CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Josh Alford

Profile:
I just started with Crossfit in April. I have done traditional workouts most of my life. The traditional theory is that all muscles, no matter how small, need a 24-48 hour period for full recovery. Does Crossfit subscribe to this methodology?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Robert Miller

Profile:
Josh,

Not really.. However, it would be uncommon to find subsequent WOD's that stressed the body in the same way.. For example, we did Thrusters a few days ago followed the next day by Squats. On face value, this goes against the traditional theories that you're referring to. On closer inspection, you'll see that the rep ranges for both days are completely different, and therefore the stress (and 'discipline' worked, eg. strength vs. endurance vs. metcon, etc) is different as well.

That said, I can't say that I haven't went into a WOD with a sore muscle knowing that I was about to abuse it again. My advice is to let go of some of these traditions and give it a try. It doesn't mean you have to go 100% every workout (especially in these situations), but hitting the same muscles two days in a row isn't gonna do any long-term harm.

Thanks!
Rob Miller
Springfield, PA
Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Hi Josh,

Don't sweat it. With CrossFit you get to sit back an relax. Coach does a great job with structuring workouts. As you continue in the program notice how the workloads and movements ebb and flow. You'll find Coach will push the whole or a body part for a while and then ease off. Do a search on over-reaching and non-linear periodization if you're interested in how it works.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Josh, I would caution you to scale the WoD to match your abilities. This is somewhat tangental to your question but important I think. I jumped right in and tried doing the WoD as posted. This produced results but have recently discovered that my results come faster by doing about 60% of the posted WoD. This allows me to get a high intensity workout in and lets me recover better to make a similiar effort the next day.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Cal Jones

Profile:
A lot of it depends on your fitness, strength and ability.

For me, as a relative newbie who rarely did compound leg movements due to bad knees, those thrusters blasted my thighs. My quads were sore for about three days. There was no way I was going to do squats after that.
For someone who squats regularly, it will be a lot less of an issue.

Basically, listen to your body and don't be afraid to take a recovery day if you need it, at least in the beginning.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
Josh Alford

Profile:
Cal/Nick/John/Robert:
Excellent responses. Thanks for your time. I think I may scale back a little even though it irks me a little to do less than the recommended WOD. I guess I should give CF a good six months and let the results speak for themselves. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Josh- I think you have the answer to your own question. If you can recover quickly enough, then you're doing the right workout. If you can't recover, you need to have scaled back. My first week of CrossFit wasn't scaled, and left me nearly immobile. Scaling it down, a la BrandX, for example, means that I'm sore, and not looking forward to a thruster/squat/clean combo, but I'll be able to handle it because I will have recovered sufficiently to work the different systems that are supposed to be taxed by each workout, as Robert mentioned.