CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Thought you guys might find the following interesting... (Not clear whether research based or just someone's opinion?)

"Flax seed oil is awesome. I used it as a fat-loss aid when I was a competitive swimmer... and should get motivated to use it again!

It contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil, minus that horrible "fishy" after taste

In terms of sports performance it can help as it:

-Shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion.
- Increases the body's production of energy and also increases stamina.
- Accelerates the healing of sprains and bruises.
- Stimulates brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate making it easier to burn off fat.
- Improves the absorption of Calcium.... thus reducing injuries
- Can relieve some cases of Asthma.

Other general life benefits are
- Can improve eyesight and perception of colors.
- Can often improve the function of the liver.
- Can relieve the side effects and stop development of many forms of cancer.
- Helpful in the treatment of Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dandruff.
- Can relieve the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. It can relieve the symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus.
- Can alleviate some allergies.
- Helps prevent Atherosclerosis (the accumulation of fatty deposits inside the blood vessels, especially the large and medium-sized arteries, that many people experience during the aging process).
- Lowers high blood pressure in Hypertension sufferers.
- Has been scientifically proven to treat some cases of depression.
- Can improve the mental function of many old age pensioners.
- Can help in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Has been proven to improve the behavior of Schizophrenics.
- Can relieve some cases of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) in females.

Make sure to keep it in the fridge, because at a certain heat it changes into a different kind of fat. Also make sure you buy the high quality stuff as it is prone to rancidity. It wont happen over night but it will happen.... Flax seed oil takes a bit of time to be absorbed into the body before the full beneficial effects begin, ranging anywhere from a few days to as many as six weeks, depending on the individual."

I know Sears warns of the high levels of ALA in flaxseed oil but maybe it has other benfits which offset this?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
My mom buys flax MEAL a lot. Not as many fats as flax oil, but the carbs are pure fiber. I like to put it in shakes and other assorted things.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Are there phytoestrogens in flax seed products?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Flax is good stuff, but the rancidity problem is often understated. It is extremely difficult to keep fresh. I am lucky that I have a friend who is a fanatic. He buys cases direct from the factory when they press the oil; we keep it frozen from the minute he receives it. It is thick but still pours frozen. In the fridge, it won't stay fresh long.

Using the meal is good too. Again, my friend is a fanatic but he grinds his meal when he is ready to use it. I guess even the meal can go a little rancid. (I'd welcome any other ideas on this.) The whole seed, however, won't digest, and it's tough to chew. He grinds it in a coffee grinder and mixes it in hummus and it is really good.

The fiber in flax contains lignans. Flax lignans are "weakly estrogenic" or so I am told. For women, this can be a good thing, as they bind to the estrogen receptor and have less activity than actual estrogen. So for women, it can help hormonal balance. For men, it is trickier; it is hard to say whether the weak estrogenic activity of the lignans, with little estrogen to displace, will be less net effect or more.

I personally just go for regular oil, not a high lignan oil. I am afraid to open that can of worms. This is a tricky issue, another one where any ideas, opinions, of even half baked theories would be welcome.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

How long does it keep in the fridge? I have an old bottle in there; I wasn't aware it goes bad.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Shane Andrews

Profile:  
Hey Brad,

See:

Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Dec;76(6):1191-201

It seems that phytoestrogens are in flaxseed itself, I assume this includes oils or preparations from it.

Interesting topic. I will bug the lab next door for more input about this. They are doing alot of work on estrogen receptors and ERR's estrogen related receptors, and a whole host of other stuff.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Thanks Shane... I'll raid the Pfizer library when I go there tonight.
:-)
Brad
Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Ryan, it only keeps a couple weeks in the fridge, it keeps for many months in the freezer.

The taste and smell is tells the tale. Fresh flax has very, very little taste or odor. I didn't realize all of the stuff I was buying was rancid until I finally got some fresh oil.

Honestly most people will not be able to get fresh flax oil. It really should be sold as a frozen food.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

I know Sears warns of the high levels of ALA in flaxseed oil but maybe it has other benfits which offset this?

This is an interesting question, just a couple things to throw into the mix.

I believe Sears has two issues with ALA and the Zone: ALA isn't as effective as DHA and EPA for the production of good eicosanoids, and ALA inhibits the production of GLA (the building block of good eicosanoids).

I am not sure this but... LA (including ALA) can be converted to EPA and DHA, and in fact supplementing LA is a good way to insure high levels of EPA / DHA. It might not be as good as huge doses of fish oil, but it is certainly good. Either way, the effect on PGE3s should be positive. As far as GLA, I didn't think that GLA was the only fatty acid that made eicosanoids through cyclooxygenase - I thought EPA and DHA did too. Also, I thought GLA could be made from ALA, not that ALA inhibited GLA production.

I am way over my head here scientifically, but empirically, I suspect this might be one thing Sears has wrong, just based on personal observations.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Check in the arcives for a pretty thourough discussion on Flax.
Robb