CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

I saw some exta-virgin, cold pressed olive oil at my grocery store and it was expensive and fancy-looking, so I bought it. At home I noticed the "do not refrigerate" label. I seem to remember reading that this means it was processed poorly and probably isn't healthful.

Brand name is "Montolivo". Thanks.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Oil doesn't need refrigeration. The difference in terminology between oil and fat is that oil is liquid at room temp, and fat is solid. Melted butter is, therefore oil, and refrigerated oil will turn into fat. That is not to say that olive oil contains the Omega3/Omega6 fatty acids that humans cannot self-produce. I'm drawing a blank on that one, but given the fish oil craze, I'd venture a guess that olive oil isn't 3/6 rich.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
There's a bad olive oil? I've never seen an olive oil that doesn't say "do not refrigerate". You're good.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
The reason it says not to refridgerate is because if you refridgerate (which I do anyway), it becomes solid and takes about a day to thaw. I fill up a neat glass pouring bottle that makes it easier to pour, leave that one out, and put the big bottle in the fridge so it will keep better. If I know I'm going to have to refill, I remove from the fridge and leave it out overnight. No harm done.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
Like Brendon says.

And also, olive oil is not bad if you can't refrigerate it. I think somewhere you got your wires crossed with different oils. Flaxseed oil and fish oil do better with refrigeration.

Troy, you should only buy first cold press extra virgin olive oil and preferably organic.

I think what you got is fine Jason as long as you have other fats in your diet with more omega 3 so that you get the right ratios.

First Cold Press Extra Virgin Olive oil has a lot of antioxidants which is one of its main benefits.

One of the overlooked factors of the mediteranian diet is that they do eat a lot of seafood rich in omega 3's. So while olive oil may play a part it may not be the secret factor to the long life of the Cretens and Sardinians (who made the meditaranian diet so popular being some of the longest lived peoples around).

Other over looked factors play a part like rich in seafood, plenty of fresh organic fruits and vegetables. Moderate activity throughout the day. Very low stress, everybody in the community is valued, close ties within the community etc