CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Choosing the best strength program

Actually, you can keep your conditioning with 2 WODs per week.

In terms of best strength program why not look at Westside? It truly is a superior program.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

So here is the problem Chris how do you blend the o-lifts with the westside. I haven't really seen a good template that does this, do you know of one?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
So here is the problem Chris how do you blend the o-lifts with the westside. I haven't really seen a good template that does this, do you know of one?

Well, it can certainly be done, but is she is interested in generally getting stronger why bother?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Well, it can certainly be done, but is she is interested in generally getting stronger why bother?
I am interested in greater strength overall, but also want to improve my Oly lifts as well. I am at a decent place strength wise. Bench is a little weak, and cleans too.

I did Wichita Falls SS in the fall and loathed back squatting 3x a week. I like the variation in the Cathletics programs and the conditioning work that is built in. I need to nail down my goals and stick to them. I am so freakin wishy washy.

Chris, I'll be your pet project if you wanna help me with programming.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Because she mentioned the catalyst WODs which is an O-lifting gym. You wouldn't follow those WODs unless you wanted to improve your O-lifts I would imagine.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
I am interested in greater strength overall, but also want to improve my Oly lifts as well. I am at a decent place strength wise. Bench is a little weak, and cleans too.

I did Wichita Falls SS in the fall and loathed back squatting 3x a week. I like the variation in the Cathletics programs and the conditioning work that is built in. I need to nail down my goals and stick to them. I am so freakin wishy washy.

Yeah once you pick your goals stick with it. I am the same way, everything else is good training wise except for sticking with one program. You just have to realize that some things will lag but don't let it get to you stick to a program.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
If it isn't too much of a bother, I would love to take a peek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Based on Rip's recommendations and how I ran linear progression on my squats with Oly for two months, I would do:

Monday:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Tuesday:
Snatch
C&J

Wednesday:
REST

Thursday:
Squat 3x5
Bench/Press (alternate weeks) 3x5

Friday:
Snatch
C&J
Front squat 1x3 or 2x3 depending on how you are recovering from your squats. These would be the first things to go if you're not recovering.

Saturday/Sunday:
REST

Oly days FOLLOW strength days because linear progression takes priority. This template assumes that you know what Oly programming you are going to follow. I did this first with the Sandusky beginner template and then with a Pendlay beginner template.

This template does NOT allow for metcons because your Oly work is in addition to your linear progression, which affects your recovery.

The other alternative that I like is the 70's Big program, which Arturo outlined. You will have linear progression + metcons, but your "Oly" is just power cleans. It is not designed to improve your Oly technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
From my experience it is not worth completely taking a break from met-cons. So painful coming back to them.
It definitely is a pain. About 2 years ago when my conditioning was at it's height, I did 10 strict burpees at the top of each minute for 10 minutes. Now I'm only about 2 months back into metcons and we did tabata burpees (and they were cf regulation style so they weren't strict at all) and I only got 8 within the first 20 second interval. I was SHOCKED... and a bit crapped out.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:

Lol, very kind of you. I might be able to help. Another question, WHY do you want to improve your O-lifts? What is your overriding training goal? Do you want to be competitive in CF, O-lifting, or just to be stronger etc.?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Chris--
A bit of a threadjack, but I remember seeing John Welbourn post this link awhile back and wanted to get your thoughts on it:

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/20...ms-with-batson (WFS)
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
WHY do you want to improve your O-lifts?
http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/ ??

WFS