CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Robert Beckett

Profile:
Article: Exertion-enhanced camaraderie and the "Love Hormone"

This article doesn't mention CrossFit, but its discussion of the social bonding effects of athletic activity brought CF to mind.

From the article:
“Lots of stresses can trigger oxytocin release, among them exercise," says William Kenkel, a doctoral candidate at the University of Illinois at Chicago..."it stands to reason, then,” that such exercise-related oxytocin release “could facilitate social bonding.”

Oxytocin facilitates the ability to read other people’s emotions, and it deepens bonds between group members and heightens suspicion of and antagonism toward those outside the group..."
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...er/?ref=health (link is SFW)