CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
John Ponzetti

Profile:
I am new to CrossFit. I also have downloaded all the CrossFitLive broadcasts. There is a lot of talk on nutrition. I have been doing the Atkins diet, for about 6 -8 weeks. (about the same amount of time doing CrossFit) I lost about 5lbs in the first 2 weeks, and nothing since. I am 41years old 5'9" tall 170lbs with 11.5%bf. I take about 6-8grams of fish oil(Dan John said in his braodcast that if I want to beat him, I need to eat my fish oil)I also take about 8-10grams of glutamine a day.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Atkins can be paleo, depending on the food choices of the dieter. You could follow Atkins and eat bacon, sausage, beef jerky, cheese, low carb snack bars, and other paleo offensive foods choices and still be on Atkins. You could also instead eat all of your calories from meat, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts, and vegetables and just keep carbs in an Atkins friendly range and then you would essentially be doing both Paleo and Atkins. The Crossfit diet prescription is to eat "vegetables, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar." Which is basically paleo. Most Crossfitters base their diets around the Crossfit prescription and then tweak their diets to fit their activity level, taste, and convenience. I personally follow a diet that is similar to Atkins with good success. Others fail miserably on Atkins. I say stick with Atkins and make sure you get plenty of fat (butter, fatty cuts of meat, nuts and seeds,fish or fish oil) and get your carbs from paleo sources (nuts and seeds, vegetables, and fruit(if you tolerate it)) Stick with this for another month and see how things go. If everything goes well, then stick with it. Otherwise, let us know and I'm sure other crossfitters and I can help you tayor things to your needs. Other than that everything looks good. Keep hitting the WOD hard and make sure you put and emphasis on eating plenty of fat and I promise the weight will fall off.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Here is a good summary from Cordain on the Paleodiet (at least his version of it): http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...ych%202005.pdf