help flush the body's by-products out of your system. So, eat well, sleep well, drink well.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Yea theres a small selection of healthy foods that are avaliable daily and theres rarely a healthy special of the day. my nutrition is pretty good right now, probably not gettin enough fruit/vegetables b/c theres not much but i hav almonds n smart balance peanut butter n balance bars to serve as snacks in between meals. Thanks Corey im gonna try to change my sleepin habits
Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

under recovery.

I'd put money on it. I had the same thing when our youngest was born last year, that kid didn't sleep through the night until like 9 months, and then he did it for about a week, and started getting up again. The longest I got to sleep for was like 4 hours for NINE MONTHS. It was killing me, and I could tell a huge difference once I started getting enough sleep.