CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Adam Scheiner

Profile:
Resetting on the deadlift and What is concidered a set

I have heard a couple of different thoughts on this and I wanted to take this question to a wider audience. How long a break can you take in between each deadlift in a set of 3 or 5?

I have found most people highly dislike it when people go from deadlift to deadlift without re-setting(like in Diane) because it is prone to injuring someone or they feel the weight is bounced off the floor. I agree with this theory, except with lighter weights in a timed workout.

This leaves us with my real concern about dead-stop deadlifts and when is it a set and not just a bunch of heavy singles with a short rest time? For example some people do a rep reset right after and do another. Other people, like myself on occasions(more so when the weights get heavy), will do a rep wait a long time(10 or more seconds) before doing the next. Some people say it's ok to take your time and when I spoke to my trainer (Erin Davidson), she made the analogy to someone doing a squat. There still keeping it on their back then they are still good. Initially this made perfect sense to me, but the more I thought about it the less I think it works. It works if the person deadlifting is taking the break while standing because the grip fatigues (think of how annoying it is to hold the bar in the rack position in a front squat).

So what are you're thoughts? Personally my current take is anything over 10 seconds and it is no longer a set, but mind is clearly still wide open on this subject. Also I think people with really higher end deadlifts need extra rest because of grip fatigue and the fact that the weight is f-ing heavy and you don't joke around with your back with that much. For example, Anthony Bainbridge's 515x5 video.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: Resetting on the deadlift and What is concidered a set

I use 5 seconds as a guideline, but it's not hard and fast, because it's not a competition. It's a training session. Powerlifting competitions are 1 rep affairs. In our training sessions, all we're trying to gauge progress on large and small scales and provide a training stimulus that makes us stronger. If you do a ton of pullups one day, hit a 350x5 DL, you may take up to 10 seconds between reps because your grip is smoked. The following week, you might hit 360x5 with shorter rest, but you've worked your posterior chain harder (and a little faster). The important thing is keeping track of how you perform, so you can program effectively. Make a note: "took ~9 seconds between 4th & 5th rep."

Is it a PR when you take forever between reps? It's your PR; that's up to you. Do you count the last chicken neck pullup? The main thing I think is to ensure that you are consistent and log carefully enough that you know what you acually did on a given day.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Personally I don't allow myself to stand up between reps. Therefore I will reset, regrip etc. but not stand up. This usually amounts to no more than 5 seconds rest. If it was too heavy and I could not complete the set I would either call it a day, or rest and finish the set but note it as a broken set.

But as patrick says, its YOUR training and YOUR PR. So I guess it's up to you to set your own standards.

never something that will be 'tested' - you will either be 'tested' in a for-time setting, or a 1 rep max.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THis was just on Rips forum today

http://www.************.net/forum/sh...hlight=squishy

THis is wfs, but other threads, not so much.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

As long as the hands stay on the bar it is a set. As soon as the hands come off the bar the set is over. Breath as much as you want, just don't let go of the bar

And the reason you don't want to do touch and go DLs is because it is no longer a DL. You are using some bounce off the ground and stretch reflex that is not supposed to be part of the lift. And typically peoples lumbar curve goes to sh*t in touch and goes.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

the name deadlift came from "Lift a dead weight from the floor". If you bounce, it is not a dead weight, therefore not a deadlift. No matter how many reps you do or how light the weight is.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Jamie thanks for that link. From now on I am going to keep my hands on the bar throughout the set.

Jamie and Robert
Can I assume then that you guys don't like the vids of people doing Diane in ridiculous times?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Well they are good and fine, and some of the really strong guys actually have great back posture throughout the workout. Only problem is they are not doing Deadlifts. The workout is 21-15-9 Deadlift, handstand push-ups. A Deadlift starts from a dead stop and is not bounced off the ground at all. I know they are trying to increase power output, but at the same time they are no longer doing the movement prescribed. Try a Diane where you actually do all the reps as Deadlifts. It will be slower and it will be an entirely different workout.

So in summary, I don't mind the videos, I just make note that they are not doing deadlifts but rather some sort of similar exercise

-Robert
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Robert and I are in agreement on this, and I would imagine Rip is as well, since his guys actauly do deadlifts for all the CF workouts.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

The games standard allowed touch-and-go. I do touch and go pretty much for anything above 3 reps. Lower than that and I usually let the weight rest on the floor for just a second and reset my back.